home protection

Pauline

I'm about to purchase my first pistol for home protection. Thinking of a 9mm. Small hands. Any suggestions?

Check out a Ruger SR9C. Go to a gun shop that has a shooting range and will let you try out some different guns for things such as size weight, kick, and price. There are several Ruger 9mm guns that are excellent. But you have to go with what is best for you. I, nor anyone else can pick it for you. It has to be the best for you and what you can afford.

Go to a range/store that rents various handguns and try them out. While at the range, take a handguns basics class and try to understand what tool you need to get the job done.

Smaller hands doesn't equal smaller firearms. The smaller and lighter the firearm is, the more recoil it has and the more difficult it is to control with small hands.

If you do not plan to carry the handgun concealed, consider a larger model that has higher capacity and weight. My recommendation would be a 9mm Glock 19, a 9mm Glock 17 or a .45 ACP Glock 21.

Make sure to seek training. While training classes may initially seem expensive to you, they are worth the money. You will learn when and how to use the firearm, how to maintain it, how to store it in a reasonable way (i.e., loaded and locked away when not at home), and its limitations. Inform yourself about your state laws regarding lawful self defense using lethal force.

Make sure to practice regularly. Become a member of a gun range and visit it at least once a month, shooting 100-300 rounds with every visit. While at a training class, you learn a lot of new things. Practice is meant to exercise and master what you have learned, such that when the need arises, you have the skills. Stock up on practice ammunition by purchasing in bulk.

Lastly, understand that handguns are rather inefficient firearms when it comes to stopping a threat. Shotguns and rifles have significantly better stopping power, i.e., capability to incapacitate a threat.

+1 on the Ruger SR9C. I too have small hands and for a double stack the grip is surprising thin. You can also buy the 17 rd SR9 mags with an adapter for more firepower. Trust me I've tried them all and the Ruger is far and away the best choice. I also have and carry a Kahr CM9 but with a smaller capacity 7 rds.

+1 on the Ruger SR9C. I too have small hands and for a double stack the grip is surprising thin. You can also buy the 17 rd SR9 mags with an adapter for more firepower. Trust me I've tried them all and the Ruger is far and away the best choice. I also have and carry a Kahr CM9 but with a smaller capacity 7 rds.

I carry the big brother SR9 daily and have for years. They came with 2, 17 rd. mags. I bought 2, 10rd mags. when they were talking about putting on mag limits. if I carried all of them, with on in the chamber I'd be carrying 55 round, but I'd need some steel suspenders to keep my pants up.

I'm about to purchase my first pistol for home protection. Thinking of a 9mm. Small hands. Any suggestions?

For true home protection nothing beets a 12 Gage shot Gun with 00 Buck Shot where you point and pull the trigger. Just that easy and fast.

My home defense gun is a Glock 23. Love it!!!!!! It's a 40 cal.

At Least you are closest to the basic Concealed Carry that will stop the first shot. I carry a 45ACP Hydro-Shock and I know one shot works.
PS: the mind set for carrying is to kill not wound as you may be shot too and die!

At Least you are closest to the basic Concealed Carry that will stop the first shot. I carry a 45ACP Hydro-Shock and I know one shot works.
PS: the mind set for carrying is to kill not wound as you may be shot too and die!

Pure garbage. One-shot stops are related to shot placement and not caliber. .45 ACP is 11.5 mm. Yeah, that extra 2.5 mm (or 5mm expanded) makes .45 ACP a man stopper :lol:

Your mindset is to stop the thread. If your mindset is to kill, I might convict you of murder as a juror. Your choice.

I carry a Walther PPS M2. The grip is really extraordinary and very comfortable for me. I don't care for my guy's Glock 19 as it is not a good grip for my hand. Go check out everything your local stores carry and find one that YOU feel comfortable with.

For true home protection nothing beets a 12 Gage shot Gun with 00 Buck Shot where you point and pull the trigger. Just that easy and fast.

Pure garbage. One-shot stops are related to shot placement and not caliber. .45 ACP is 11.5 mm. Yeah, that extra 2.5 mm (or 5mm expanded) makes .45 ACP a man stopper :lol:

Your mindset is to stop the thread. If your mindset is to kill, I might convict you of murder as a juror. Your choice.

Both of drleephd6530's are pure garbage. I'm surprised there wasn't something in there about "just rack the slide on that big 'ole 12-guage and the intruders will run away in fear when they hear the sound!"

Good advice offered by bofh, and both Navy & bofh have pointed out the absolutely ridiculous and uninformed posts by drleephd6530. If you haven't already made your purchase, see a professional instructor and get some training while trying out several different firearms. You can then make an informed decision.

I suggest Sig P238 and Sig P938. The 238 is .380 acp, while the 938 is 9mm. If you find the recoil on the 938 too much, the 238 May be just right. You can get them with rubber grips / finger grooves that seems to help for many. Birth guns look nearly identical with the 238 just a tiny bit smaller. The picture is for my P938 extreme model with the extended magazine.
The P938 also has 22 conversion kit that allows me to practice using inexpensive ammo. It's also very is easy [low recoil] to shoot.
cd7631a8f2cc389a11ee3357bb1f98fd.jpg

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back