home owners insurance

hiwall

today I was going to switch my homeowners insurance to Amica. The price was fine and I said I would take it. Then they asked if I had any guns. I said yes. They said they would only cover up to $2500 without a detailed list. I said that was fine I would take the loss on any over that amount. Then they asked if any were loaded. I said that at least one was always loaded. They said they would not write a policy unless the guns were all unloaded, locked up, and the ammo stored in a different location. I said I was surprised that was their policy when so many people had concealed carry permits. They stated that they were not to concerned about the owners but others that might have access to the guns(at this point they knew my wife and I lived alone). So I said sorry we can't do business and good by. I have to say I believe their decision must be based on anti-gun views and not on fear of financial loss. Just thought I would pass this on to all of you.:fie:

State farm.. they were great to deal with, and I was able to add even more gun insurance without any issues what so ever. They never asked for a list, or asked if anyone had any loaded guns in the house. Give them a call.

Thanks for the info... I have not even thought about what ours covers..........

Thats just amazing to me. No company is going to dictate to me that i have to have all of my guns unloaded and locked in a safe with the ammo stored in a different location. Its none of there damn business how or were i keep my guns, how i store my ammo, and if there loaded or not.

Im glad you did not get your insurance from them.

Simple: If something happens with one of your guns they may have to pay for it. If you get murdered because all of your guns are inaccesible they will NOT have to pay for it.

You may want to check into USAA insurance, esp if you are active duty, retired, or have an immediate family who served. They are excellent. I have had them for 23+ years and am totally satisfied with them.

You may want to check into USAA insurance, esp if you are active duty, retired, or have an immediate family who served. They are excellent. I have had them for 23+ years and am totally satisfied with them.
I second that; my husband & I have had USAA for over 30 years and they are great.They have good car insurance rates too.

USAA is over priced when it comes to home. My home owners is ~25% lower with Farm Bureau. No one can come even relatively close to USAA's auto though.

Our local firm selected a major underwriter and the question of firearms was never raised. I once dealt with Amica on car insurance, however, and found they were very conservative on who they would write a policy on ... one basically had to have a current Amica customer vouch for you if you did not have a sufficiently long history of recent insurance coverage .... as someone who works overseas for extended periods, I was "suspect" until proven 'worthy'!! (I now use USAA auto, who are more mature in their approach.)

Farm Bureau has taken stances and lobbied for laws in NC that are making it more difficult to hunt with hounds.

I am going to drop mine.

State farm.. they were great to deal with, and I was able to add even more gun insurance without any issues what so ever. They never asked for a list, or asked if anyone had any loaded guns in the house. Give them a call.
State Farm has been good to deal with, in covering my guns.:smile:

Most companies are NOT going to ask about your guns. Almost every policy has a limit on THEFT of guns. In fact, I can't think of the last time I didn't see a policy without an internal limit on theft. Usually, $2,000 to $2,500. The company wants you to "schedule" the items because they are high theft items. (Yes, it is an additional premium.) Most companys assume you will keep them safe. If you didn't schedule the guns, I am betting you may not have the coverage you think you do.
The bigger question is: Did your agent recommend and Umbrella policy? (And how will that react if you shoot someone.) If, he/she didn't, then fire them! YMMV - Yes, I do work in insurance.

I've had Amica for 15 years now and they are great in terms of customer service, i've only had to use them a few times and it was mostly for auto not homeowners. they were very hard to get into when i was younger but i here they are not as bad as before, they're based out of RI, the state i grew up in so that info the OP stated sounds like RI mentality. permits are very rare and EVERYONE is afraid of firearms. when we called them about our home here in TN, the topic of firearms never came up.

I was an agent for 25 years, and an underwriter before that. None of my carriers ever asked that question. If they did, I'd ask them back if they require their auto insureds to never have any gas in their cars. A car can kill more people quicker than any gun after all. :laugh:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back