Home Defense choice

charliej47

:pleasantry: I have seval handguns and a couple of shotguns. My question is for general nighttime protection which would be the best defensive weapon to use.

I know about the laser lights and how intimadating it can be but when you are coming out of a sound sleep in the middle of the night and the BGs are breaking down the door, what are you going to grab? :cray:

Some like shotguns because it is harder to miss the target. The problem is that if the BG is holding a family member it is hard to miss them too. You can not be surgically accurate with a shot gun. Also if you have to go room to room to clear your house a long barreled gun is a more easy target to grab. A hand gun can be kept close to the body. For these reasons I would pick a hand gun.

Staying within the OP

IF they are breaking down the door - they are not in the house yet. You are coming awake from the noise. You can grab the shotgun or your handgun. Which one are you going to grab.

You have a handgun that you can use to hit the target on the 10yd line and you are comfortable with it. You have the semi-auto or pump 12GA that is guaranteed to cover the entire door.

Now do you go for the selective shots on a moving target or go for the sweeper and clear the doorway before they get into the house and possibly get into a gun fight.

My self if I can contain them at the doorway or keep them out I'd go for the pump. :biggrin:

The Shotgun, the pattern will still be about the size of a quarter at in-house firefights. You need to practice, practice, practice.

Would grab me Glock 20 chambered in 10mm Auto off the night stand right next to me. She's got Meprolight night sites, loaded with Cor-Bon 165gr.10mm Auto JHP's rated at 1250/FPS and 537ftlbs..... no worries.

I keep a Springfield XDm-40 with an attached light/laser unit on the nightstand. I also keep 2 extra mags, a handheld light and my electronic ears in the partially opened nightstand drawer.

The more I think about it, and the more reviews I read, the Taurus Judge with a mix of 000 buck and .45 long colt would really be ideal for this type situation.

I would say whatever you feel your most comfortable using under pressure. I know for me, the best weapon I can use in defending my life and the life of my families in my home is whatever firearm I can grab the fastest. I am not going to try to open my safe to grab a shotgun when my .45 is on the nightstand. I do love shotguns though...

I would say whichever one I can get to fastest. I have several pistols nearby.. some long guns a little further. depending on what I am doing at the time I would just go for the closest one. they should all be effective in at least scaring the crap out of whoever is trying to do bad... if not getting rid of them altogether.

Like most have said I think it depends on the scenario. I have both a 12 gauge and a pistol at the ready. If I hear the person outside, in the garage, or in the process of breaking in I'm grabbing the shotgun. One loud rack might be enough to send the would be robber running. If they make it in without waking me or all the way into the bedroom I'm going to grab my CDP. It's within arms reach, night sites, and easier to fight with if the would be robber catches me while I'm still in bed.

I have both

Mossberg 500 under the bed and HK USP.45 in the nightstand. I would rather rack a shotgun slide and have the BG bail back out of the same door or window he came in. (less mess to clean up and a whole lot better for the police report)

If he persists and makes it past me and the Mossy, He still has to deal with the MRS. and the .45 and the dog (half coyote and all teeth).

In our home the SOP is to stay in your room until dad/mom give the all clear. This cuts down on the possibility of accidently hitting a family member.

I have yet to hear of a thief who sticks around after the solid kershack of a twelve ga. pump.

Mossberg 12ga pump....18 inch barrel. We're all upstairs at night. My goal would be to meet them at the door/window as they try to enter. I don't like the thought of putting a hole in the neighbors house.

Last edited:
Benelli SuperNova in the corner next to the nightstand, my EDC .45 on the nightstand, 9mm for the wife in nightstand lock box, flashlight on nightstand. Noise at night means I grab flashlight and either the .45 or the shotgun (depending on the amount of noise), then the wife gets the 9mm.

I have a lot of firearms but when I go home and go to bed I take my carry gun a Kimber Ultra carry II LG and set it on my night stand. I carry this pistol all day and night. I practice with it more then the rest. I feel confident with it in my hands. That is what is more important then what it is .22 LR to 50 sw.What ever you can shoot well

I'm with wolfhunter I have a BENELLI 12 gage with a tac light mounted on the barrel and pressure switch on the forearm in the bedroom with a 9mm on the bedstand.
The BENELLI works great on coons at the barn and they are pretty good eaten, I haven't tried a prowler yet.
Debray

Personally I like the fact that I have three large, loud dogs that sleep next to my bed, but who have free roam of the house at night. If someone gets into the house at night I have more than enough forewarning to grab the .357 off the night stand, turn on the flashlight and meet the BG with 200lbs of dog and 7 x125 gr of lead. I'm pretty comfortable with that combo.

