Hold a NY Pistol Permit and just moved to TX to retire.

cecropia

Have had my NY Pistol Permit for decades and now that I live in Texas exactly what should I do with it here?
I am disabled, non-LE, non-vet.
Any specific information you can provide will be greatly appreciated!

Have gladly kissed NY goodbye and good riddance!
Is my NY Permit of any use at all in obtaining the CHL here?
Or do I simply apply as a first timer?

Have gladly kissed NY goodbye and good riddance!
Is my NY Permit of any use at all in obtaining the CHL here?
Or do I simply apply as a first timer?

Once you establish residency in Texas, your out of state license is no good here. You need to apply as a first timer.
Welcome to God's country.

Have had my NY Pistol Permit for decades and now that I live in Texas exactly what should I do with it here?
I am disabled, non-LE, non-vet.
Any specific information you can provide will be greatly appreciated!

I moved here from NY in 2008 and faced the same thing. The answer I got, straight from the DPS, is that if your NY License hasn't been revoked it is still good and recognized by Texas. A New York permit previously was issued for life in most of the state but remember that NY's new "Safe Act" of 2013 made all permits renewable after 5 years. So come 2018 it will be invalid.

Did you have a permit to carry in NY, or was this one just a NY permits that gives you permission to have a gun in your home?

I am a retired cop from new york state with a NYS carry permit. Have been in Texas 8 years and have a Texas CHL. 2 years ago I called the New York State Attorney General and asked if I could return to Rochester with a firearm I purchased in NY, was on my NY permit by serial number and would be returning to my old Police Jurisdiction to see friends and family. I would be staying with friends in the Town I worked as a Police Officer for TWENTY FIVE years. Awarded the Distinguished service award, and Nominated for the Medal of Valor. I do not say this to brag or anything of the sort I say this because I was told NO. under no conditions could I return to NYS with a handgun under penalty of arrest for a state felony. Once you change your legal address your NYS permit is no longer valid. I also wrote a letter and received the same more or less, in writing. I will never return to New York State. 25 years on the job and and I'm a criminal. my outrage knows no limit.

I am a retired cop from new york state with a NYS carry permit. Have been in Texas 8 years and have a Texas CHL. 2 years ago I called the New York State Attorney General and asked if I could return to Rochester with a firearm I purchased in NY, was on my NY permit by serial number and would be returning to my old Police Jurisdiction to see friends and family. I would be staying with friends in the Town I worked as a Police Officer for TWENTY FIVE years. Awarded the Distinguished service award, and Nominated for the Medal of Valor. I do not say this to brag or anything of the sort I say this because I was told NO. under no conditions could I return to NYS with a handgun under penalty of arrest for a state felony. Once you change your legal address your NYS permit is no longer valid. I also wrote a letter and received the same more or less, in writing. I will never return to New York State. 25 years on the job and and I'm a criminal. my outrage knows no limit.

So much for LEOSA. LOL. How does it feel to be treated like the rest of us non-LEOs?

So much for LEOSA. LOL. How does it feel to be treated like the rest of us non-LEOs?

Well, he likely wouldn't know how it feels. LEOSA protects him as something more worthy of Second Amendment rights than the rest of us everywhere but NY, so if he's traveled out of TX in the last eight years, he's been treated special, not like the rest of us. Not his fault, and I'm not raggin' on him per se, but am raggin' on LEOSA as being antithetical to anything having to do with Second Amendment rights.

I'd say it's "too bad" that he can never go home with all of his rights intact, but having grown up in CA I'm in the exact same boat. He, however, can go to CA with all of his rights intact thanks to government having passed legislation that gives government retirees more rights than the citizens the Second Amendment prohibits government from limiting in any way, again, everywhere except NY. The only thing that's "too bad" about any of this is that government gets away with limiting that which shall not be infringed for anybody. I'm pretty sure that was egregiously true in NY for the entirety of this person's career as a cop. Wonder if he ever bemoaned that circumstance on behalf of the citizens he served?

Blues

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back