hi point

I see a few guys have had broken firing pins. I would hate to need my pistol and the pin break in the middle of a fire fight.
Good gun to shoot at cans. If you are getting a pistol for self protection or protection of your family then what is your life or your families life worth. 99.00 bucks?. Get the best that you can afford. Sure High Point stands behind there firearms and that is good. it still is not a fighting hand gun or rifle.

when I bought my first gun I asked an uncle what basis should I use to collect guns? by brand, specific caliber, historical significance etc? he said why not collect one of every caliber?I'm buying these for target practice. from what I'm reading they seem to be fairly reliable pistols that I can use to train for reaction time and shooting on the move. I plan on carrying a Rock Island 1911 and S&W .40.

One more reason to like the price....

This is for households with NO CHILDREN.

I like the price on these because ou could buy several, and secrete them all over the house (one in the fridge, one velcro'd under the coffee table, one in the medicene cabinet, etc.). That way, no matter what room you are in, a BG would have a very hard time getting the drop on you.

:biggrin:

one in the fridge?? "yo! let me make you a sammich. you must be hungry from all that robbing in the neighborhood":biggrin:

I keep a ready gun in each of the rooms where I spend much time, and my EDC moves from room to room with me.

This is for households with NO CHILDREN.

I like the price on these because ou could buy several, and secrete them all over the house (one in the fridge, one velcro'd under the coffee table, one in the medicene cabinet, etc.). That way, no matter what room you are in, a BG would have a very hard time getting the drop on you.

:biggrin:

Nothing wrong with homes with children. I have a 4 year old and I've got hardware stashed all over the house. All of them are secured where ANY unauthorized person would have extreme difficulty gaining access to the firearms.

gf

I know what you mean, BUT.......

If it is not under lock and key I don't think that it is out of the reach of a curious child. That said, the very BEST protection is education. If I remember correctly, Gf, you are an NRA certified instructor, so I am not too worried. :biggrin:

If it is not under lock and key I don't think that it is out of the reach of a curious child. That said, the very BEST protection is education. If I remember correctly, Gf, you are an NRA certified instructor, so I am not too worried. :biggrin:

Boomboy:

All of the "stashed" firearms are under lock and key. Magazines are not inserted in the firearms, but in very close proximity. The way I figure, better to have firearms stashed around the house in this condition rather than having to make my way to a single location to retrieve a firearm. When I'm home, I'm carrying OC 90% of the time.

gf

I have two sons, ages 9 and 11. They both know not to touch my firearms, without my permission. And they also know, ANYTIME they want to handle one, all they have to do is ask. That said, there is usually 1 firearm that is loaded in my home at any time. That is usually my carry/self-defense weapon.

When I first started letting them handle my pistols, they'd ask almost every day. As time has gone on, the frequency is down to less than once a week. It took a while, but the novelty has worn off, pretty much.

Last edited:
the good thing is they are cheap and if they jam or break
they are so heavy you can use them to beat the bad guys

Hi-points are a great gun, i find those that dont like or caution against havent owned or even shot one. i keep my by my bed and i have a 4 yr old i not only trust my life to it but i trust hers. 1500 rnds and its still shooting and nothing more then a bore snake to clean it. so dont be fooled by the price its a great deal better then most over priced paper weights:yu:

Hi Point Model JHP .45ACP

I heard about the current "shortage" of guns and ammo, and the Hi Point Model JHP .45 ACP was one of the few I found available online. I won't use a 9mm; as far as I'm concerned it's a gang banger's status symbol. Ever notice that virtually all the small machine pistols; Uzis, Mac 11s, etc are 9mm? Most gang-related shootings are with 9mm, and they tend to over-penetrate. Couldn't find a .40 in my price range, and I like .45s better anyway.

Dry-sighted it out of the box (took me a week to find ammo), and started with five rounds. First was low and to the left, second was a tad low and an inch to the right. The other three went into a silver dollar-sixe area. Sighting was a breeze; I installed the supplied ghost ring sight (it came witha lasar, too), which for both windage and elevation with screws, unlike many of the forward and back elevation and hammer and wood-block windage adjustment styles. It went right into true, and all 5 of my bullets fed nicely. It is heavy, ugly, and lacks 1911A1 safety features, but the safety is 1911-style, locking both trigger and slide with an up-and-down lever that is just hard enough to disengage that you are not likely to do it acidently. Trigger pull was surprisingly light.

The only flaws I encountered were a too-small safety lever (8mm long, 6mm wide, and a scant 1.5 mm thick, protruding maybe 2.5 mm from the slide, and all-but-even with the edge of the grip ), and a tendency for the magazine to release unintentionally. A more 1911-style safety lever, say, 15mm L x 8mm W x 3 or 4mm deep, bevelled for comfort and increased control, would be a major improvement.

As for the mag release, I just removed the handles to find one short spring glued to the grip against the the oposite side of the mag release; not enough tension to prevent it from releasing simply from the presure of the holster, especially when drawn. I just removed the release button; it is plastic and pressed on to the release lever; mine came off easily enough, though one should use extra care in removing it so as not to break it or enlarge the hole. I cut a short piece of spring from a ball-point pen, twisted it against the direction it was wound until it fit over the post (which fits through a same-size hole in the frame into a short lever held in place by the other spring), and replaced the release button tightly onto the shaft. The added pressure on the release, about three wraps of the pen spring, seems to provide the right amount of tension to prevent it from disengaging when light pressure is applied to the release button, yet still release easily enough with just a bit more thumb pressure. I debated using a pressure washer, but the spring seems to work just fine, and it won't scratch the finish.

