Help me Decide

DLeeHarley

I'm looking for my carry weapon and I've narrowed it down to a precious few. LOL Now I want your opinion on just the gun and NOT the price as I want to know what you think of the guns.
1) Sig Sauer P226 .40
2) Sig Sauer P229 .40
3) S&W M&P Compact .40
If you have a better suggestion, here's what I prefer: Large Caliber, somewhat concealable (I'm 6'4" 280 Lbs. so I can hide a large weapon) and a somewhat large mag. capacity. It will be used for CC and home defense. Thanks for your help and suggestions.
PS: I'm in Love with 1911's and Kimber's in particular.

I like the M&P series. I carry a full size M&P45. The only real criticism I've heard (but not verified myself) is that the M&P is allegedly subject to early wear-and-tear if shot frequently, like in IDPA matches etc. But with that said...All S&W guns do have a lifetime warranty. I like the interchangeable backstrap/palmswell too, because I have small hands. If you have big hands, you might like that as well.

I'm looking for my carry weapon and I've narrowed it down to a precious few. LOL Now I want your opinion on just the gun and NOT the price as I want to know what you think of the guns.
1) Sig Sauer P226 .40
2) Sig Sauer P229 .40
3) S&W M&P Compact .40
If you have a better suggestion, here's what I prefer: Large Caliber, somewhat concealable (I'm 6'4" 280 Lbs. so I can hide a large weapon) and a somewhat large mag. capacity. It will be used for CC and home defense. Thanks for your help and suggestions.

I have Sig P226 in .40 and love it...that being said...it is a full size pistol and is not all that concealable...although I do carry it in colder weather when it gets warmer I switch over to my Glock 23 which is a compact model in .40 caliber. With my Comp-Tac MTAC IWB holster the Glock practically disappears. The stock capacity of the Glock is 13 rounds although it can use the Glock 22 magazines that bring the capacity up to 15 rounds which is the same as the Sig P226. At self-defense distances they are pretty much the same accuracy-wise...it's clearly a personal choice...I carry and trust both the Sig and my Glock...

If you are really into the 1911 platform there are a lot of choices out there in compact 1911's that would also conceal quite well...Kimber does make some quite small (and decent) 1911's...if you want to move up a level in price and quality Ed Brown and Wilson Combat also make some fine (but pricy) compact 1911's.

There...you have my 10 cents worth...

Springfield Armory 1911A1, .45 MIL-SPEC. It's worked wonders since 1911. Although you put a caviot on price. Why spend more for the name when you can have the same quality and lower price. As for CC being of large girth, I CC/OC mine with no issues. If you're gonna throw lead, throw the biggest chunks you can. "Stay alive with a 45" of course Cock & Locked.

Like mwbackus said above, I carry the Glock 23 (.40 cal). It conceals nicely and is 13 +1. Best advice...buy what you shoot best - accuracy counts!

sig

I bought the sig p250 2 sum kit from an online dealer, and couldn't be happier with it. I use the full size for range shooting, and the subcompact for cc. I'm contemplating buying a compact kit, as I'm 6'5" and 240, and the sub feels a bit to dainty in my hand.

Again, couldn't be happier with the versatility, and how well I shoot it. (Agreed. Accuracy counts!)

Hey Dleeharley
you have picked some great weapons to carry, if you like the 45acp round, springfield is coming
out this month with a single stack 45 cal, XDS, it is a smaller weapon, but you should be able
to pack this with no problems.. also I have just started using a conceal holster from "pistol wear",
there website gives all the info you need...its a great holster and conceals very well..
I have had a ccw since 1988, and have used several different pistols and holsters,
and it all has come down to the fact if it is uncomfortable you will not carry your gun...
Good luck with your choice, I hope I helped a little, to me the best gun to carry is the one
that you WILL carry...
k

I began carrying with a Taurus Millenium Pro in .45 ACP. It is a good gun but I wanted to switch to a 1911 style. I then began carrying a Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II. Love it.

I have the 229 in 40 with laser max grips. Have owned it for about 15 years and to date it has had one fail to eject. This was due to reloads and the edge of the case was crushed a bit causing the failure. Awsome weapon but for everyday carry it is still "big". Daily carry for me right now is the walther pps40. Nice gun, not as nice as the sig but hasnt failed yet. Easy to conceal. I also carry a S&W bodyguard in 380. For the really lazy days. Nice when we go bike riding. Super pocket gun. You cant go wrong with any sig though. Good luck

I have little experience with the 40 S&W. I had a Browning HP in that chambering and just did not like it. The gun worked fine, and I love the Hi-Power; but, at least in my mind, the Hi-Power is best as a 9mm. I have a Kimber (Target) in 40 S&W and it is a great gun, but again, I find other calibers more to my taste in the full size 1911.

