Hiding guns around the house

Cooter

Liberty or Death
When I took a handgun safety course, I remember the instructor talking about his buddy hiding guns all around the house. He said no matter where he was in the house, he was never more than 3 feet away from a gun. He pointed out that if a BG came into his house, then HE wouldn't be more than 3 feet from a gun either.
I have a couple of guns in other rooms besides the bedroom. I have a Glock on me 99% of the time, but I'd like to think I have increased protection in my home, and I'm not always in my bedroom.
What do you all think about stashing firearms around the house?

Be very careful about stashing guns. BG aren't as stupid as we make them out to be. They're pretty good at finding stuff that we think is "well hidden". I'd stash mags and speed loaders at most. Stashing a firearm is going a little too far.

gf

I was just having this discussion earlier today. I see several different options. One either you carry with you at all times and have a gun by your side when you sleep, you can stash guns all around your house, or you have have a super tight primary security protocol that gives you time to get to a gun before the threat gets to you. I like the idea of hiding guns around the house not only for the capability of access, but also for the capability of storage. If the bad men come to confiscate your guns, maybe they will miss a few. I always thought of rocking them into the walls near power outlets if it got real bad. That way metal detectors would think its a power line. Then if you need it you can punch/kick through the wall to get to it. Obviously for safety reasons you would want them for easier access in the purpose of SD. My biggest concern here is safety and security of the gun. If you may have little ones running around, other than your own, I would be worried about them getting access to the guns. They always seem to find a way. I would also worry about an intruder finding them. Everytime you think you have a good hiding spot the intruder will demonstrate that it was not. There are a few funiture items out there designed to hide stuff. A wall clock that can hide a glock, a coat rack that can hide a small shotgun. I would see those potentially working. I also thought about those wall safes that fit between the studs. Its a four button combo and the door flies open, a holster swings out, and your good to go. What I would really like to see is some sort of wall mounted system for closets or in drawers, etc. The gun/shotgun could be securely encased, but it could be realeased simply by putting your thumb on a biometric pad. That would be the best option. I'm not sure if that helped at all. I really like the idea of hiding guns in separate places, but I personally am not sure how to do it in a way that would make me feel comfortable yet. I want them secure, but I also want really quick access. Anybody else have any ideas???

Did anyone ever see that movie the Punisher? I love that scene with the huge German guy, and the punisher keeps pulling out guns around his house. :hilarious:
I need to stash a hand grenade in the back of the toilet.

I keep one on me. Then I have one by the bed. I also have one in the corner of the den in case my wife is here alone. She has a permit, but doesn't keep one on her at all times.

I like the idea of good hiding places around the house for guns.. I was thinking yesterday about how I would do it or where.. the way that they are flushing our constitution down teh toilet it is only a matter of time when they come to collect all firearms to destroy them...

I am retired. and disabled, I am at Home 95% of the time alone, and I am always armed, My daughter thinks this is dumb at home...... I say its being Prepared for anything, and if my gun is on my side I always know where it is, if I need it, I pray I never will..... As far as hiding guns around the house. I don't do that, its safer that way, Don't want a BG to find, and use............

stash guns

I like the idea of good hiding places around the house for guns.. I was thinking yesterday about how I would do it or where.. the way that they are flushing our constitution down teh toilet it is only a matter of time when they come to collect all firearms to destroy them...

You might want to stash some in PVC pipe and hide under ground for later. As far as around the house I have done that before. If you do be sure to remember where they are and put them away if any children come to visit. Now days I have one in the bedroom and I keep my carry gun with me i and my wife has her's so we are not far away at any time.

I had a friend that lived in Dania, FL. He had several handguns scattered around the house in inconspicuous places. The reason: he had been burgled several times and his insurance company was tired of it and threatened to cancel his insurance. He had put the firearms in their places after the first burglary; none were found on subsequent burglaries. The only problem I saw with this was that children might stumble on them. But, this guy and his wife did not have children.

I'm kind of leery of leaving loaded weapons around, hidden or not. I'm assuming that these hidden weapons are not locked in anyway or what would be the use. Those that have or have had kids know that kids WILL find them. Even if trained in gun handling, kids are kids! Here in MI the legal ramifications should an accident happen, (or be stolen), by an unsecurerd weapon is ugly. Best idea of all is just to have it on you at all times.

You might want to stash some in PVC pipe and hide under ground for later. As far as around the house I have done that before. If you do be sure to remember where they are and put them away if any children come to visit. Now days I have one in the bedroom and I keep my carry gun with me i and my wife has her's so we are not far away at any time.

Besides one in my Bug-out-bag which is usually pretty close and at night, my daily carry is in a nightstand where the BG's can find it any other stays in my safe. I like KK4U's idea of of a sealed piece of PVC just to keep buried in the backyard for when the gubment decides to start a ban/confiscation campaign.

Later - Sam

I have a P3AT that I carry around like my Blackberry. I generally use the 9mm as a car gun, or as a backup if I'm cleaning the Kel-Tec.

