"hi-point"

mgttrmn

what do you think of "hi-point" hand guns

Cheap. I mean nothing more can be said that they are cheap. They are weird to hold, very top heavy. Did I say they are cheap? Holy cow they are cheap, how can they make a gun so cheaply?!

I don't own one. A family member does. It's his first firearm owned since leaving the Air force maybe 20 years ago. I'm proud to say I got most of my wife's family into shooting when I married her.

You're not going to hold tight groups. It's awkward to shoot, but you can get used to it. If you are using it for what it is, an entry level home defense gun, you will not be upset. Don't be suprised if you are out buying another gun at some point though. My family member recently held my XDM and he kept saying "Nice, that's nice. That feels nice." You can buy 5 hi points for the price of my xdm.

I'm not syaing don't buy one because at 21' I hit paper with every shot. I'm just saying know what its' place is in the market and don't think you are going to win any competititons with it. It'll still hurt if you get hit with it.

I have been informed by an individual in law enforcement that Hi Point understands its market well and makes a very cheap gun that is purely designed for defense. I was also informed that the manufacturer works closely with law enforcement to ensure that shells ejected from its guns can be easily identified at a crime scene.

Cheap. Which makes it much easier for those of us on the lower end of the income chart to be able to protect ourselves. I have two of them; both are heavier than similar guns made by other manufacturers. However, so far I have found them both to be accurate and reliable. True, it took a few boxes of ammo to get them broken in, but after that I have had no problems. The only thing I don't like about them is their weight - they are heavy. They are also affordable, which makes the weight (to me) not a problem. Of course, I'm 6'1". Someone small would have a problem because of the weight. I've never entered any organized target shooting event, but I have won a few small bets for accuracy.

Thanks for the info. I don't own one but was looking for somehing my dad, a self employed plummer, you does some work in bad areas can use purely in self defense. He does not have much money and does not go to ranges and does not look at shooting as a hobby. He recently had a rough encounter and made him think about it more. I recommended the glock 17 and 21 which is what I have. He really can't afford that and can barely swing the price of a hi-point.

I have had good shooting with Hi Point .45,good ammo and cheap ran through it no problem and have always shot good groups.Yea it's cheap but so what.
I bought the 9mm carbine last weekend and can't believe how well it shoots out of the box.A LEO was at the range and wanted to try it.I thought he missed the target altogether until I realized his 4 were in the bulls eye (30') not bad.
Just my 2 cents.My carry is a Glock though.

No matter what gun you buy for your dad, he will need to invest in training. Since you say he will not be going to the range, he needs to become familiar with the law and the gun. Safety training, legal issues, and self defense techniques. If he is also in Illinois, he will need to learn the law to keep himself from violating their restrictive gun laws.

I bought a Hi Point 45 for $99 it was used alot, had some scratches on the slide and the springs were weak I called HP and they said send it in .when I got it back they replaced all the springs the firing pin the slide and gave me an extra mag for my trouble and they had it less then 2 weeks I had it in my bed stand when I saw an add for some one looking for one so I sold it, got more then I paid but then I was pissed I sold it, so I just bought another I pick it up tomorrow The first one I had I put 500 rounds thought not one hi-cup You can not beat them for the price, called my local dealer today to see what the prices were he said they are really hard to get right now in 45 he had one with a lazer for $223 I bought one privately for $175

I bought my hi-point 9mm for $150 brand new. It is my first handgun. I will probably never win a shooting contest with it, but I have no doubt I could stop a bad guy with it! I have only put about 500 rounds through it so far, but it has been flawless.

Thanks for the info. I don't own one but was looking for somehing my dad, a self employed plummer, you does some work in bad areas can use purely in self defense. He does not have much money and does not go to ranges and does not look at shooting as a hobby. He recently had a rough encounter and made him think about it more. I recommended the glock 17 and 21 which is what I have. He really can't afford that and can barely swing the price of a hi-point.

Might I recommend a small revolver? They are generally cheaper than autos and at close range a snub. 38 is a very good defensive weapon and easy to carry. My wife carries a S&W 637 airweight. 38 5shot revolver. Less than $400 and shoots very well.

I have had many people come through my concealed carry classes with Hi-Point firearms. All I can say is they all go bang when fired and hit with what is considered combat accuracy. Not all of us can afford a high dollar
super shooter, so for those that can't the hi-point is better then nothing and it will protect you, if you take
the time to learn to shoot it

I bought a hi-point 9mm pistol and a carbine last year. Both need good lubrication and the pistol needed about 300 rounds through it to be fully reliable (about 1 per 20 failure-to-feed stoppages until then). I also found that the pistol likes Remington better than Federal ammo, not saying one is better than the other, just for my gun.

The one thing I don't like about the pistol is the primitive safety, just one at the thumb, which to my mind can be easily slid off by mistake if carried. Because of this I never jack a round until I'm ready to shoot, which makes it less than ideal for carry. It's also bulky and unbalanced, and the best mag you can get is a 10-round straight stack. But for the price, for plinking or home defense, you can't beat it. I bought it new for about $150 on an army post PX. I keep Hornady Critical Defense in it away from the range.

The 9mm carbine is a real bargain, IMO. If lubricated properly it has had no problems or stoppages, and is dead accurate at 50 meters with 9mm ammo, still pretty good at 100M. It was about $225. The mags from the carbine can go into the pistol, but not vice-versa. Unfortunately the largest mag for the carbine is also only a 10-round straight stack.

I have heard they are bad news... but I have never held one, let alone shoot one. The horror stories I have heard scared me away. How about a nice cheap revolver for dad? My father in law bought a Armscor .38 at a gun show for $200 all in. Its a knock off of the Colt Detective Special, it has been very reliable for him.

A co-worker bought one for self-defense...

and she asked me to try it out. I found that it fired a little low but the rear sight adjustment brought it in just right. Good groupings. It cycled fine with a variety of 9mm ammo. Your mileage may vary.

Might I recommend a small revolver? They are generally cheaper than autos and at close range a snub. 38 is a very good defensive weapon and easy to carry. My wife carries a S&W 637 airweight. 38 5shot revolver. Less than $400 and shoots very well.[/QUOTE]

A revolver would be cheaper but is not an option in this case. Since their is not cc in Illinois, he would be transporting it on his person when he goes into the bad areas. In Illinois you can transport on your person as long as it is unloaded and in a case, Gun fanny pack or other gun belt pouch. Also you can have a loaded mag in the case next to the gun as long as it is not in the gun. In Illinois we call it 6 seconds to safety and is about as close as we Illinois people get to conceal carry.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back