History buff gunned down by police

Glockster20

Clinging to God and guns
Sounds like he may have been consuming some of that alchohol.... sad.

Seattle police fatally shoot man who pointed rifle at officers

Seattle police fatally shoot man who pointed rifle at officers

The Associated Press

SEATTLE — A college student dressed in a vintage German military uniform who was fatally shot by police on New Year's Day was a harmless, eccentric history buff, his family and friends said Friday.

Miles Murphy, a University of Washington senior, was shot several times at his apartment early Thursday after police said he pointed a rifle affixed with a bayonet at officers and refused orders to drop the weapon.

Seattle police had converged on Murphy's apartment after receiving complaints that several men were firing rifle and shotgun rounds into the air. Murphy emerged from inside and pointed what was later identified as a World War II Kar 98 German infantry rifle at the officers, police said.

When he refused several orders to drop the weapon, two officers fired seven shots, police Officer Jeff Kappel said. Murphy was taken to Harborview Medical Center, where he died.

A witness told some officers at the scene that Murphy had been firing blanks that night.

Police searching the house found alcohol, live ammunition and a large collection of German, Russian and Nazi memorabilia including photographs and uniforms, Sgt. Sean Whitcomb said.

But Murphy "wasn't a Nazi," Hattie Taylor, a friend, told the Seattle Post-Intelligencer. "He was just fascinated with the past... He liked to dress up and have fun."

Police Chief Gil Kerlikowske called the situation "truly sad" but stood by the officers' actions. "Right now, I don't see any other choice that they had," he said.

The two officers who fired at Murphy were placed on paid administrative leave, which is standard procedure.

Murphy, 22, was a senior Germanics major, university President Mark Emmert said in a statement Friday mourning his loss.

Murphy wanted to be a German literature professor and had a large collection of WWII memorabilia, said his friend Spencer Bray.

He was "a peaceful and loving young man," his mother, Dianne Murphy, told the local newspaper

Yeh, I would have too say........booze. Yes, it is sad but I'm sorry........if a Cop got a call that was relayed to Him/Her and showed up and there stood someone wearing an army outfit OR whatever outfit holding a firearm, uuummm I'm thinking, there are officers here; someone called the cops..."hello, McFly"?? MAYBE He was on something more that booze and started seeing the enemy? Plus numerous times ordering Him to put the weapon down?! Story does not say He pointed the weapon at the officers OR what actually happened that made the officers shoot at Him. He and his buddies must have planned ahead for what they wanted to do for New Years. I'm sure they did not get drunk then say, "let's get into our costumes and fire some rounds in the air.........weeeeeeeeeee"! Yeh, I'm sure there IS more to the story. I'm sure He was a great kid, but in My opinion He was an idiot!
(still looking for the "smiley" with the propeller on its head)

It does indeed seem that the young man's actions were either drug or alcohol induced. Why don't people exercise better judgment and responsibility over their actions, particularly as it relates to LEO encounters, when they drink? This was totally preventable.

The "gunned down" part in this thread seems to be making the cops out to be the bad guys. This guy doesn't exactly fit the commonly accepted definition of "harmless" in my mind. Any adult should know that guns and alcohol don't mix to begin with, and "harmless" people don't point guns at cops.

Also, bayonets are usually dismissed as useless, but one could potentially be dangerous in the hands of a deranged drunk. The rifle may have been empty, but the edged weapon on the end was fully capable of killing someone.

It's odd how people who die in stupid circumstances largely of their own making are eulogized as having had a thousand hopes and dreams of the highest order ahead. Often that seems a little difficult to believe.

The "gunned down" part in this thread seems to be making the cops out to be the bad guys. .

Should they have said "killed" instead? I can only imagine how using "killed" in place of "gunned down" would have brought the anti LEO wackos out of the woodworks.

that's too bad.. but I guess it was his choice to be an idiot. could have had a different outcome if he made different choices.

Should they have said "killed" instead? I can only imagine how using "killed" in place of "gunned down" would have brought the anti LEO wackos out of the woodworks.

We don't seem to have many on here. Anyway, "gunned down" doesn't seem far away from "executed in cold blood" or something.

Mr. Wehrmacht here was clearly a dangerous drunk and is completely responsible for getting himself killed.

I can see where one might perceive the phrase "gunned down" as an execution style or cold blooded killing. I guess I could have used a different word or phrase in the thread title. And yes, the young man was definately in the wrong and the LEO's had every right to do what they did. I would have shot him too.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back