Help me build a Custom BBQ Gun

LongRider

I am starting my search for my first custom BBQ gun. So I am looking for a .45 auto, though Gun Crafters .50 handgun is in the running
I am looking for
A) Recommendations for a gun to start with
B) A pistol smith to to build the gun
C) An engraver to do some custom engraving
D) One off custom grip suggestions
E) A holster maker that does original custom holster designs
F) Any add ons or must haves you can think off
along with any thoughts or suggestions you may have. Obviously I want a gun that is 100% reliable dead on accurate gun ie one that works. That is a real eye popping one off beauty, one that makes your heart go pitter patter. Simple elegant classy not some gaudy gold and jeweled pimp gun. Last please lets skip the I do not need a high end custom gun for SD or it is a waste of money. I know all that I do not need it stuff. I have made the decision it is time for my once in a lifetime dream gun. Thanks, now lets have some fun with this

Last edited:
Start with the .50GI Model 2, these Link Removedhave some nice grips and may do some of that engraving you want (and they have some nice cases, too.)

Les Baer Custom

They can build the custom piece you want and it will be a true thing of beauty. Put some nice Ivory (that's right Ivor... it will have to carved from an existing piece but boy will it be worth it) on the grips and we'll be getting closer to heaven. Have a premium highly polished ultra deep hot blue and some really nice gold or platinum work for the hammer, safety, mag release, end of the recoil spring guide rod, and trigger. Have the lettering custom engraved with your wife's name and done in a fancy gold filigree and you'll be home free. Have the sights drilled and inlaid with ivory or pearl dots to finish it off!

Just my two cents.

I believe you should start with a genuine Colts--a PAIR of matched Gov't models (I'd try for consecutively serialed 1911 WWI repro) since it's carried openly. The rest depends upon just how gaudy you like balanced against how much you're willing to pay. Please let us see the results when you're done because this is a project I've been considering for some time!

gungrill.jpg

Like this ??

THAT is a disgusting waste of a firearm. If it must exist, keep it in a display case somewhere.
To the OP, if this is really what you were looking to do, please start with a POS pistol, don't mess up a functional tool. This is the carry gun of someone needing an ego boost.

Please tell these guys your opinion:
Link Removed
Link Removed
THAT is a disgusting waste of a firearm. If it must exist, keep it in a display case somewhere.
To the OP, if this is really what you were looking to do, please start with a POS pistol, don't mess up a functional tool. This is the carry gun of someone needing an ego boost.

Last edited:
Please tell these guys your opinion:
Link Removed
Link Removed

Why? Do they need their egos boosted? Do they carry guns with more spent on decoration than function? I doubt it.
Engraving or otherwise decorating a gun to personalize it is one thing. The kind of embellishing you pictured turns the gun into artwork. If it commemorates someone, or an event, it should be on display. If it's embellished this far just for decoration, it's tacky and should be hidden. :biggrin:

I gotta say, Long Rider. That avatar is beautiful. I can't tell if it's a mushroomed hollow point or some kind of exotic flower. :eek:fftopic:

There seems to be some confusion:
bbq gun
The type of aesthetically pleasing or impressive-looking firearm that you might show off at a BBQ or on other social occasions, but may be less than useful.

To clear up any confusion. This is a carry gun not a safe queen or display gun. Any gun I carry must be reliable and accurate 100% of the time. As far as appearance. Yes I want one that is hot looking one that gun people will apprechate I am thinking I want a case hardened finish with some accent engraving along the lines of Von Dutch pin striping with some nice Mastodon grips. Maybe a Nickel Black slide. The Case Hardened Finish with Mastodon grips will give the gun a kind of ancient antique mad max look. Nickel Black will make a bit more modern looking. That is pretty much it for cosmetics. What I am really looking for is what the best 1911 parts are, the best barrel, extractor, hammer, trigger etc and a smith that can put it all together for best performance I can afford. Than an excellent engraver and some one who can give me a top quality finish. Yes, I want an awesome one of a kind appearing gun, but not loud or gaudy. A Sophia Loren not Maddona. BUT the number one priority is performance. I want a gun that Jeff Cooper would be proud own or happy to have when his life is on the line shoot. Hope that helps with what I need as I am looking forward your all advice and opinions.