They are American-made, guaranteed for life, and a steal at under $300, including shipping, lasar sight, and the local gun dealer's $25 handling fee. It also came with three allen wrenches, a padlockable trigger lock, and a small, flat screwdriver/two-finger trigger lock tool with two different-size wrenches for, I assume, breaking the piece down completely.

I told the guy at the other gun store what I bought, and he called me a "poor bastard". When I get it broke in and become more accustomed to it, I might invite him to compare accuracy and reliability with his Glock .40, just to see what he says. I prefer a big, heavy, ugly pistol; they seem to be more accurate, and the intimidation factor more than compemsates for the few extra ounces, which also make for somewhat less recoil. If you haven't guessed, I really like the thing!

I heard about the current "shortage" of guns and ammo, and the Hi Point Model JHP .45 ACP was one of the few I found available online. I won't use a 9mm; as far as I'm concerned it's a gang banger's status symbol. Ever notice that virtually all the small machine pistols; Uzis, Mac 11s, etc are 9mm?
Actually, the MAC 11 is supposed to be .380 ACP. The MAC 10 is supposed to be EITHER .45 or 9mm.

I think the firearm shortage is more of a local issue. It just depends on where you live. But I'm glad to hear you're happy with your Hi-Point. From all I've read about them, and based on what others have told me, they are great guns for the money. Most Hi Point owners I've talked to think they got a real bargain.

Hi Point is an ugly, bulky and heavy firearm, however they are reliable and accurate. For the money you couldn't ask for anything better. I've been thinking about buying a few and stashing them around my home, shop and land.

Great minds think alike!

Hi Point is an ugly, bulky and heavy firearm, however they are reliable and accurate. For the money you couldn't ask for anything better. I've been thinking about buying a few and stashing them around my home, shop and land.

I was thinking the same thing, Red Hat. In fact, these would be the perfect pieces to "lose" in one of Festus' "cache buckets". :pleasantry:

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/survival-related/2740-how-build-shtf-bucket.html

They are relitively cheap because they are built by the Mansfield, Ohio prisoners and my brother has 2 Hi-Points 1 9mm and 1 40 cal. and they NEVER shoot in the same place twice. we set them up on vise grips and shot terrible patterns. also they jam alot that is why they are so cheap even the carbine version has problems like the firing pin breakink. So in my opinion its better to spend an extra 100 for something more reliable. by the way your friend has mis information about them. I have tested these guns several times i have a couple friends with hi-points and they are all cheap. :wacko:

Inexpesive and, for me atleast, reliable for busting water jugs. Also, Hi Point warranty is second to none in my opinion. The owner of the company has marketed to those unable to afford the higher priced manufacturer's weapons. But, Anti-gun folks are pointing fingers at the company saying the low costs attract the criminal market. The Hi-Point: Cheap, easy to find, popular with criminals, and made in Ohio - The Plain Dealer World News: The Latest National and International News - Cleveland.com

I guess in their eyes if you're poor, you don't have the right to defend yourself.

to mr. percy 84953

Inexpesive and, for me atleast, reliable for busting water jugs. Also, Hi Point warranty is second to none in my opinion. The owner of the company has marketed to those unable to afford the higher priced manufacturer's weapons. But, Anti-gun folks are pointing fingers at the company saying the low costs attract the criminal market. The Hi-Point: Cheap, easy to find, popular with criminals, and made in Ohio - The Plain Dealer World News: The Latest National and International News - Cleveland.com

I guess in their eyes if you're poor, you don't have the right to defend yourself.

i live in cleveland ... the reason they say popular with criminals is because they are so cheap and therefore sold on the street for profit. plus when they say popular with criminals there talking about in ohio not everywhere if you notice the sourse is cleveland.com lol and note that in cleveland hi-point guns are the #1 gun taken off the street by police.. and you are putting words in others' mouth by saying that "if your poor you dont have the right to defend yourself" thats not what there saying at all and i would love to know how you got that out of saying that the gun is cheap? remember the guns are made by MANSFIELD CORRECTIONAL FACILITY so who really cares about people pointing fingers. the reason they are so cheap is cause it costs them 0 labor and the process is paid for by the government and that is why ALL repairs are FREE OF CHARGE everytime someone buys a Hi-point firearm it goes directly to the state of ohio not an owners pocket.if you go to there website Hi-Point Firearms youll notice they have no information about there history because they really dont like to admit that prisoners make the guns.. which is another reason why there popular with crimenals because there will ALWAYS be corruption so firearms DO get out un accounted for. and why would a criminal who is gonna use a gun 1 time then stash it spend alot of money??? so ur comment about poor ppl not being aloud to to defend them selves was totally fabricated by you, and in my opinion very knucke headed:to_pick_ones_nose:

Last edited:
Edvon, maybe i just have a chip on my shoulder about this... In your opinion, should no firearm be inexpensive; therefore, affordable for people on very limited incomes (poor), like me? As you say, Hi Points are "popular with criminals because they are so cheap and therefore sold on the street for profit." It would reason that any firearm that is cheap would have a similar use to criminals. What are we to do about this conundrum? I'm very interested in your opinion as you live in Cleveland and are close to this situation. I'm not sure why you have to call me names though.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back