I do have a Sig 226 in 9mm and really like the gun. I think, if I were to warm to a 40 S&W (or .357 Sig) this would be the gun I'd want. My personal carry gun is a Kimber CDP Compact (4 inch barrel, shorten grip) in .45 ACP. Another personal favorite that gets some belt time is a Colt LTW Commander in .38 Super - another favored caliber.

As you can see I favor single action semi-autos and if you would consider such, I've used - and would recommend any of the following.

Full size 1911 - light weight - Kimber CDP in .45 ACP
Full size 1911 - all steel - Colt 10mm (or Kimber or Dan Wesson, et alia)
Full size Browning HP - 9mm

I've already mentioned my preferences for the Compact size and the Commander size.

Good hunting. Basically all your choices look reasonable - I'd go with whichever one floats your cork, and as time and money permit get one each of the others :wink:

I have a M&P .40 full size and love it, i carry on my person a XD-subcompact .40, might want to look into one as well, comes with a 9 rnd and a 12 round full size mag and im very happy with it as well.

good luck.

I've carried the 229 in .40 with Hogue grips on it for years now, it is a little big but a with good IWB holster its not that bad. It's a probably the most reliable weapon I have next to my Glock. Which lately I've been carrying more due to it getting warmer.

Interesting note is the Glock (I have a 19 but it is also the same frame as the 23 which is the .40 model) and Sig 229 are roughly the same size the; difference lies in the weight. If you can handle a heavy gun then by all means go with the SIG. You will not be disappointed with a Glock either.

Best advice, as you will get on any of the threads here is to try before you buy. You may like the DA/SA of the SIG better than the striker fire style of the Glock or the M&P. You may not. I alternate depending on mood so could take that advice too and buy all 3 :)... Good luck...

Carry Weapon

1) Sig Sauer P226 .40
2) Sig Sauer P229 .40
3) S&W M&P Compact .40

Hi,
I'm new to this site and just wanted to try to figure out how it works. The ones you mentioned are great however i just wanted to throw what I carry at you well not literally lol. I carry a Ruger sr40c that I really like, it has proven very reliable and the size is great. Mine came with a 9 round mag for carry that conceals very nicely and also a 15 rounder with grip extension for home protection. I actually chose it over the m&p which was the two in the running for me. I picked it up at a local show if I'm not mistaken for 430 bucks with taxes and fees. By the way the recoil is very light for a .40 it is comparable to my xd 9mm

Last edited:
I am a big guy myself (6'4 300LBS) and carry the P229 in 9mm with Hogue grips no problem. I am a SIG shooter so I might be biased but you can't go wrong with a SIG. Let us know what you decide.

-Capo

Carry the largest caliber you can shoot successfully, find a firearm which you like in that caliber. BTW Immigration Customs Enforcement issues the Sig 226 (.40 S & W) as theiir primary duty carry weaopn.

I'm by no means an expert on firearms having only just purchased my first ever (Sig P250c 9mm) back in January of this year and only having gotten my CHP (concealed handgun permit) here in VA a couple days ago. I will say I'm really happy with my Sig and that with roughly 350 rounds through it the only problem I've had was 3 fail-to-fires from the same box of cheap-arse Russian made ammo. A 2nd box of the same brand produced zero f-t-f incidents and every other load has functioned flawlessly. But there might be one non-technical issue you would want to consider. It seems during the Clinton years S&W voluntarily enacted some restrictions on their dealers that were part of a gun-control law that didn't get passed. From what I've been able to gather those policies are still in place. The Virginia Citizens' Defense League has a few paragraphs about the issue and some links on their website. Link Removed
It may or may not be a deal breaker for you, but I figured I would pass on the information. It was one of the reasons I personally went with Sig.

Can;t go wrong with a Sig.I own a P-220 (.45),and a P-226.Thousands of rounds fired and only one malfunction with the 226,that was the extractor malfunctioning.It was fixed in a jiffy.My favorite though is my Kimber Super Carry Custom .45.Although it's rather large(1911 full size)The right holster,and right clothing will certainly make the difference.Hope this helps.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back