Here is one guy's OC experience with Bass Pro Shops

I carried concealed into my local shooting range, but had my bag with me (a few unloaded handguns, ammo, targets, etc.). On top of the bag was a fold-up Kel Tec rifle, unloaded and folded -- unable to fire.

The guy looked at me as if I were going to start shooting everyone. He asked me to show him it was cleared, which I did, and then told me that I have to have it in a case next time. I asked why, since long guns are allowed to be carried around in my state if they are unloaded, plus I had my CC weapon on me. He told me even CC is against store policy, and next time, I would have to disarm before I came in.

All this under a "We Support the 2nd Amendment!" sign. Ironic.

So I told him that I thought it was a bad policy, considering their supposed gun-rights position, and that I would never be back. Haven't stepped foot in there since.

The laws vary state to state. Some states do not distinguish between OC and CC. In those states, it is just a carry permit, and is required to do either.

Thank you for the explanation... I was also confused. I shouldn't be...now that I think about it, that's the way it works in the most populated county in Oregon (Multnomah)-- i.e. open carry is illegal unless you have a CHL or are on your way hunting (for long guns). It sure was a different world growing up in Idaho...the idea of requiring a permit to OC would have been laughable (and probably still is!).

I have not OC in BPS as of yet but there is one near my home as well as a Gander Mountain. As soon as I get home off the road I will be goping there to test them out.....btw...that would be in Michigan where sometimes the LEO's try to still act like it's illegal. But they are learning...just sayin....:to_pick_ones_nose::to_pick_ones_nose::cool:

Sorry to revive an old thread but the info is needed.

Bass Pro. Inc. Clarifies Policy “ Open Carry Welcome!

June 2009
OpenCarry.org (OCDO) is pleased to announce that Bass Pro Inc. advised OCDO co-founder Mike Stollenwerk by telephone today that open carry of holstered handguns is as welcome as concealed carry provided all federal and state laws are followed.

After being contacted by OpenCarry.org (and apparently some of our almost 20,000 some thousand members) about sporadic inconsistent treatment of open carriers at some Bass Pro shops, Bass Pro’s Manager of Communications Larry L. Whiteley asked OCDO co-founder Mike Stollenwerk for more background information and some time to straighten things out.

Stollenwerk advised Whitely two weeks ago that open carry is legal in most states, usually without a permit, and that Sportsmans™ Warehouse and Cabelas have adopted clear corporate policies welcoming open carriers in their stores just as they do concealed carriers. Further Stollenwerk noted, its better to adopt one clear corporate policy than allow individual employees make up store rules or give legal advice to customers, i.e., the proverbial but well meaning, psst, hey, you gotta cover that up, its the kind of thing, which can get gun owners in trouble for breaking the law and unlawfully concealing (e.g., in Wisconsin where no permit to conceal is even issued).

Well today Mr. Whiteley called and confirmed that Bass Pro's policy is and always was to be to respect lawful customer gun carry, concealed or open, and that steps the following steps are being taken to ensure this policy is understood by all managers and employees, including production and distribution of training videos as well re-drafting of signage pertaining to guns.

OpenCarry.org is pleased that Bass Pro. joins both Sportsmans Warehouse and Cabelas in clarifying to OpenCarry.org that open carry is welcome in their stores as a matter of corporate policy.

Link Removed!

M1gunr,
You need to ad that to your list of store policies at Northwest Citizens Defense League.

I generally just ignore people that question. When they try to start conversation with me I tell them that I really dont have time to talk right now and that they can call "my office" to make an appointment. I've become pretty good at cutting them off while walking away. Havent had the cops called on me yet.

I was recently in the Bass Pro Shops at Destin, Fl. I have a FL CCW and was carrying. There was a sign just inside the door stating "ALL FIREARMS must be checked in at Customer Service".

:mad::mad: I DON"T THINK SO. We shopped and then had lunch at The Isla Morada Fish Company and I figured if someone saw me printing. (Not likely) and then mentioned it I would just walk out. Never to return. Of course after reminding them of the 400.00 or 500.00 bones I drop everytime I walk through the doors.

I was recently in the Bass Pro Shops at Destin, Fl. I have a FL CCW and was carrying. There was a sign just inside the door stating "ALL FIREARMS must be checked in at Customer Service".

:mad::mad: I DON"T THINK SO. We shopped and then had lunch at The Isla Morada Fish Company and I figured if someone saw me printing. (Not likely) and then mentioned it I would just walk out. Never to return. Of course after reminding them of the 400.00 or 500.00 bones I drop everytime I walk through the doors.

I'm in that store on a regular basis. The sign is for firearms being returned, or for repair, or that customer who wants to see if they have a holster or accessories for a particular gun. It does NOT apply to CCW.

I'm in that store on a regular basis. The sign is for firearms being returned, or for repair, or that customer who wants to see if they have a holster or accessories for a particular gun. It does NOT apply to CCW.

Yea, that is what it says here on the front door sign at Gander Mountain.

Some of the folks at some of the Bass Pro Shops have a slightly high opinion of themselves. I live in Tennessee and occasionally open carry if I feel it's warranted for personal security and have never had a problem. I'm usually concealed however cause it's usually better to "Surprise" the bad guys.

When I used to have a shop in Daytona, there was no law against having an open alcohol container in a vehicle. None the less, I didn't allow people to drive into my shop with one. I didn't need, or want, nor could I afford the liability. If the customer couldn't go a short time without drinking I didn't want their business anyway. I don't see the big deal. Cover the gun up til done shopping. JMHO

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back