I generally recommend a shotgun in the .410 size. Couple of good points, especally for a "family" type home.
1. It will put someone down HARD in close range, and in CQB it is ALL close range.
2. With bird shot, it will still put someone down HARD at close range....(see above) yet you don't have to worry about over penetration from one room to the next if you family is scattered throughout the house.
3. If you are not home and it needs to be used by someone with a slight body build, say a wife? It will be easier to for her to re-engage after firing a round.
4. Nothing is more intimidating to your standard bad guy than someone yelling "I have called the Police! I have a gun! *CLACK CLACK* Leave now!"
5. It is easier to aim than a pistol, especially at night, in the dark, when you are VERY stressed, and your family is at risk.

and the final one is...... IF you do use it, and IF you do get brought up on charges, having a big black Army Ranger Recon Seal Sniper looking shotgun makes it look like you were just waiting for the poor schmuck to break in so you could fill him with lead! A .410 will look like what it is. A shotgun, not the next bringer of death.

I would also recommend completing the NRA Personal Protection In The Home course. Not a big deal, but it is one more thing to throw down in case you do end up in court. You carry a fire arm to be prepared, well you need to be prepared for after you use it as well.

2. With bird shot, it will still put someone down HARD at close range....(

Apparently there is some controversy about that.

The Box O' Truth #3 - The Shotgun Meets the Box O' Truth - Page 2

Birdshot as a Defense Load
I have had a lot of questions, summed up as follows: How effective is birdshot (#4, #6, #8, etc.) as a defense load?

We have done tests with various birdshot loads. Birdshot penetrated through two pieces of drywall (representing one wall) and was stopped in the paper on the front of the second wall. The problem with birdshot is that it does not penetrate enough to be effective as a defense round. Birdshot is designed to bring down little birds.

A policeman told of seeing a guy shot at close range with a load of 12 gauge birdshot, and was not even knocked down. He was still walking around when the EMTs got there. It was an ugly, shallow wound, but did not STOP the guy. And that is what we want... to STOP the bad guy from whatever he is doing. To do this, you must have a load that will reach the vitals of the bad guy. Birdshot will not do this.

In fact, tests have shown that even #4 Buckshot lacks the necessary penetration to reach the vital organs. Only 0 Buck, 00 Buck, and 000 Buck penetrate enough to reach the vital organs.

Unless you expect to be attacked by little birds, do not use birdshot. Use 00 Buck. It will do the job.

Grab a handgun in emergency.

Just my preference …

It seems that one-hand operation should be assumed.
This usually means a long-barrel handgun, with one safety max.

A reliable revolver with sa/da for safe-ready or real-ready.
A .38 special is usually enough.
A semi only if you also have a bug with you.

I do agree with Oram Security I was a Hunter Safety Instructor and have spent alot of time with our County Game Protector.
I always questioned his weapon of choice for quickly dispatching larger animals in a close and crowded situation.
We had a deer in the local power plant inclosure and all the do gooders were trying to herd it to the nearest gate. In the attemp the deer broke it's leg and Tim was called. He brought his 12 gage full choke with #4 shot, I suggested my 22 rifle with hollow points I use to put down beef and hogs. To my surprise as the deer walked past Tim, one blast from the 12 ga. into the side of the deer killed it instantly, both lungs were totaly destroyed.
With the tac. light fixed to the barrel and sighted in at about 15 yards, you don't have to aim, click the light on and you have a spit second to pull the trigger or not.
I do agree with the *CLACK CLACK*, we were having alot of break ins locally and when they broke down the front door of my wife's cousins house late one night he grabbed his pump shot gun *CLACK CLACK* as he ran down the stairs, the intruder was gone in a flash.
Than our local Sherrif announced on TV it is legal to shoot any intruder you find in your home.
No more break ins.
Debray

Last edited:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back