helpful tactical rifle hint

festus

God Bless Our Troops!!!
My HK91 Clone does not have last shot hold open so this is what works for me.

When I load a mag for tactical purposes the first 2 rounds in the mag are Tracer. Followed by 5 rounds of ball. Another Tracer followed by five more rounds of ball. Yet anothet tracer followed by five rounds of ball and finally a tracer.

Firing sequence is
Tracer
ball
ball
ball
ball
ball
tracer
ball
ball
ball
ball
ball
tracer
ball
ball
ball
ball
ball
tracer
tracer
empty

This allows me to know that
1 I am out of ammo (mag Change)
2 with the first round being tracer if I need to correct, I know which way to hold to ensure hits with the second and subsequent rounds.

Tracers work BOTH directions, VERY easy to locate you when shooting tracers!

Most gun ranges prohibit tracers, and many states restrict tracer ownership and use of them.
Keep that in mind when trying this...

I know of one idiot that had tracers in his rifle during a military engagement,
(night patrol to get into position, attack at daylight, tracers still in from night operations...)

Generally, Afghani/Taliban fighters can't shoot worth a crap, but they were UNUSUALLY accurate and concentrated on one position until the idiot figured it out and changed mags!

You could just remember to round count, or tactical reload when your down in the magazine far enough. :biggrin:

You could just remember to round count, or tactical reload when your down in the magazine far enough.

Round counting will work fine on the range, but probably not under battle stress. I believe it's stupid the HK91 doesn't lock open on the last shot.:wacko: Big design flaw, IMHO.

you need tools for HK91 sights

Isn't that what those bumpy things on the top of the rifle (sights) are for?

while returning fire ain't the time to go digging through your ruck for a screwdriver and or armorers tool

Round counting will work fine on the range, but probably not under battle stress. I believe it's stupid the HK91 doesn't lock open on the last shot.:wacko: Big design flaw, IMHO.

Lots of battle rifles do not have a last round hold open, including HK and AKs, they seem to do fine in the real world since they were and are designed to be used in a team environment.

Much of the German military small arms thought was formed in WWI, in the trenches a last round hold open would have allowed dirt and mud into the gun, hence the thought that this was a bad feature to have.

Same reason why they stuck with heel release mag catches on their pistols for so long, full coverage holsters, etc.

For non-military use I'd think tracers would generally be a bad idea. I have also found that when you are behind the gun and on the sights it's near impossible to see your own tracer rounds going downrange.

Much of the German military small arms thought was formed in WWI, in the trenches a last round hold open would have allowed dirt and mud into the gun, hence the thought that this was a bad feature to have.

Interesting, I hadn't thought about that - thanks for the info. I still think an empty mag hold-open would be a far better approach, though, better than counting rounds or wondering if your gun jammed. But maybe this would require significant design changes in the action in order to implement.

I agree that a bolt hold open is a good idea, but in the element of an infantry squad on the battlefield most armies seem to think it's less important.

Maybe Its just me but I have found that my thinking process is way overloaded during the fight. I have been in several firefights where I couldn't tell you how many mags I went through, let alone having counted rounds. This is why I have my last two magazines marked, and I do an ammo check right after the fight is over, or is at a lull point.There is just simply too much information in my head when I am trying to coordinate weapon placement and movement. Plus you have the "headshed" on the radio asking everthing but for a powerpoint slide detailing the event. Even when I can't hear a thing cause of the noise I can feel the bolt lock open on my M-4 and know its time to refresh.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back