Wolfhunter I get the impression that NDS is saying that is a Texas Rangers gun, as you said they do not need an ego boost. They are entitled to whatever gun suits them, IMO. That one gun is not my style but I sure can respect the owner wearing it. Each to his own. That said if you can help me with the topic and have any suggestion for the gun I am building that would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:
To clear up any confusion. This is a carry gun not a safe queen or display gun. Any gun I carry must be reliable and accurate 100% of the time. As far as appearance. Yes I want one that is hot looking one that gun people will apprechate I am thinking I want a case hardened finish with some accent engraving along the lines of Von Dutch pin striping with some nice Mastodon grips. Maybe a Nickel Black slide. The Case Hardened Finish with Mastodon grips will give the gun a kind of ancient antique mad max look. Nickel Black will make a bit more modern looking. That is pretty much it for cosmetics. What I am really looking for is what the best 1911 parts are, the best barrel, extractor, hammer, trigger etc and a smith that can put it all together for best performance I can afford. Than an excellent engraver and some one who can give me a top quality finish. Yes, I want an awesome one of a kind appearing gun, but not loud or gaudy. A Sophia Loren not Maddona. BUT the number one priority is performance. I want a gun that Jeff Cooper would be proud own or happy to have when his life is on the line shoot. Hope that helps with what I need as I am looking forward your all advice and opinions.

Wolfhunter I get the impression that NDS is saying that is a Texas Rangers gun, as you said they do not need an ego boost. They are entitled to whatever gun suits them, IMO. That one gun is not my style but I sure can respect the owner wearing it. Each to his own. That said if you can help me with the topic and have any suggestion for the gun I am building that would be greatly appreciated

That's what I thought. And, whoever currently owns that Pancho Villa .45 probably has it on display, never carried. Give yours a personal touch so it doesn't look like every other 1911, but pour the real money into accuracy and reliability.

Why? Do they need their egos boosted?
I don't know, I've never met one that I know of; I have been told they have a reputation of swollen egos.
Do they carry guns with more spent on decoration than function? I doubt it.
Must be nice to go through life knowing it all. The Texas Rangers are, according to what I've read and been told, the original makers and carriers of gaudy show-off firearms they call 'bbq guns.'
Engraving or otherwise decorating a gun to personalize it is one thing. The kind of embellishing you pictured turns the gun into artwork. If it commemorates someone, or an event, it should be on display. If it's embellished this far just for decoration, it's tacky and should be hidden. :biggrin:
Got it! It's all a matter of taste as long as it agrees with your aesthetic values. Could you post your cell number so we can all call you to make sure no one will offend your sensibility by buying something you'd consider improper.

:to_pick_ones_nose:

Fourteen posts four on topic. How about starting another thread "Pissing match over whether or not BBQ Guns suck" Than maybe I can get some of the assist I was asking for. I am sure there are many members here with a wealth of knowledge about 1911 and who makes what part the best. That know which smiths, engravers grip makers and finishers do good quality work. I would really appreciate some intelligent input from those folks that know and appreciate a good BBQ / Court gun is.

Last edited:
There seems to be some confusion:
bbq gun
The type of aesthetically pleasing or impressive-looking firearm that you might show off at a BBQ or on other social occasions, but may be less than useful.
Urban Dictionary: bbq gun
For examples here's a thread:
BBQ Guns - TheFiringLine Forums
I wouldn't show off anything unless it was during an open carry function. Even then I'd keep it in the holster. Start playing around with it outside of the holster and you're asking for a ND.

Fourteen posts four on topic. How about starting another thread "Pissing match over whether or not BBQ Guns suck" Than maybe I can get some of the assist I was asking for. I am sure there are many members here with a wealth of knowledge about 1911 and who makes what part the best. That know which smiths, engravers grip makers and finishers do good quality work. I would really appreciate some intelligent input from those folks that know and appreciate a good BBQ / Court gun is.

LongRider, my apologies. Didn't mean to hijack the thread.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back