Hip Surgery

swsd40

Has anyone had any experience with hip surgery? I'm told that I need a hip replacement, I'm just starting the process, just wondering what I might expect.

My friend had both done six months apart. he exercised by riding a bike to get his muscles in shape for each surgery he is a happy camper for the last two years.

I have a few friends that have had knee and hip replacements. It's no walk in the park! The key is to build up some muscle and strength prior to the surgery and then follow through with the physical therapy (PT). At times the therapy can be a bit much, but you get out of it what you put into it - so if you want to have a pain free joint and strength after healing put everything you have into the PT.

Thanks for advice, I try to stay as active as comfortably possible, it has not been easy so far. Doc's have given me stretching and strength excercises, and with a weight restriction. Again, thanks for advice. (maybe I'll keep progress updates going on forum)

wow best wishes with your surgery and a speedy recovery
you can find alot of what to expect with that kind of surgery by just googling on it
hope you get to do your weekend bbq first
thbbq2-1.gif

Thanks Eagleeyes, I dont have a date set yet for the surgery, it is in the processing/getting ready stage. Have a schedule for physical therapy first for the next 8 weeks, then probably surgery. Staying home and R&R'en. Oh yeah, gonna put some cow on the grill, and a silent salute to Brothers in Arms that have passed. Have a great weekend!!

Five years ago my wife had total hip replacement surgery. I waited in the waiting room for a looooonnnnnggg time. The surgeon finally came out and told me that her pelvis had shattered. I asked how it happened. He said that when he pounded in the replacement prosthesis, it shattered. I said, "Do you mean that it was a force fit?" (I am a structural engineer.) He said, "yes." I asked how much was the interference? He said, "From 0 to 2 millimeter." He said that she had lost 2 liters of blood and her blood pressure had dropped to 70/50. I almost lost her.

That evening I found on the Internet a hip prosthesis that required an interference fit of 0 to 2 millimeters. But the interference to be used depended on the degree of osteoporous, and he had not bothered to perform a bone-density test; he just assumed that she had severe osteoporous, which she did not. A few days later, the website with that particular prosthesis was no longer on the Internet. My wife and my physician daughter would not let me sue him.

@Charlie...is your wife OK now...??? did you get the right doctor to treat her?

@swsd40...good luck..keep us posted ... bring your laptop on the recovery room so the forum can entertain you while you are recuperating...now that will be fun but sometimes I think I am good at it...:smile:

@Charlie...is your wife OK now...??? did you get the right doctor to treat her?

@swsd40...good luck..keep us posted ... bring your laptop on the recovery room so the forum can entertain you while you are recuperating...now that will be fun but sometimes I think I am good at it...:smile:
Mom,
Her hip still hurts when she walks, but no, the surgeon who screwed up her hip was not the right doctor. She wanted to surgeon who replaced both of her knees 15 years before, but he was was retiring when she needed her hip replaced. She will eventually have to have it redone. And yes, Mom, you are good at entertaining us. LOL

Thanks Mom, I plan on taking laptop and Kindle...... Hmmm , hey , what are the odds i'll have a good looking nurse! hehehe

Thanks Mom, I plan on taking laptop and Kindle...... Hmmm , hey , what are the odds i'll have a good looking nurse! hehehe
Men will always be men...:lol: Make sure the nurse doesn't have PMS or GPS...ya know...someone like this one...
Link Removed

Mom,
Her hip still hurts when she walks, but no, the surgeon who screwed up her hip was not the right doctor. She wanted to surgeon who replaced both of her knees 15 years before, but he was was retiring when she needed her hip replaced. She will eventually have to have it redone. And yes, Mom, you are good at entertaining us. LOL
Did I tell you that my mother-in-law had a fall and she was operated on the wrong hip? And we can't sue the doctor either. Anyway, good luck with your wife. I know what it's like to have constant pain before my knee was operated on and I only broke a tendon...for an active person to a slow poke my husband kept teasing me as Mrs. Hop-a-long...:lol:

All right enough time here...gotta make myself cute for the men at the airport today...we're having lunch with them. I'm still trying to perfect my video cam stuff...I hope many will be flying today despite the heat...

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back