Hello everyone, I'm NEW! Can you please comment on my "statement of need" for RI CCW

Is this an acceptable "statement of need" for a CCW permit?

• Yes - It needs no changes

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • No - You need to make changes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It needs to be completely rewritten.

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

n2o

Hello everyone, I'm NEW! Can you please comment on my "statement of need" for RI CCW

Just wanted to say hi. I am a new member and have my CCW packet all ready, hopefully submitting it later this week to my local Chief. I live in RI so WISH ME LUCK!!

Would anyone here be willing to read through my "statement of need"...personal names and town names have been changed to protect their reputations.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Chief Elmer,

I am writing to request that you consider my application to carry a concealed handgun in the state of Rhode Island. I understand that your responsibility of properly issuing this permit is almost as great as my responsibility of properly utilizing it. I hope this letter suitably conveys my need for such a privilege, as well as my understanding of the ethical responsibilities governing its use.

I am an avid photographer and owner of the locally based RiverRun Photography and the website www.RiverRunPhoto.com. I specialize in local landscape photography and have been published in several national print magazines. Although I greatly enjoy working with photography for my small business, I am primarily employed as a full-time engineer at big steel worker company in Gunsberg. I am also a shooting enthusiast and an active member of the Gunsberg Super Gun Club, the RI Small River Range, The Halfway State Gun Range, the National Rifle Association, and the Citizens Rights Action League of RI. I shoot competitively in the Gunsberg Trap League and spend several days a week at the range to remain proficient in the use of my firearms.

I am requesting a permit to carry a concealed handgun because my extensive photographic equipment makes me a significant target for the criminal element. During both photographic shoots and casual outings I frequently carry a large amount of camera-related equipment worth thousands of dollars. I often conduct photographic shoots late at night and in remote areas where there is little law enforcement support. My greatest fear is that without any realistic means of self-protection, I may be killed or injured in order for a criminal to take my equipment. I am primarily concerned with the possibility of being maimed or killed in such an incident, not about the loss of my equipment. I believe that I have a right and responsibility to protect myself from personal attack, and for these reasons respectfully request that I be granted a permit to carry a concealed weapon.

I want to thank you for carefully considering my application and for also for faithfully serving the town of Gunsberg.

Sincerely,

n20

-------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you think...I'll be sending it off next week so any comments will be appreciated!

I think this should have been placed in the Rhode Island state specific forum as RI posters might be better to vote on it.

But that said, me sitting in Indiana, I think it clearly demonstrates a need. However, I also think that anyone should be approved a permit/license to carry as Indiana is a Shall Issue State.

So you have to write a letter to chief Elmer Fudd to ask his permission to carry a gun for your own protection ???. That's sad to say the least, that its up to some one else to decide if you have the right to protect your self.

My opinion is that it sounds like a subject of the land groveling to his/her master asking for the privilege to exercise what should be a right.

It sickens me how our states have gotten so a$$ backward that this type of letter writing even needs to exist.

Since, the answer choice, "it sickens me" is not offered, I have refrained from participating in your poll.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but it is honestly how I feel when I see usurpation of this sort by our government officials.

Aside from that, welcome to the forums, and I hope that you benefit well during your stay here.

Last edited:
Move. Wolf_Fire's analogy (master/slave) was right-on. Let me be perfectly frank; having to ask permission of bimbob chiefs to carry IS usurpation of our rights. This thinking has no place in our society, but it seems right at home with our entire criminal administration's directives. It is both arbitrary and punitive action. I'm sorry you live in an oppressive environment.

The Arkansas State Police manages our CHCL process, and there is no crawling on our bellies, or groveling to acquire our permits, but we still have to pay big bucks for a constitutionally guaranteed right, and that is just wrong. Perhaps you COULD call it arbitrary and punitive here, as many cannot afford the funds needed to procure a CC permit, but there is presently proposed legislation to reduce the amount needed to become, "permitted".

Good luck with your application! Let us know how it goes.

