Holster material?

Pele

VA State CCW Holder!
Is there an benefit to a leather holster?

I'm not a fan of leather, I like the ballistic nylon... But most holsters I see people actually using are leather.

My girlfriend has a holster for her purse that's made of out neoprene like a diving wetsuit.

Leather...and plastic...are moldable and usually hug the body closer than a nylon holster. Nylon holsters are usually universal to a degree, bulky and fit a number of guns while a molded leather holster is built for a specific gun and usually only slightly larger than the gun itself. A nice leather holster also looks better.

I really don't like leather. It's too natural, too luxurious.

It's why I don't like natural grips on guns or wooden furniture on my AK. I like cold industrial plastic and steel.

What about this Kindex stuff? Someone was telling me about it, but I can't find it online. Maybe I'm spelling it wrong...

Kindorf? No, that's a type of bracket...
Knipex? No, that's a brand of pliers...

It sounds like that, but I can't place the word.

Last edited:
Kydex...It's a fancy word for plastic. They work and they are not expensive. That's what I'm using now, but I'll probably buy something nicer when I run across it. Stores don't stock much for a G30 and I've tried enough holsters to know that if I order one without trying it, I probably won't like it.

Safariland has a nice thing called STX Tactical, which is probably the same plastic but looks like better quality. I have one of their 6367 level 3 holsters, but it's not for concealment.

I like the leather and kydex hybrids myself. I recently bought a Minotaur MTAC and love it. They are very comfortable and easily concealable.

Leather and guns have gone hand-in-hand for ages. I carry a leather holster, and there's no squeaking. I prefer leather over anything else when it comes to guns.

I use leather and kydex holsters, nylon is just too cheap feeling to me. The kydex is faster on the draw, but the leather just feels better to me although it is more expensive.

My pref's... Wheel guns: Leather
Auto's: Mil-spec ballistic nylon and kydex/plastic w/ steel belt keepers.

I open carry 90%... 'hot here... cowboy country. Not an urban/suburban environment. 'Stuff takes a beating. I use what works. Bianchi, Triple K, or military.

i prefer leather, i cant explain the science maybe it is the fitting to my belt or what ever but my draw times using a nice galco leather holster just cant compete when i used my kydex holster the thing i think it is is that leather is more tolerable to varying draw angles you are not a robot your draw angle will vary slightly, a kydex is alot less tolerable being rigid. and nylon just is cheap and bulky i agree with the other post. also this may sound like bs if you have a nice leather holster ie galco the LEO's for seem reason get this instant impression this guy might know what hes doing maybe we shouldnt bother him as long. you use and uncle mikes they will pester the hell out of you... that is if you are ever pulled over and disarmed or stoped and quesitoned for some reason

I really don't like leather. It's too natural, too luxurious.

It's why I don't like natural grips on guns or wooden furniture on my AK. I like cold industrial plastic and steel.

What about this Kindex stuff? Someone was telling me about it, but I can't find it online. Maybe I'm spelling it wrong...

Kindorf? No, that's a type of bracket...
Knipex? No, that's a brand of pliers...

It sounds like that, but I can't place the word.

Do you mean "Kydex"? :biggrin:

gf

I use Kydex. I make my own and I love the way Kydex forms around a firearm. My IWB tuckable holster works great for CC. It does take a little to get use to the Kydex holsters but once you do they conceal great.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back