Help With Rifle Calibers

indyyy

As some of you might remember, I'm looking for a rifle, and the outdoor ranges usually open this month where I'm at (if the weather gets a bit better). The rifle ranges here only allow pistol caliber rifles. I like the 357 magnum lever action, but I think first I'd like to get a semi auto that my wife can also shoot - with her arthritis and fibro handling the lever might be a bit too much. Which leaves 9 mm or 22lr / 223. I don't know very much about 223 other than it's a little bigger than a 22lr and is a rifle as opposed to handgun. I was reading that a 223 rifle with a 22 upper or adapter (whatever they're called) is nice because I can use 22lr for target practice and save alot on ammo. I would love some input on 223 for long range SHTF situations vs 9 mm. Also, if I get a larger rifle caliber that I can't shoot at the range- how much different would shooting be if I practiced with a 22lr. And... where do some of you who live in large cities go to shoot rifles with rifle calibers if you can't shoot at the range?

Also, I saw that Gander Mountain has a S&W M&P 15 that's chambered in 223 Rem / 5.56 Nato. If I got this - since it's chambered for both, would it be possible to get the adapter / upper so I could use 22lr at the range?

****** Building an Upper is what i meant by 'upper/adapter' . Is this as simple as buyinb a 22lr barell or more complex ?

Howdy indyyy,

A 9mm carbine would probably be you best bet unless you want a .22LR. If you want a .22LR buy a Ruger 10/22.

I know there are several 9mm carbines on the market, the Beretta is a nice one.

I myself have an old Marlin Camp 9 that's fun to shoot and has had +5,000 rounds of Monarch steel cased 9mm fires through it.

Paul

Which leaves 9 mm or 22lr / 223. I don't know very much about 223 other than it's a little bigger than a 22lr and is a rifle as opposed to handgun. I was reading that a 223 rifle with a 22 upper or adapter (whatever they're called) is nice because I can use 22lr for target practice and save alot on ammo. I would love some input on 223 for long range SHTF situations vs 9 mm. Also, if I get a larger rifle caliber that I can't shoot at the range- how much different would shooting be if I practiced with a 22lr. And... where do some of you who live in large cities go to shoot rifles with rifle calibers if you can't shoot at the range?

.223 is a .22 caliber rifle round. Other than the caliber, the .223 and .22lr have nothing in common. For an AR, you can buy a drop in conversion kit to shoot .22lr. The swap takes less than a minute and I have used them with great success. At distances up to 50 meters, practicing with .22lr and .223 will be identical. .223 is a good round out to 400 meters and can be efectively shot by most shooters out to 600 meters. Compared to your other options it is a much better SHTF stand-off round, but it is not a long range round.

Also, I saw that Gander Mountain has a S&W M&P 15 that's chambered in 223 Rem / 5.56 Nato. If I got this - since it's chambered for both, would it be possible to get the adapter / upper so I could use 22lr at the range?
.223 Remington and 5.56x45mm Nato are almost the same round. The 5.56 round runs a little higher chamber pressure. 5.56 is typically military surplus ammo and can be had pretty cheap. If you have a gun chambered in 5.56 you can safely shoot .223, but it is not recomended to go the other way.

****** Building an Upper is what i meant by 'upper/adapter' . Is this as simple as buyinb a 22lr barell or more complex ?
.22lr is rimfire while .223 is centerfire. The .223 would use the AR15s gas operating system while the .22lr would be blowback operated. A drop in kit is more cost effective and what I would recommend.

A 9mm carbine would probably be you best bet unless you want a .22LR. If you want a .22LR buy a Ruger 10/22.

I already have a Marlin 22lr which I go for my wife for HD because her fibro and arthritis make it too hard for her to handle the recoil. I'm thinking of something a little more powerful for myself, and I don't know - she might be able to handle a 9mm semi auto.

The main problem is that they only allow rifles that shoot pistol calibers at the rifle range, so that limits me. I wouldn't mind getting a 9 mm and a larger caliber for long range, but there's no place to practice with a rifle that's not pistol caliber except the couple times a year we go visit my wife's family on their farm.

Howdy indyyy,

Here's a link to the Beretta Storm 9mm:

Cx4 Storm

I've seen them at WalMart for less than $500.00.

The 9mm Storm will be shootable for wife because it will have very little recoil.

Paul

I already have a Marlin 22lr which I go for my wife for HD because her fibro and arthritis make it too hard for her to handle the recoil. I'm thinking of something a little more powerful for myself, and I don't know - she might be able to handle a 9mm semi auto.

The main problem is that they only allow rifles that shoot pistol calibers at the rifle range, so that limits me. I wouldn't mind getting a 9 mm and a larger caliber for long range, but there's no place to practice with a rifle that's not pistol caliber except the couple times a year we go visit my wife's family on their farm.
.22LR, .22Mag, .223/5.56mm, 7.62X39mm, .357Mag, 9mm, .40S&W, .45ACP, .32-20WCF are all pistol rounds that you find in rifles or rifle rounds found in pistols. You can also get adapters to fire .32S&W in .30-06 rifles.

