Home Defense but keep child safe

My kids were taught never ever ever to touch a firearm unless I was there with them. As far as I know they never did. But they also had the opportunity to shoot as often as I did,which is alot. They are ages 20 and 16 now. They both know their way around a firearm. The baby my wife and I are expecting now will be exposed in the same manner that they were. I think that satisfying the natural curiosity of children goes along way towards them not being as interested in firearms as opposed to a child that has never had the opportunity. People are like cats,WE want to know how things work,we are curious beings. The Lord made us that way. Satisfy the natural investigative nature of a child (or an adult) ,teach them how things work,train them in the safe handling of firearms and tell them not to touch unless they have your express permission to do so. That worked with my first 2 kids. And it also worked with this yankee girl I married this time around. And she's hard headed.

All Yankee girls are hard headed... Oh Yes... Very much so..:laugh:

Man, I know that! I married one, too, and boy when she gets her back up...Doesn't say much, it's like communicating with a rock. Once her minds made up, there ain't no changing it. But, she's put up with my crap for lo these many years (30), so I think I'll let her hang around for awhile longer, I guess.

Oh and hey, Rugerfan, congratulations on the upcoming birth of your new kid! Exciting stuff...I loved raising kids and am sorry we didn't (couldn't) have a passel of 'em (just 2; another story). Extend my congrats to your (I'm sure) lovely wife.

Rugerfan, Congrats on the new life on the way. Best to both you and your yankee wife. Where is she from if I may ask? Mine was born in a suburb of Boston. I was born in White Plains NY. Been here in MA since 1975. When the kids have grown and are on their way in the world wife and I may move south. TN VA or GA maybe... AZ would be nice as well.

I have a 3 and a 4 year old. I've been looking at getting one of those finger print reading safes and attaching it to a night stand or the side of the bed frame in between the bed and the night stand. This way I can reach down quickly put my finger on the safe print reader and .5 seconds later I can have my 9mm or .45 ready. As for the shot gun, currently its in the garage in the safe. Really hard to find something that it can go in and also stay by the bed. With kids, theres no way of placing it under the bed like your everage home owner!Also being married, I cant just put a 4 foot tall safe next to my bed, if I do, probably wont stay married too long! :no: lol

When I first started dating my now wife, she was not gun oriented (not afraid of them, just not "into" them). While dating, I took her out shooting. She knew I carried constantly. I continued shooting with her after we married. After having children, I taught them safe and proper handling. They all understand the importance and responsibilities of having guns. Don't give up hope on that 4 foot gun cabinet. (I have one beside my bed, and my wife bought it for me!)

To y'all: As always very good replies to this thread but I would interject one thought---all kids are stupid and I do not mean that in a derogatory manner, I mean it in a child's less than perfect sense of understanding anything being told to them or anything within their reach. Any time a gun is within the reach of a child or a teenager, there is an opportunity for tragedy, regardless of lessons, warnings, etc etc. Those of you with children and guns have a very difficult balancing act to perform and I hope to god you never regret your decisions. For sure a locked gun is the only way to ensure safety.

As my late grandmother would say, security and safety are only words. She who worked for N.S.A. but never admitted it--even to the point of being ridiculous about it.

I tend to believe the safest place for my loaded firearm is in my holster on my belt. My 4 year is freakish strong, but I can still take her. My 8 year isn't nearly so tough so I'm less worried about him fighting me for the gun.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back