Homeowner With Gun Hesitates And Robbery Turns Tragic

Commander_Cob

This is the first murder in my hometown this year. A 69 year old man was stabbed to death by a knife-armed robber. It sounds like the robber stabbed him, then stole his gun, although it is unclear whether the homeowner had immediate access to his gun. It's also odd that the murderer is not being held on murder charges, but rather on "felon in possession of a firearm". (Note to self, don't hesitate to shoot anyone that comes into home wielding knife with intent to cause harm.)

Top Story: Portales man charged in Monday's homicide | portales, berry, monday : Portales News-Tribune

Excerpt taken from Portales News Tribune:

"A 46-year-old Portales man has been arrested in connection with the Monday stabbing death of a 69-year-old man.

Police are citing robbery as a motive for the slaying of Don Chapman.

Isaac Montano II has been in custody since shortly after the homicide, Berry said, held on charges of a felon in possession of a firearm.

About 5 p.m. Monday, officers found Chapman inside his residence at 901 S. Main in Portales. He was semiconscious and suffering from stab wounds.

Berry said officers were initially called to the area after witnesses saw Montano walking around covered in blood.

“When he left the scene he had so much blood on him that people that saw him after he walked out thought that he was injured,” Berry said.

When officers found Montano he was uninjured and was carrying a firearm belonging to Chapman, a knife and Chapman’s wallet, Berry said.

They went to the Chapman residence to see if he was injured, Berry said, and discovered him.

Berry said witnesses saw the two men in front of the Chapman residence talking, then they went inside.

Berry said police believe Montano tried to rob Chapman and Chapman was hurt when he resisted.

Berry said Chapman was retired and officers did not see much at his residence to attract a would-be robber.

The homicide is the first in Portales this year."

Last edited:
How tragic. I'm going to withhold judgment until all the facts are in, because clearly they are all not, such as whether or not the homeowner had immediate access to his gun. I will, however, say that any time a homeowner is also a gun owner, he should have the upper hand against anyone he hears breaking into his home by having a gun ready to be used at a moment's notice. No gun owning homeowner should ever leave end up the way this man ended up. Nevertheless, may God bless his soul.

If this gentleman didn't have immediate access to his weapon, he should have. I always make sure my weapon is either on me at home or immediately accessible. One can't be too cautious these days.

I agree that if your firearm is not where you can get to it quickly it may not do you any good. Most of the time when I am in my house my main carry gun may not be on me but it is in the same room and very close. I also have a couple of my others where I can obtain them.

that is too bad.
I have one of my pistols next to me at this very moment. with all the crap happening in today's world you should never have one too far away.

This is the first murder in my hometown this year. A 69 year old man was stabbed to death by a knife-armed robber. It sounds like the robber stabbed him, then stole his gun, although it is unclear whether the homeowner had immediate access to his gun. It's also odd that the murderer is not being held on murder charges, but rather on "felon in possession of a firearm". (Note to self, don't hesitate to shoot anyone that comes into home wielding knife with intent to cause harm.)

Top Story: Portales man charged in Monday's homicide | portales, berry, monday : Portales News-Tribune

Excerpt taken from Portales News Tribune:

"A 46-year-old Portales man has been arrested in connection with the Monday stabbing death of a 69-year-old man.

Police are citing robbery as a motive for the slaying of Don Chapman.

Isaac Montano II has been in custody since shortly after the homicide, Berry said, held on charges of a felon in possession of a firearm.

About 5 p.m. Monday, officers found Chapman inside his residence at 901 S. Main in Portales. He was semiconscious and suffering from stab wounds.

Berry said officers were initially called to the area after witnesses saw Montano walking around covered in blood.

“When he left the scene he had so much blood on him that people that saw him after he walked out thought that he was injured,” Berry said.

When officers found Montano he was uninjured and was carrying a firearm belonging to Chapman, a knife and Chapman’s wallet, Berry said.

They went to the Chapman residence to see if he was injured, Berry said, and discovered him.

Berry said witnesses saw the two men in front of the Chapman residence talking, then they went inside.

Berry said police believe Montano tried to rob Chapman and Chapman was hurt when he resisted.

Berry said Chapman was retired and officers did not see much at his residence to attract a would-be robber.

The homicide is the first in Portales this year."

It looks like they may have known each other, regardless, this wasn't a break and enter robbery, unless the guy had a knife on the victim outside, but the witnesses didn't note that.

It looks like they may have known each other, regardless, this wasn't a break and enter robbery, unless the guy had a knife on the victim outside, but the witnesses didn't note that.

If that was true, it means you never know when someone you know might turn on you. My prayers go out to his friends and family.

A bit of an update for this story.

The murderer appears to be nutso, and it looks like he has been let off in the past because of his mental competency. He claims that the deceased gentleman picked him up to do yard work, but then began making sexual passes at him at which time he "blacked out".

This guy is playing the crazy card from the get-go. I hope he doesn't get off easy. Also, be careful when you hire a handy-man off the streets. Sadly I'm sure Mr. Chapman thought he was doing a good service by helping this guy out.

Full Story Here:
News: Suspect in Portales man's death had a history of mental competency issues | portales, montano, records : Portales News-Tribune

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back