Like said above a 9mm carbine would be your most likely option.
A Hi Point carbine at around $300 would be the low ball price point. I found them heavy and rather clumsy with small magazine capacity.
The Beretta Storm 9mm would likely be a much better choice if you could swing the extra $200 price tag.

I've been considering Hi Point and Beretta Storm for awhile now. The Storm's are $700-$800 when I see them available now, and can find 30 rd for carbines for about the same price. It sucks that the stores around here don't allow rifles in the indoor ranges (which stores have) so I can't try them out before buying.

how would you guys compare the storm with this century arms 30 rd car ine: http://www.impactguns.com/uzo-uc-9-...rifleby-masterpiece-arms-detail.html?Itemid=0

.22LR, .22Mag, .223/5.56mm, 7.62X39mm, .357Mag, 9mm, .40S&W, .45ACP, .32-20WCF are all pistol rounds that you find in rifles or rifle rounds found in pistols. You can also get adapters to fire .32S&W in .30-06 rifles.

If I'm understanding this right - .30-06 would be the most powerful caliber on the list and I could get .32s&w adapter which would be a pistol round. Is this correct, or would a .40sw or .45acp be more powerful in a rifle ?

If I'm understanding this right - .30-06 would be the most powerful caliber on the list and I could get .32s&w adapter which would be a pistol round. Is this correct, or would a .40sw or .45acp be more powerful in a rifle ?
The .45ACP would be but the largest round for use in a converted .30-06 would be the .32S&W. Most ranges I've shot at allowed my 9mm carbine indoors and one range will even allow up to a .50BMG. Too bad it only is 23yds long. Here is one company that makes the adapters. Link Removed

Yes the 30/06 is way more powerful than any pistol round. Chamber adapters are just a novelty and you should likely stick to your original plan of a pistol caliber carbine.

Most ranges I've shot at allowed my 9mm carbine indoors and one range will even allow up to a .50BMG. Too bad it only is 23yds long

Unless I'm going to rent a gun to try out in a store, I go to an outdoor range that's close to me. It's exclusive for police practice weekdays, and civilians on weekends. It's nice in that targets can be placed 100 yards away if desired (most are 20 feet for pistols). The only drawback is that rifles must be pistol caliber to shoot them there. I have yet to find a store here that allows rifles in the indoor ranges and lanes are usually about 40 feet max in them.

I could get both a 30-06 rifle and 9 mm carbine, bud don't know where I would be able to practice with the 30-06.

I am small and I would go with the 9mm. Also the weight of the gun should be light enough she will not get sore or fagtued. The weight of the gun is essential for her.Also see if a range will give you a deal. Ask them if the will let you try a lot of firearms for certain amount of money. And you could throw in that you would buy from them. If you talk to them about your wife and what problems she has. Then they can recommend a gun more appropriate for her. More likely they have had someone before her cone in with similar challenges. Also that will save you a huge amount of time and money. Although do t let them sale you the top exspensive guns either. I hope this helps :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using USA Carry mobile app

I think I would stick to 22LR and 9mm. I have had good luck with Hi-Point pistols so I would buy a Hi-Point rifle for a little under $300 rather than buying an expensive rifle. If it works out for you, you can upgrade later. I also like my Marlin 60.

I think I would stick to 22LR and 9mm. I have had good luck with Hi-Point pistols so I would buy a Hi-Point rifle for a little under $300 rather than buying an expensive rifle. If it works out for you, you can upgrade later. I also like my Marlin 60.

It will take some thought. I got the Marlin 795 for wife last spring and got the 25 round mag for it. It's nice to be able to shoot more rounds before reloading. If I get a high point with 10 rounds, I'd probably want to have 30 round capacity - so in the end wind up paying $300 for the High Point and then another $700 for the upgrade. The 16/17 round Beretta Storm would be good too, but the way it's priced right now I could get one of the 30 round carbines for about the same price.

For a rifle chambered in .22lr, I highly recommend the S&W M&P 15-22. It has the same controls like its .223/5.56 brother, the S&W M&P 15, and you don't have to go full-out on a project build by trying to convert an AR from .223/5.56 to .22lr. The S&W M&P 15-22 is the most reliable and most fun semi-auto .22lr rifle I have seen. Its magazine capacity is 25 rounds.

For pistol-caliber carbines, I highly recommend the Link Removed in 9mm configured for Glock magazines. This will be hard to find and likely above list price. Note that the Glock magazine compatibility gives you options to go with the 33-round stick magazine or even with a Link Removed.

There is also the option to convert an existing pistol to a rifle using a Link Removed upper.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back