Help With Va....

t11spanner

Dispatcher Extraordinaire
Good morning everyone!

Seeing that I promised myself that I would never live in a restrictive state like MD ever again, the prospect of a new position in the Arlington, Va area has presented itself.

As I research the Va CCW regulations, I see that I am okay for getting a permit, once I get settled.

What I cannot seem to find is whether or not there is a ban on assault style weapons, and high capicity magazines (both rifle and handgun).

My last thought is about the one gun purchase a month regulation. Does that apply to CCW holders and does that apply to rifles too?

Thanks in advance.

You are fine, there is no ban on hi cap mags or assault type weapons.

With your Virginia CCW permit, there is no limit on purchases, you don't have to wait a month in between purchases! :biggrin:

What about muzzle suppressors/silencers?

What is not allowed in VA?
What may need special permits?

What about muzzle suppressors/silencers?

What is not allowed in VA?
What may need special permits?

You need to fill out form 4 with the ATF. Below is the information you seek regarding VA;

Virginia (VA) What NFA Firearms can I own?

There are several type of Class 3 items that are restricted by the National Firearms Act.

Each state can impose additional restrictions on the sale, purchase, and transfer of class 3 firearms in addition to the compliance that is required with the national Firearms Act.

In Virginia you can own the following items that are regulated the the National Firearms Act

Machine Guns
Silencers
Any Other Weapon (AOW)
Destructive Devices (DD)
Short Barreled Shotguns (SBS)
Short Barreled Rifles (SBR)

In Virginia you cannot own the following NFA restricted items.

None

Looks pretty good to me!! SBS and SBR are restricted here in AL.

You need to fill out form 4 with the ATF. Below is the information you seek regarding VA;

Virginia (VA) What NFA Firearms can I own?

There are several type of Class 3 items that are restricted by the National Firearms Act.

Each state can impose additional restrictions on the sale, purchase, and transfer of class 3 firearms in addition to the compliance that is required with the national Firearms Act.

In Virginia you can own the following items that are regulated the the National Firearms Act

Machine Guns
Silencers
Any Other Weapon (AOW)
Destructive Devices (DD)
Short Barreled Shotguns (SBS)
Short Barreled Rifles (SBR)

In Virginia you cannot own the following NFA restricted items.

None

Looks pretty good to me!! SBS and SBR are restricted here in AL.

Actually, there are a few cities where there is a cap on magazine size. Get the gun laws guide for VA for specifics. I think Richmond is one of those cities. But the put it specific like no more than 20rds on concealed carry. etc...

You are fine, there is no ban on hi cap mags or assault type weapons.

With your Virginia CCW permit, there is no limit on purchases, you don't have to wait a month in between purchases! :biggrin:

the shop owner will ask you if you have bought one within the last month. There is no restriction on buying it, but the dealer has to make note of it

Just As Soon As You Cross the Potomac

You can carry open, without a permit. You MUST carry open - at least until 1 July 2010 - while in a restrurant that sells booze by the glass.

Significance of 1 July 2010

That is the date that laws take effect in Virginia. If the state legislators again approve, and the Governor just elected does what he has he will, it will be legal to carry concealed while being in establishments selling alcohol by the drink. Now you have go open, and you can drink.

The departing governor, Kaine, vetoed it the last time it came up. He moved on to be the Democratic National Chairman....

That is the date that laws take effect in Virginia. If the state legislators again approve, and the Governor just elected does what he has he will, it will be legal to carry concealed while being in establishments selling alcohol by the drink. Now you have go open, and you can drink.

The departing governor, Kaine, vetoed it the last time it came up. He moved on to be the Democratic National Chairman....

ONE reason he was ousted!

From what I am seeing on other forums, the "restaurant carry" has been passed, awaiting McDonald's signature now. Will be nice NOT to disarm to go eat. One place I go does NOT sell alcohol. but has their license so groups can drink when they come in. Have never been there when these groups are there, but still couldn't CC.

From what I am seeing on other forums, the "restaurant carry" has been passed, awaiting McDonald's signature now. Will be nice NOT to disarm to go eat. One place I go does NOT sell alcohol. but has their license so groups can drink when they come in. Have never been there when these groups are there, but still couldn't CC.

Why would you have disarmed? I thought you guys were allowed to OC before the law comes into effect.

we do. I just don't usually OC any more. Don't go to that restaurant much any more either. Found one not too far away that has GREAT food (owner grows his own beef), good prices, and no ABC license. Got to the point that I don't like being around any drinking at all now. Not putting ANYBODY down that drinks, I just stay away from it.

I know this is an old post, but since the thread is still moving, I thought this should be addressed.
Actually, there are a few cities where there is a cap on magazine size. Get the gun laws guide for VA for specifics. I think Richmond is one of those cities. But the put it specific like no more than 20rds on concealed carry. etc...
VA has statewide preemption. Local laws of this nature are invalid.

is there a reference for this? somewhere i can read exactly what is allowed and what isn't? I'm going to be taking a trip (after July 1st fortunately) to Virginia and would like to be up to speed on CC laws before I go.

I know this is an old post, but since the thread is still moving, I thought this should be addressed. VA has statewide preemption. Local laws of this nature are invalid.
I was going to ask about pre emption. Good man Utimmer!!!:yu:2

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back