• Rifle - Remmy 770

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Rifle - Mossy 464

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rifle - Marlin 336

Votes: 2 3.1%

• Total voters

Danno

OK, so I know it's 6 months till Christmas, but I want some input. I always get a $400.00 Visa gift card for Christmas, and I am going to purchase a firearm with it, but am unsure which one I want to get.

* I am getting back into hunting, so would like a deer rifle.
* I would like to have a nice little pocket pistol
* I don't have a shotgun

Thanks for your input!

It kind of comes down to what you feel is your greatest need right now. I decided you should go with the shotgun but a close second would be the LCP for a BUG.

I went with what my next purchase will be... another shotgun! :)

46897.jpg

I'm considering a Mossberg 500 Bantam 20 (54132), or...

50145.jpg

... a Mossberg Tactical Persuader 20g, w/18.5" Breecher Barrel (50145).

I like the Mossberg 500 Persuader, but isn't the Maverick the same thing? I just can't get past the price tag on the Maverick 88 Security- $189 @ Academy!

it depends on what kind of deer hunting you are doing. If you are in the thick woods under 100 yrds go with the shotgun. If at all possible don't by a mossberg cause in my opinion they are kind of cheap. Save a little to go with your 400 and at least get a remington but of course benelli is my fav.

If you are not in the thick forrest go with a centerfire. I'm a huge remington 700 fan. I have 3 or 4 and love them.

Final answer,

Everybody needs a shotgun and since you don't have one i would buy a shotgun, just not a moss.

I agree with jw you need a shotgun, but I have the moss 500 and love it for what I do with it is a good gun.

+1 on the shotgun.

I always have prefered the Remington 870 over Mossbergs. But even a Mossberg is better than nothing. Anyone who values the safety of thier home should have a scattergun.

You should check out the 870 Home defense model. It comes with a 18.5" BBL and a mag tube extension. I put a heat shield and a top folding stock on mine, it looks frickin sweet!

BTW, 870's have dual action rails, mossbergs don't. I have seen feeding issues on a couple mossbergs, never had a problem with my 870, my room-mate's 870, or my brother's 870.

NO MAN should be without a shotty. Mossy 500 is nice; personal preference is the Rem 870. With various barrel and choke options, you got yourself an all-around hunting/sporting/SD weapon. But whatever brand/model you choos, you gotta get a shotty.

I don't think you could go wrong with a Mossberg 590. Although the Rem 870 is a fine gun there are some features of the 590 that I think make it a better choice. I got one for fathers day this year.

Rifle

I am an hunter and you NEED a rifle. Might want to add a savage to your list.
With $400 you could get a used rifle and a little keltec or a used mossberg.
Pick up a cheap Mosin and some S&B soft points and go huntin' for less than $150.

Cruise the used racks!!!:yu:

...benelli is my fav.

Of the three, yeah, were I headed out into diverse fields of combat, my choice would be the Benelli. The M4 is a great modular weapon, best suited (of these three options) for changing tactical environments. It is the most durable and reliable in all weather conditions of the three. And, the M4 Super 90 (M1014) is planned for issue to ALL US Military services replacing the 870, 590 and Winchester 1100/1200 tactical shotguns. But, MY personal interest in buying another shotgun is purely for fun; and, perhaps to have another home defense 20 around the house.

I have shot my share of rounds through the 870 and 590. These are all good weapons. But, the thing I don’t like about the 870 is the flap that covers the magazine/ejector gate. The 590 does not have the flap which makes for an easy/speedy load. But, some of my buds would argue the flap actually aided ejection of spent shells and made for a more reliable reload. idk! I don’t recall ever having any more or less major jamming issues firing any of them. I do remember the difference between reloading the magazine though!

Either way, both the 870 and 500 are good hunting shotguns with chokes that you can easily change out. It would likely come down to preference in the end. The 500 will be less expensive than the 870—but, I would suggest the difference in cost has more to do with the brand name than the quality of shotgun!

Have fun shopping for your Christmas present! :)

I was different and went with the Marlin XL7. of course everyone needs a shotgun. but in my opinion for a nice big to medium to even small game the XL7 is hard to beat. I got mine in .30-06 and you can pretty much get any bullet weight you want for that caliber. the trigger is one of the best I have felt on a rifle. good luck with your decision!

oh yeah I got mine for 299 on sale.. so you should have money left over to stock up on ammo too:)

I strongly recommend the Rem 870. Why?
1. Everyone should have one shotgun to start with.
2. Although Moss 500 is a good solid gun, the Rem can be easily converted from a HD shotgun by adding mag extensions, short barrel or a whole mirad of goodies. Mossbergs can not have a mag extension put on.
3. Nothing is quite as effective as a good 12 gauge for versatility, from quail to deer hunting.

I strongly recommend the Rem 870. Why?
1. Everyone should have one shotgun to start with.
2. Although Moss 500 is a good solid gun, the Rem can be easily converted from a HD shotgun by adding mag extensions, short barrel or a whole mirad of goodies. Mossbergs can not have a mag extension put on.
3. Nothing is quite as effective as a good 12 gauge for versatility, from quail to deer hunting.

My 590 A1 has a mag extensions, all steal trigger and safety, a heavy walled barrel, and a safety that is easier to reach with either hand. These are just a few features that I feel give an edge to the 590A1. IMHO. Either one would serve the purpose well for self defense.

My 590 A1 has a mag extensions, all steal trigger and safety, a heavy walled barrel, and a safety that is easier to reach with either hand. These are just a few features that I feel give an edge to the 590A1. IMHO. Either one would serve the purpose well for self defense.

Agreed the 590 is an excellent gun for self defense, I particularly like the safety set up. Don't quite know what a "heavy walled barrel" is.

I suggested the 870 primarily because it can serve not only self defense but as an excellent field gun, with a Remchoke barrel addition.

I would love to hear about some of you Maverick owners. Maverick is made by Mossberg, and accepts the same parts/accessories as the Mossberg 500 series - and I can get it brand new for $189 at Academy right now... I'm thinking I need to just go ahead had get it now, and use my X-Mass bonus on the deer rifle :)

Don't buy junk just 'cause it's cheap. The Maverick is a low-value, entry-leval gun with cheap components to keep the price down. Fine if all you care about is shooting birds; but bet your life on it? Don't think so.

For just a couple hundred dollars more you can have a truly outstanding shotty with a long history of being ultra-reliable and with ultimate flexibility in terms of barrel and choke choices for virtually any task that a shotgun could be used for--the Rem 870.

The Moss 500 is a close second.

But don't sell yourself cheap.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back