Hillsdale Co. Court allows concealed carry

venator

Hillsdale County Courthouse to allow Concealed Carry

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since this deals with courtrooms I thought I's put it on here. It's a start, be interesting to see what happens.

Link Removed

By Thomas Marcetti, Staff Writer
Hillsdale Daily News
Posted Jun 18, 2008 @ 03:31 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hillsdale, Mich. — The Hillsdale County Courthouse is not undergoing major renovations but some recent changes may catch your eye next time you visit.

More specifically, you might notice the lack of signs prohibiting firearms in the courthouse.

Circuit Court Judge Michael Smith said the decision was made about a month ago.
“Nothing happened,” he said. “I consulted with Judge (Michael) Nye and he had no problem with it.”

Smith said courthouses are not exempt under the concealed weapon statute and therefore there is no way to lawfully prohibit people with the proper license to carry a concealed weapon.

“When you think about it, it’s contrary to state law,” he said. “I know the Supreme Court passed an exemption to keep them out of courthouses, but that goes against state law and last time I checked the courts aren’t the ones who can make laws.”

Smith said there has never been a problem before and he does not foresee one in the future.

that's pretty cool.. so there are actually a few people in michigan in those places with at least half a brain. good news.

Man is that refreshing! Those judges have got to be in the minority since it would seem most seem to hold themselves and their postion above the law. Thanks for posting!

I may just have to forward it to my local court!

Unfortunately this is an opinion of a pro-gun attorney on this subject:

"That won't last long. The Supreme Court Administrative Office will come down on Judge Smith like an avenging diety, and will reiterate their insistence that he comply with and enforce the Administrative Order.

Evil things have been happening to judges who try to buck the SCAO."

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back