Help with Non-Resident LTC

jakeb

Hey Everyone,

I'm trying to figure this out...

Required Documents:
1. Approved training course given by the NRA or a Massachusetts state certified instructor within the lastyear

Since I'm a current CCW holder in CT and took my NRA course over 5 years ago do I need to go through another one in order to get my Non-Resident LTC in MA?

Thanks!

Jake

PS - I probably will since I want a Utah permit anyway.

Actually, from what I understand, no training is required for a MA permit. However, since it is may issue, the issuing chief may want you to have training before issuing one. It depends on the county in which you reside.

tattedupboy is wrong and doesn't know what he is talking about. If he did he would know that non-resident permits are given out by the state and has nothing to do with "the chief" or "It depends on the county in which you reside." Sorry to sound harsh but.... I've had this permit for the last 8 or so years now and I know the process

Anyways yes you need to take a class, and it must be an approved class which is outlined on the application. Good luck. Anybody in the NH area I recommend taking your class with Tom Brown at Manchester Firing Line

Last edited:
tattedupboy is wrong and doesn't know what he is talking about. If he did he would know that non-resident permits are given out by the state and has nothing to do with "the chief" or "It depends on the county in which you reside." Sorry to sound harsh but.... I've had this permit for the last 8 or so years now and I know the process

Anyways yes you need to take a class, and it must be an approved class which is outlined on the application. Good luck. Anybody in the NH area I recommend taking your class with Tom Brown at Manchester Firing Line

First off, you are SOOOO out of line. Second, Tatted was simply posting his opinion on the matter to answer someone’s question. There is no need to get heated because he may be incorrect. A simple correction would have been fine. Tatted is not from MA so might not know the deal with MA permits, which is fine. The way you handled this situation in my eyes was totally un-called for.

I agree with capo2186 on the "out of line" reply.
On another note, I'm a NH res. and I did take a class with T.Brown (even though there ARE Others out there) in which case was a very good class mind you. I also took another class at a Gun Club in the area. All in all, I ended up passing in 3 NRA certificates in with my MA. application along with all other info needed. Mailed it in to the Chelsea, MA. address. I did not call to check status or anything like that. I waited. Took about 2 months, that's it.
tattes answer MAY be for MA. RESIDENTS only?
.......and welcome to the forum.

Okay. Here's the fact. If you're a NON resident, and want a cc in MA, all you have to do is file with the state police and pay the ANNUAL fee, not the 5 year residents fee. That's if you already have a CC in your own state. How do I know this? I just called my buddy who just became licensed to give the safety pistol course (REQUIRED FOR RESIDENTS). I'm taking the exam on the 28th to be an instructor as well. His brother just got HIS non resident here from TN, and that's all he had to do.

In MA, for a RESIDENT CC permit, it is up to the police chief in the town of residency of the applicant weather he will issue a CC or not. But that is SUPPOSED to change soon, and for the better. It's supposed to change to the state at some point. No more baloney, you either qualify or you don't. Right now a chief can say, John Doe has five speeding tickets and got caught with a small striped bass, and we find him unsuitable to carry a weapon because he shows disregard for the law.

Both residents and non-residents are required to supply proof of training. There are currently 18 courses that are approved. The catch is that you must take the course from a Massachusetts State Police certified instructor who provides you with the Massachusetts State Police Basic Firearms Safety course certificate. This certificate is what must be included with the application, not an NRA or other training academy certificate.

Both residents and non-residents are required to supply proof of training. There are currently 18 courses that are approved. The catch is that you must take the course from a Massachusetts State Police certified instructor who provides you with the Massachusetts State Police Basic Firearms Safety course certificate. This certificate is what must be included with the application, not an NRA or other training academy certificate.

Holding application right in front of me.
A current and complete list of acceptable courses may be found at the State Police web site at: Executive Office of Public Safety (click on "Department of State Police" and then "Firearm Registration and Laws"). The following are some of the acceptable courses:
Massachusetts Chiefs of Police Association Basic Handgun Safety Course
NRA Basic Pistol Course and Personal Protection Course
SIG Arms Academy Handgun Orientation
Smith & Wesson Academy Massachusetts Carry Permit Course
ALSO, to answer OP's question.........
First time applicants must submit a copy of a recent certificate showing completion of a basic firearm safety coures given in their home state or in Massachusetts. This course must have been taken with an instructor who is certifeid by the Colonel of the Massachusetts State Police.
I took the Personal Protection and Out of the Home courses from MFL with Tom B. who is an NRA instructor and who is certified by the Colonel of the Massachusetts State Police. THAT is how I got My " training academy certificate" which IS ACCEPTED by Massachusetts.
Please note.....the above is from my application which is titled: Non-Resident Application Instructions

Last edited:

Holding application right in front of me.
A current and complete list of acceptable courses may be found at the State Police web site at: Executive Office of Public Safety (click on "Department of State Police" and then "Firearm Registration and Laws"). The following are some of the acceptable courses:
Massachusetts Chiefs of Police Association Basic Handgun Safety Course
NRA Basic Pistol Course and Personal Protection Course
SIG Arms Academy Handgun Orientation
Smith & Wesson Academy Massachusetts Carry Permit Course
ALSO, to answer OP's question.........
First time applicants must submit a copy of a recent certificate showing completion of a basic firearm safety coures given in their home state or in Massachusetts. This course must have been taken with an instructor who is certifeid by the Colonel of the Massachusetts State Police.
I took the Personal Protection and Out of the Home courses from MFL with Tom B. who is an NRA instructor and who is certified by the Colonel of the Massachusetts State Police. THAT is how I got My " training academy certificate" which IS ACCEPTED by Massachusetts.
Please note.....the above is from my application which is titled: Non-Resident Application Instructions

The old NRA Personal Protection is on the EOPS list as LTC-003. The NRA has dropped that course and now offers two new ones: Personal Protection Inside the Home (PPIH) and Personal Protection Outside the Home (PPOH). The new courses are not on the EOPS list yet.

I offer several courses, including PPIH, but give the NRA Basic Pistol course at the Hartford Gun Club because it is the benchmark for CT required training as well as being on the EOPS list.

So then, it is acceptable correct??

I spoke to T.Brown this a.m. and asked about THAT certificate being needed for Non-Res. RENEWAL and he said you do not need to send in certificates if it is a renewal, but still need to fill application along with Other items needed. Lady at the Firearms Support in Chelsea where application is sent from and sent to said pretty much the same thing. Don't get confused guys...this is for non-res renewal. Soon as I get the Package in the mail I'll get it back out in the mail along with the $100. ........ouch!!!! Hey, I guess it is better than $250. + eh? I'll keep updated if I run into any changes.
thnx.

.....I should also add, any certificates you do get over time wouldn't hurt to send in. The more course taken the better......from what I was told, being resident or non.

That is correct - a certificate is only needed with new license applications, not with renewal applications.

There is currently a bill in committee that would change the price to $ 40.00, and term to 6 years, even for non-residents. Let's hope it passes!

Yes. My bad. I guess I screwed up where I put the (required by residents) I meant to say "same as the one required by residents". ALL non resident apps go through the State Police.

What gets me is, after you pass the required exam to be an NRA instructor in the state, The State Police take that, charge you fifty bucks and give you ANOTHER piece of paper saying you're qualified, LOL! Like that makes you MORE qualified. It just makes you $50 poorer.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back