high danger concealed carry solution

Just carry a hollowed out dayplanner with the zipper unzipped, pistol inside at the ready. Hold the planner/pistol in your left hand and keep it near your right hand as you unlock and open the door.

While walking just hold it near your waist/chest like a book.

Day planner type gun carriers work in certain situations. I know. I have one. But it's another thing that has to be carried occupying your off hand. The keys to the front door or car need to be in the off hand.

okay am I oversimplifying here or...

What's wrong with this?
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed

That is another obvious inexpensive pragmatic solution I overlooked. I am going to get some hoodies like that.
Thanks hopnpop.

That is another obvious inexpensive pragmatic solution I overlooked. I am going to get some hoodies like that.
Thanks hopnpop.

Alright, am I sensing sarcasm now? :unsure: I know it's low tech, but I was just trying to think of what I'd do if I felt the need to have it in-hand but not visible. Given the time of night and your location, one might assume that's a gun you're holding beneath your shirt, but as long as they can't SEE it - right? ...And I did the different pics because I didn't look to see where you are. If you're in Cali or somewhere far-south, the hoody might not be temperature/season-friendly, so I demonstrated with just a shirt, too. Might be a little lower-tech than what you're looking for but I'm just trying to offer suggestions. Good luck & carry on.

Heh I wasn't being sarcastic. I am very new to the CC and firearms in general. For some reason its easy to fall into the trap of spending a ridiculously large some of money on a CC jacket or bag when there are more cost effective solutions like the hoodie. In the pants isn't ideal for my situation because of entering and exiting my vehicle. The hoodie solution will work well for the winter at least.

Don't forget to alter your arrival and departure times and parking location if at all possible since most bad guys will case you for a few days to find your weak spots. If you always park under the same light and tonight when you start out the back door and notice the light is "burned out" - might want to be extra careful. Also if you can have a second person randomly provide cover - for example they watch you open from another car (cover you so to speak) - this puts an additional level of security in your plan should they be casing your store. We used to provide this service for clients when they had increased threats in their zip code, "armed robbery rings working the area or your type of store". Also pay attention to robbery reports in your area as the bad guys find a style (MO) and tend to stick with what works for them. Especially if you see them hitting shops at closing time or on the way to the bank (cash drops).

words of wisdom

Don't forget to alter your arrival and departure times and parking location if at all possible since most bad guys will case you for a few days to find your weak spots. If you always park under the same light and tonight when you start out the back door and notice the light is "burned out" - might want to be extra careful. Also if you can have a second person randomly provide cover - for example they watch you open from another car (cover you so to speak) - this puts an additional level of security in your plan should they be casing your store. We used to provide this service for clients when they had increased threats in their zip code, "armed robbery rings working the area or your type of store". Also pay attention to robbery reports in your area as the bad guys find a style (MO) and tend to stick with what works for them. Especially if you see them hitting shops at closing time or on the way to the bank (cash drops).

Great insight and good points to ponder. IMO, you made 3 important points. I think arranging 'extra cover' might not be the easiest thing to do but I'd put emphasis on the street/parking lot light!! If walking out and you notice the light's out, don't assume it burned out. Assume it's been arranged that way and raise your alert level. Great food for thought there. Maintain constant situational awareness! The 2nd great point I think you brought up is changing your routine so it's not so...routine. Once you fall into the same ol' routine, it's natural and easy to let your guard down. Switch it up. And the last great point, is keeping tabs on robberies/crimes in the area, especially when there seems to be an MO.

The only other thing I think I should touch base on is the whole "gun in pocket, hand on gun" situation. You said you're pretty new to carrying and to firearms in general. Without having much experience with handguns, coupled with this method of carry can be potentially hazardous. Before you carry on the street, it's imperative that you PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE! While lounging around your house, carry it as you would on the street, U N L O A D E D! Practice walking around with your gun in the pocket and your hand on the unloaded gun. Practice drawing it. As long as it's in your pocket, DO NOT put your finger on the trigger! Your finger better not even TOUCH the trigger until the gun has cleared your clothing! If you don't follow this rule strictly, you're inviting disaster. I seriously recommend never carrying on the street in a manner that you haven't practiced and perfected.

Personally I don't think I'd be comfortable carrying in-hand, especially in pocket. Well, depends on the gun, too, I guess. I've carried my .38 BUG in-hand, in pocket, but only for moments at a time when something had put me on condition orange. It's a DA revolver with an almost 8-pound trigger pull. I can be comfortable with that. However, I wouldn't carry my XD like that, with it having a shorter trigger pull, set at only 5.5 lbs.

When CCing, I most commonly carry in an open-style IWB in the appendix position. Most people prefer having some type of retention, and this position is the only position I'll carry in without retention. It being in the front/appendix position, I think, makes a gun grab pretty difficult. So, carrying open-style, IWB, with an untucked shirt draped over it, and with some practice; I can go from 100% concealment to having holes in center-mass in .5 to .75 seconds. Anyone can, you included. I'm just passing this on for you to think about since I feel that the method of carry described above isn't the safest. Also, if I were you, I'd consider getting a BUG. But that's me.

Last edited:
I have to agree with you on the carry in hand and bare pocket carry. I have carried small BUG in pocket holsters as my 2nd gun while in LE, but it has limitations as your primary gun. It would be too easy to have one of the neighborhood kids roll up on bike and surprise you one morning and accidentally pop off a round. I tell students the gun fight will happen when you spend the previous night playing cards with the guys until 0300, then you have to be at work at 0600, no sleep, hung over and not paying attention to your daily routine. Now add a gun in hand to that and a recipe for a disaster.

I agree if you are going to carry, find a great holster,dry practice with it wearing your coat, vest or shirt covering the gun. You should be able to get two shots off (center of target hits) from 5 yards in 1.5 seconds with practice. If you can pick up one of the Frontsight certificates for the 4-day defensive handgun course - do it, might save your life.

Of course the key to all of this is "situational awareness", blow that part and it won't matter how fast you can draw.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back