So let me get this straight, you have to show due cause WHY you have the need to carry from the Kings sheriff? And this is in RI. Errr, one of the original thirteen colonies? Especially with a town/city call Providence. Sounds like the Brit's never left your fair Kingdom. Move and ride the horse shouting "The Liberals have come, the Liberals have come"

Depending upon what “Chief Elmer’s” record on issue actually is, I’d say your “need” statement is, at best, weak – but please come back and show the forum what you submitted and how it went.
While you’re waiting for the permit to be processed, you should practice, practice, practice, practice. Practice heaping all your photographic equipment into your car quickly. Practice convincing random drug-addled strangers that (even though you both drive AND are a photographer) you really can’t see well enough to describe them to cops, so there’s really no reason to hurt you after they steal your gear and carjack you. Practice handing over “your” house keys attached to your car keys (bonus if the car has On Star or other tracking device), with the cute little “return to this address if found” tag on them (just make sure it is Chief Elmer’s address). Practice mentioning that your spouse routinely leaves cash and drugs scattered all over the house when you hand over your fancy cell phone that has the “I-can-be-found-right-here” app on it. Practice (LASTLY, if you can manage to recover from your fit of laughter) pulling your backup cell phone from it’s hiding place, calling 911 asking them to please initiate a trace on your car, your phone and could they please give Chief Elmer a call telling him to expect visitors to his home any time now.
Seriously, welcome to the forum.

Tell your chief the 2nd amendment is not on a freaking need to have bases....it's on a MY####ING RIGHT bases....

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

Your letter is not bad, it just annoys me to see the ass kissing needed to get a permit, you appear to have the need, so unless Elmer is a total **** you should get it

As much as I despise the fact that you have to write this... It is well written.

I would replace "privilege" with "right," however. You're not asking for a special favor, you're asking to exercise your right to self-protection.

Not being from your state, I can't comment much, but if there were any specific incidents or bad locations where you should have been armed (besides the obvious "everywhere you go!"), that might help.

My opinion is that it sounds like a subject of the land groveling to his/her master asking for the privilege to exercise what should be a right.

It sickens me how our states have gotten so a$$ backward that this type of letter writing even needs to exist.

Since, the answer choice, "it sickens me" is not offered, I have refrained from participating in your poll.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but it is honestly how I feel when I see usurpation of this sort by our government officials.

Aside from that, welcome to the forums, and I hope that you benefit well during your stay here.

Exactly! It's not a free KN job resume. Posterior kissing has no place if you really feel you have a need to carry.
Lose the first two paragraphs and tighten up or rewrite the third.
JEEEZ You don't have to explain you are not worried about losing your equipment! Just point out that it makes you a target! Which it does. There would be an assumption that if you carry and defend yourself lawfully that you were in fear of great bodily harm or death. I don't think you have to tell the Sheriff that you promise not to shoot someone because you don't want to give up your equipment. It's all about personal protection and the equipment makes you a target and puts you at risk. In reference about where and when you do your photography...... situational awareness is the key. If it is dangerous there you and the Sheriff might think that that location might be avoidable.
Of course you might hand deliver your app in your best low cut dress. Yep that Kiss A app isn't going to help.

Thank you all (well, most of you) for the help. I have the president of my gun club looking the letter over now. And I know this forum is offended by my ass-kissing, but it is needed in my situation. Our state law even calls CCW a "privilege" and not a "right". I have known multiple people to get denied with similarly written letters (minus the business owner part). I'm hoping I've got just enough groveling to get the permit issued. And in RI strangely I could move a mile down the street into another town and that chief would tell me "get lost". It's a horrible state for our constitution. I'll be moving soon and have to "vet" each town's chief to ensure my rights will be upheld there. In RI only about 10% of the town chief's will even consider an application for CCW without a lawsuit.

Thank you all (well, most of you) for the help. I have the president of my gun club looking the letter over now. And I know this forum is offended by my ass-kissing, but it is needed in my situation. Our state law even calls CCW a "privilege" and not a "right". I have known multiple people to get denied with similarly written letters (minus the business owner part). I'm hoping I've got just enough groveling to get the permit issued. And in RI strangely I could move a mile down the street into another town and that chief would tell me "get lost". It's a horrible state for our constitution. I'll be moving soon and have to "vet" each town's chief to ensure my rights will be upheld there. In RI only about 10% of the town chief's will even consider an application for CCW without a lawsuit.

Look at the bright side, RI is so small, you wouldn't have to move far to get out of it.

Might have been easier on you if you put it this way originally but what seemed to be groveling really got to me. Definitely leave in the business aspect and the need to be certain places and what makes you more of a target then the average person (your equipment which you can't hide)
OK forget the low cut dress. Maybe a Birthday cake!:biggrin: After my first application for a MA. non resident unrestricted permit I wrote a carefully detailed, honest narrative. That's what was needed the next year. Just the facts and all is well. Good luck.

Look at the bright side, RI is so small, you wouldn't have to move far to get out of it.

Unfortunately, RI is surrounded by Massachusetts and Connecticut so "getting out" isn't exactly a step up. If n20 would go further east, he'd run into NY and NJ. Arrghhh!!! However, if he goes north and west, he would find the state of VT after going through MA and then finally be able to exercise his rights.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back