Hollow point ammo in San Francisco?

coldguy

Hello All:

New kid here. Am planning a visit to San Fran in the near future, but have heard a lot of fuzzy information regarding the legality/illegality of loading/carrying hollow point ammo. Does anyone have any solid information on this?

You cannot carry a gun anywhere in California unless you have a concealed carry permit or it is locked in your car and being transported to a place you intend to use it. Is it just me or is the forum being invaded by trolls? I'm not paranoid...everybody is out to get me!

The ban was written spcifically for Winchester Talon ammo (no longer in production) or ammo designed to replicate it's prefragmentation, not generic hollow point ammo. There is a ban on the sale of
hollow point ammo in SF.

{Note: The San Francisco PD stated to the NRA that this ban only covered “Black Talon” ammunition and
no other hollowpoint ammunition. Black Talon has been out of production for years. Use Caution. The U.S.
9th Circuit Court ruled on 3/25/14 that SF could require firearms to be secured in the home at all times. Either
on your person on locked up. The decision also stated more than once that SF only banned the “Selling” of
HP ammo in SF and not the possession. The case was not about HP ammo but about securing your firearm in
your home. With this ruling no one is sure if it overturned SF ban on possession of HP Ammo. You can read
the decision Here.**

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/agopinions/CA9thUSCtJacksoncvsSFSecuringFirearms.pdf

You cannot carry a gun anywhere in California unless you have a concealed carry permit or it is locked in your car and being transported to a place you intend to use it. Is it just me or is the forum being invaded by trolls? I'm not paranoid...everybody is out to get me!

I do have a valid CCW for California. Figure, unless I can find a way to confirm HP ammo is not an issue (the idea of carrying in SF with or without a permit notwithstanding) I'll just load FMJ and hope that dealing with collateral issues is simply a preparedness thing, rather than a real event.

I do have a valid CCW for California. Figure, unless I can find a way to confirm HP ammo is not an issue (the idea of carrying in SF with or without a permit notwithstanding) I'll just load FMJ and hope that dealing with collateral issues is simply a preparedness thing, rather than a real event.

Hollow point ammo is illegal to purchase in SF, not illegal to possess under the new ordinance.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back