Help me understand peening...

jason73

I am a relative newbie in the firearms world, only been shooting about 6 or 7 months. Can someone please give a clear definition of what "peening" is and what should I be looking for to tell if my gun is doing it?

Thank you in advance for the help.

Check out the underside of your slide near the ejection port. The "peening" would be noticeable wear marks in the metal. It's most prevalent in Glock pistols with calibers that create high pressures like the .40 s&w cartridge and 10mm cartridge.

gf

Interesting because I have the Glock 23. Does this have an effect on accuracy. So basically do a field strip and look at the underside of the slide then.....ok.

Interesting because I have the Glock 23. Does this have an effect on accuracy. So basically do a field strip and look at the underside of the slide then.....ok.

It shouldn't affect accuracy, but does indicate the useful life of the pistol. Excessive peening could lead to cracking of the slide and a fatal malfunction. Check out the underside of the slide in the "ejection port" area. My G 23 has around 12,000 rounds through it, and so far no signs of peening.

gf

Glockfan,

Thanks...and its nice to hear this from another 23 owner. I just got mine a couple of weeks ago and only have 200-250 rounds through it.

One last question for you...since you have a 23, have you noticed after a range session that the barrel or end of the slide gets like a greyish/white appearance to it? Is this simply from the heat that is generated?

I love my 23 so far, it has been absolutely perfect for concealed carry.

Glockfan,

Thanks...and its nice to hear this from another 23 owner. I just got mine a couple of weeks ago and only have 200-250 rounds through it.

One last question for you...since you have a 23, have you noticed after a range session that the barrel or end of the slide gets like a greyish/white appearance to it? Is this simply from the heat that is generated?

I love my 23 so far, it has been absolutely perfect for concealed carry.

The greyish/white substance could be powder residue. I noticed that I don't get that substance on my Glocks (23, 27, 19 or 26) all of the time. I think it depends on the brand of ammo you're shooting and the kind of powder that i'ts loaded with.

gf

My Baby Eagle gets the same discoloration on the business end of the slide/frame. I don't know if it's from temperature or residue, but it comes off when I clean the gun.

make sure you dont fire +P ammo in your glock if you have or do it voids the warrenty and can even cause great more grevious malfuctions such as a cracked frame. the +p can be the cause of your peening or it could just be the new glocks inability for quality control the newer glocks have been developy problems for this try to call glock and check if there have been any recalls in your serial number range. If they admit they will replace is.

make sure you dont fire +P ammo in your glock if you have or do it voids the warrenty and can even cause great more grevious malfuctions such as a cracked frame. the +p can be the cause of your peening or it could just be the new glocks inability for quality control the newer glocks have been developy problems for this try to call glock and check if there have been any recalls in your serial number range. If they admit they will replace is.

You'd better check that again--Glocks are rated for +p ammo, AFAIK. Reloaded ammo is a different matter, but Glocks eat +p ammo all day and have no more problems with it than other modern semi-autos.

How Glocks work:

howaglockworks.gif

Sorry! Couldn't resist... :sarcastic:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back