Help with a decision

jabatam

I am posting because a friend came to me and, not having her specific needs, I don't have an answer for her. She has rheumatoid arthritis and has issues with hand strength and grip. She wants a good CC pistol or revolver that is reliable, packs a decent punch, is comfortable while carrying concealed, and fits her specific requirements.

Can anyone provide suggestions?

Glock with a 3.5lb trigger connector? Or maybe a S&W revolver that's got the option to be SA/DA. Only downside to that is it will have a hammer.

You need to take her to a gun store and see what she can physically handle.

Will a double action trigger be to much?

Can she work the slide on a semi-auto?

Once you know that then you can go to the next step.

I have a friend who is looking for firearm for wife and is doing exactly what is mentioned above. He seems to be heading toward a single action revolver with some weight to balance against recoil. The lighter revolvers have a bit or recoil the double actions have a difficult trigger pull and the semis are not easy to rack. The gun shop is the place to go, particularly ones that have rentals.

She absolutly has to pick her own gun, also stay away from the small light weight 9mms and 380s, they sting to much when shot, useing 380 as a minimum caliber, but 9mm would be a better choice, or a 38 revolver, the things she needs to pay perticular attebtion to is being able to rack the slide on the pistols, and trigger pull on both pistols and revolvers, also dont stay away from the 45 acp just because its a "45" some are very easy to use, and recoil is not what you might expect, go to a well stocked gun shop and look around, preferably they have a range and may rent guns, try anything that may apeal to you, if you see a pistol you like but have trouble racking it, ask the people there for tips to make it easyer

Getting it Right

Depending on your friends painful condition extent her shooting my not be helpful to her condition and my only make it worse. This should be discussed with her doctor for her long term benefit of treatment. So keeping this in mind the need to reduce the felt recoil is absolutely necessary. Also keeping in mind that her condition barring a miracle is not going to get better. Their handling the gun, loading the gun, cleaning the gun along with firing the gun need to be taken into consideration during the search for the right weapon. Keep in mind trigger pulls can always be worked to suit the need of the shooter, this will help tremendously down the road as their condition my deteriate. The right weapon is a personal matter and in your friends case a deeply personal matter. I wish them well in their search for the right firearm and wish them well in their fight with RA. God Bless

Does she have any shooting experience and if so with what type of weapon? That's going to be the first hurdle for her.

The advise given to go to a good shop with a real wide selection available is the best given.

Look for the manufacturers that produce a gun with a production rubber grip. The grip should be the first qualification she looks for. If she can't wrap her hand around it, it won't matter if it's a .22 or a .50AE. She won't be able to handle it.

When my wife began to develop carpal tunnel syndrom, shooting her .38 Snub nose got to be painful. She looked at many different weapons thinking a new gun was what she needed but she really likes her wheel gun. She ended up getting a "custom" grip set that has finger cuts and a fatter heel. The fatter heel helps distribute the recoil over a larger portion of her palm and the finger cuts give her better purchase on the total grip. Working a rubber ball in her shooting hand also helped to strengthen her grip and wrist.

Good luck to your lady friend.

The wife likes to shoot semi autos, but has bunches of problems racking the slides.

I recommended a revolver ~ she found a Ruger SP101 and hasn't looked back. She's very good with it now.

Agree you should take her to a gun shop and let her handle a variety. She will find one she likes and will use.

I had a customer come in with the same requirements. She ended up with a revolver,rubber grip and a good trigger job! 38 special, not +p. I smoothed the action and lightened the D/A pull to about 10lb, which may sound a bit heavy but the action work makes it feel about 8lb. She requested to keep the hammer intact so she could also shoot it S/A. She wanted it for home protection, not CC.

I had a customer come in with the same requirements. She ended up with a revolver,rubber grip and a good trigger job! 38 special, not +p. I smoothed the action and lightened the D/A pull to about 10lb, which may sound a bit heavy but the action work makes it feel about 8lb. She requested to keep the hammer intact so she could also shoot it S/A. She wanted it for home protection, not CC.

That's where I would start, If the lady has hand/wrist streingth issues, firing a semi-auto may result in jamming.

my girl friend ( 69 yrs ) bought a 642 smith and had a problem with the trigger I put light springs in it for her and made it so she could pull the trigger , but she found a 238 sig and she can rack it plus it fits her hand , I would recommend a look at the 238 sig

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back