Hi Point Squib

Cooter

Liberty or Death
I had some problems with a buddies Hi Point JH .45acp (as I posted in the gunsmith section. Link Removed) Well, I got it fixed today and my buddy Matt and I went to go test it out.
The first 3 mags shot fine. Then it double fired while Matt was shooting it. I immediately turned my attention to it, as I was practicing quick draws with my CCW. He noticed it was jammed, so he cleared the jam and tried to keep shooting, but the next round wouldn't chamber all the way. He was trying to figure it out, when I noticed the last casing from the jam was split very badly.
I then took the gun from him, and inspected the barrel. A bullet was lodged in the rear of the barrel, so that the next cartridge couldn't chamber all the way. If the bullet was just a quarter inch further, my buddy could have had a REALLY bad day.
The firing pin was stuck forward, so I am figuring that when it double fired, the second cartridge was fired before it was fully chambered, causing the bullet to be slightly off center, and lodge in the barrel. That would explain the shredded casing.
What started this problem with the Hi Point was (as stated in the other thread) my buddy lost the sear spring while we were replacing a broken firing pin. I had to use another spring from a Bic lighter that looked about the right size (a mistake I won't make again). I'm no gunsmith, but that is probably the reason for the double fire. It worked for a little while, but then almost ruined our day. I intend to call Hi Point and get a replacement spring.

Lessons learned:
1. Don't try to jimmie rig parts for firearms.
2. Shredded brass = something bad
3. Hi Points are casted by Satan himself :icon_mrgreen:

Make sure the barrel didn't bulge out from the stuck round. He was Lucky...

+1 for that. May not be a bad idea to send it back to Hi point. They can fix the sear spring and give the gun a good once over. Just to make sure the barrel and everything else is ok.

Glad to hear you found the issue and noone got hurt!

Wow..That experience is almost to the T with one I had. My buddy had a 9mm Hi Point he used to shoot at the range. He had a slightly out of battery discharge which bleed enough gas off to squib the round into the barrel. His barrel was toast and so he bought on the replacement parts for it. I'm still trying to talk him into moving a few hundred dollars up to something a bit more reliable. When I'm shooting, if I get a ftf like a stove pip or magazine issue, its not usually a big deal. But if I have a double feed or something thats different in sound, etc. I typically stop shooting and do a systems check. Even if that means pulling the barrel and checking it. We tend to get a bit complacent when throwing round after round down range, but man can you imagine how terrible that would have been if the squib was just into the threading and out of chamber. He go lucky. One more reason I probably will not ever own a hi point. Don't get me wrong, they are a cheap fun range gun. But they usually only seem to work well under constant baby care.

Definitely send it back to Hi-point. The give an unconditional warranty. Take them up on it. Most folks that I've heard of that have done this got a better gun back than what they bought.

Glad you all were ok. As Daddyo said I understand they have a life time warranty. send it back and make them fix it.

Yes send it back to High Point. Thay have a nice service department and will take care of it. Glad you are OK. I for one have not been all that keen on the High Point guns.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've told Matt he can send it back.
How does the law work about sending guns though the mail? As I understand, it has to be a private carrier, like UPS. But UPS doesn't allow handguns? Also, at least one party has to have an FFL, and the firearm must be dissasembled and flown first day air. Is that right? I can just imagine the cost of shipping a big, heavy chunk of steel 1st day air.

How does the law work about sending guns though the mail? As I understand, it has to be a private carrier, like UPS. But UPS doesn't allow handguns? Also, at least one party has to have an FFL, and the firearm must be dissasembled and flown first day air. Is that right? I can just imagine the cost of shipping a big, heavy chunk of steel 1st day air.

You are correct disassemble the gun. Put it back into its original box or a hard shell case. Package it up and take it to FedEx. Tell them you are sending a gun back to the factory and it'll have to be sent next day.

I sent something back to Springfield at UPS and they did not ask for my FFL.they said that if you are sending it to the manufacturer an individual can send it(call UPS ahead and ask them,some clerks may not know all of the policies on thet).As far as Hi-Point being bad firearms,I don't think I agree.They are inexpensive,but they also do have,as previously mentioned,have a lifetime gaurantee,and they will probable pay shipping if it is a waranty issue.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back