help me get over it

bellyfat

or mabey i shouldnt.
ive owned several semi auto guns. mostly hand guns.
ive never owned or borrowed one that didnt jam or fail to fire.
some were better than others but, they all have sinned.
i own and carry 2 different revolvers and ive never had a jam or miss fire from either one.
ive never been in a shooting / survival situation and hope i never am.
i mostly carry a .38 hamerless snuby with only a 5 shot cylinder. and sometimes i think thats not enough capacity.
but when i think about a jam in a life or death situation, it scares the hell out of me.
im a firm beleiver in murphy's law.
there is something about a gun that poops where it eats that bothers me. and im a stickler for simplicity. point gun, pull triger....boom.
i know how to clear a jam but, i dont want to.

Sounds like you have a lot of bad luck. I've only experienced that problem when I bought cheap ammo (Russian). Never bought it again and haven't had a problem since. The other thing that could be causing your problem (I don't know this for a fact, but have been told by an instructor) is that you might not be keeping your arms locked while shooting.

Get over What! Your objection to or preference to a particular type of handgun, who says you need to get over anything. Everyone has their own preferences regarding what they carry and each has come to that preference because of many different reasons. I don't know where or who gave you the idea that you should be questioning what you carry, but get over it and get back to your confident self and stop second guessing yourself. Tinkerbell alwasys wondered what color dust she should be carry too.

I used to be the exact same way. Carried a 637 because I like the "dependability" of a wheel gun. Then I bought a Glock 19, and my thought pattern changed drastically. I am MUCH more accurate with the Glock, and it's never failed to go bang. I trust it as much as the SW, and I'm more comfortable knowing my accuracy is better. Having a few extra rounds is just a bonus.

Bottom line - carry what you're comfortable with.

It sounds like you have angered the Autoloader Gods. Suggest you sacrifice 2 chickens and call me in the morning.

BAD LUCK -- That's not the word for it.
My experience is with Sig & Glock and they don't fail.
But I agree- a smiple S&W Revolver- 38/357 you can't go wrong. No matter how you treat it or what you feed it--it works.
My first handgun was S&W combat 19/357-6" barrel.
I still have it and if I was allowed only one handgun -- that would be it.

While nothing is inherently more dependable than a revolver, Glocks come pretty darn close. This is not intended to start the inevitable Glock vs everything else debate, as I own lots of different brands also. I have never (ever) had a malfunction with my G-21, 23, 26, or 27. Factory ammo (any) + proper grip + routine cleaning = reliability.

i own and carry 2 different revolvers and ive never had a jam or miss fire from either one.
ive never been in a shooting / survival situation and hope i never am.
i mostly carry a .38 hamerless snuby with only a 5 shot cylinder. and sometimes i think thats not enough capacity.

Why not double your capacity by carrying both of your revolvers?

Most of the FTF's and jams I have had have been ammo issues and not the firearm. I used some cheap foreign made ammo that my father-in-law gave me, one out of every three rounds failed to fire. I thought it was a problem with the gun and sent it back for repair. Fired again with same ammo, same problem. Switched to an american made ammo and have not had a FTF since.

ok folks, thanks for the feedback. actualy im thinking of just getting a holster for my second revolver, a .22 magnum tracker and wearing it open.
its a 9 holer and much more acurate than the snuby. and i hope i didnt sound like i was trashing anyones carry....carry on

I never worry about it. If I am in doubt and I feel like the situation may require it I carry one auto and one revolver for back up if these two firearms fail you always have the option to run lol

Why not double your capacity by carrying both of your revolvers?

Frequently, drawing a second gun is faster than reloading an empty one. This is sometimes referred to as a New York Reload.Also, failures to function are always possible, so BUG's are always a good idea.

I prefer semi-autos and carry one approx. 70% of the time compared to revolvers. I am former law enforcement and the majority of my duty weapons were semi-auto. I have fired many, many, many rounds through various semi-autos. I used only high quality ammo and have never experienced a failure to feed, fire, or eject.

Your post makes it sound like jamming is a regular event with you and semi's. If that is the case it is most likely the shooter and not the gun. Look for information about "limp wrist" shooting. No I don't mean that as a slight on any particular group of people. But as a case in point, when my wife shoots a 9mm semi she has about 1.5 jams per 10 rounds through the chamber. Using the same gun and same ammo I have no jams ever. We know it is the way she holds the pistol. You may need to explore different grips. A loose grip at the moment of firearm discharge will cause a fail to eject or a fail to feed...most commonly known as jamming.

I have purchased 4 semi auto's over the last 3 years and all but one had issues. I know how to shoot and was not limp wristing. The first was a Taurus pt145 (don't even go there). It was fail to feed 1 or 2 rounds every mag. sent it back and when they returned it it has never failed to work again. It actually is a favorite to shoot. I bought a S&W bodyguard 380 and it has been perfect since day one. Next was a Ruger SR9C. It had a fail to fire ( light strike ) about 1 per every mag on any type of ammo. Sent it back and they sent me a brand new one that has never failed again. Next I bought a SIgSauer P938. I expected a more expensive gun to work better but guess what. It failed to eject about three times in 4 mags. I was excited about this one and I didn't clean it before shooting it. After a good clean and lube it also works perfectly. Moral of the story is. Always clean and lube a new gun before shooting it and ALWAYS shoot plenty of rounds before trusting it for self preservation !!!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back