Become proficient in the use of basic things as weapons - a good martial arts weapons training program can help out with this - and if you're so unfortunate as to be without a firearm, then you'll be able to use virtually any everyday object lethally. You can jam a Bic pen through someone's temple, throat, eye socket or mouth. Most floor lamps are excellent weapons, particularly if you thrust with the bulb end. An inexpensive box cutter, with the blade fully extended, makes a razor-sharp, 5-inch knife. Of course, these alone are no match for a determined perp with a firearm, but it's better than nothing, and the element of surprise may play in your favor when outgunned.

Another view

I don't like the idea of continuously carrying a sidearm. A couple of years ago I was packing a very small, lightweight snub-nosed .38 while mowing my lawn and performing other yard work, due to a new neighbor with a couple of nasty pit bulls that made several attempts to get through the fence to see if I would taste good.:mad: I hated every minute of it; it's surprising how even a small firearm can get in the way when you're wielding a rake, shovel or other tool. I eventually resorted to just leaving handy metal objects lying about, 2-3 feet long, very innocuous-looking and just steps away (pieces of angle iron or steel fence posts). Unless you're facing an opponent armed with a firearm, that may be all that's needed, both inside the house and outside. Fortunately, that neighbor just moved out, almost exactly two years after arriving, due to having the house taken over by the bank. The current economic meltdown had a silver lining in this case!:biggrin:

By the way, my mother was born in eastern Europe in the mid-1920s. Her country was alternately overrun by the Germans and the Russian commies, until her family finally abandoned their home and fled for their lives to the west near the end of WWII. The commies didn't bother confronting armed homeowners. If they suspected or knew that a farmer had a gun in the house, they'd simply lob a grenade or two through a window. People didn't even bother locking their doors: It was better to let the local commissar's thugs in to search the house than have the door kicked in and getting shot or fragged. Consider this carefully, if your only plan now against the Bad Guys is to have guns hidden all over the place. If you bought the guns legally, they already know who you are, where you live, and how many you have. With the current mob of Obamunists in Washington, a day is fast approaching when our Constitution and Bill of Rights will mean nothing. We'll be living in either a tyranny or an anarchy, not too different from the conditions my mother's family faced in World War II. It could become safer to remove our NRA stickers and other firearms-related decals from our cars and house windows and go into stealth mode.

When I took a handgun safety course, I remember the instructor talking about his buddy hiding guns all around the house. He said no matter where he was in the house, he was never more than 3 feet away from a gun. He pointed out that if a BG came into his house, then HE wouldn't be more than 3 feet from a gun either.
I have a couple of guns in other rooms besides the bedroom. I have a Glock on me 99% of the time, but I'd like to think I have increased protection in my home, and I'm not always in my bedroom.
What do you all think about stashing firearms around the house?

I think its a moronic idea. Just asking for a burglar to find and steal your guns. If Im at home I carry, if Im away I carry. I do have another close at hand for my wife but if we are gone they are all locked up where they cant be found and stolen

http://pflwoodworking.com/rifle_storaged.htm shows a bookshelf to hide weapons — rifles in a compartment behind the shelves with pistols and/or ammo up top under a lockable lid.

You could also use false bottoms in drawers, under-cabinet compartments in the kitchen/bathroom, or have other types of diversion safes. For rifles or shotguns you could even install a hidden pocket door.

I used to keep them all around the house then my house (just the garage) was broken into. A fair amount of my tools where stolen, luckily they didn't get the gun in the garage... I had locked the main tool box. If they had bothered to go into the house they could have had a field day, and if I came home and got shot ay a robber I armed... well that's just embarrassing.

Since then I decided no guns are to be available in the house when I'm not. My safe is also in a closet bolted down and has cardboard over it (hoping it is harder to find)

I used to keep them all around the house then my house (just the garage) was broken into. A fair amount of my tools where stolen, luckily they didn't get the gun in the garage... I had locked the main tool box. If they had bothered to go into the house they could have had a field day, and if I came home and got shot ay a robber I armed... well that's just embarrassing.

Since then I decided no guns are to be available in the house when I'm not. My safe is also in a closet bolted down and has cardboard over it (hoping it is harder to find)

You are a smart man. I have a wall safe behind my clothes in my master bedroom closet. keyed, unlocked, or 3 digit keypad entry. was like 90.00 on ebay. fits a fair amount of ammo and 4 handguns.

MY set up is a Safe (firearms inside) on the first floor and a Safe (firearms inside) on the second. When I'm home I carry on me till I get changed for bed. I do not feel that I need to "stash/hide" firearms around the house. I'm pretty comfortable the way I am set up. Other's May differ, BUT I got Rugrats who also have friends over and really do not need ANY accidents. Another person mentioned how their Wife is home and has a permit. My Wife is home also but does not have a permit or actually has ever shot a gun. I planneed on having Her and my Son take the first couple of courses.....Basic Gun and Home this spring, but funds are tight on My end. They WILL take it though, hopefully by summer anyway.
To answer the question, I'm not for stashing firearms around the house............well, for now anyway.

Being that in our house it's just Wifey and I, we have weapons nearby in the rooms we spend most of our time in - The computer/TV room, and the bedroom, not to mention that we both may or may not be CCW at any given time.

All that changes when the Daughter and Grandbaby (soon to be Grandbabies - WOOHOO!:biggrin:) visit. Then those weapons are unloaded and locked up, if they are not in our immediate control. I want to leave 0 room for a firearms accident in our home, and refuse to lose the life of a loved one due to carelessness.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back