Heckler & Koch P2000 Subcompact

Billbert

I am looking to purchase a handgun for concealed carry. The Heckler & Koch P2000 subcompact 40 ca has caught my attention as well as the Springfield 1911 A1 compact. Both look to be excellent guns to carry concealed and both manufactures have good reputations. Does anyone have any knowledge of these guns. I would appreciate your comments.

I carry a P2000 SK LEM in 9mm. I have a number of automatics and I can tell you with out a doubt it is my favorite.

My main carry is a HK P2000sk in .40. It is extremely accurate and the special recoil spring configuration really tames the snappy recoil of the .40. I was and still am ahuge Sig fan however the P2000sk has become my main carry gun. In a T&T Gunleather IWB (VMII Clone) it sits low and has a great cant.

When not carrying the P2000sk it is usually a P2000 or HK45. On rare occasions a Kimber SIS. I have a LEM on the P2000 but prefer the DA/SA on the others.

I am looking to purchase a handgun for concealed carry. The Heckler & Koch P2000 subcompact 40 ca has caught my attention as well as the Springfield 1911 A1 compact. Both look to be excellent guns to carry concealed and both manufactures have good reputations. Does anyone have any knowledge of these guns. I would appreciate your comments.

Have you made a decision on the HK or A1 yet? I am both a HK (USP40) and Springfield (Ultra Compact Loaded .45) owner. Let us know.

Tim - I am leaning in the direction of the H&K P2000. I can get it for about $800. The Springfield 1911 A1 subcompact is a beautiful gun but I can't spend that much.

Hk p2000

Billbert,
Have you thought about the P2000SK? I'm looking for feedback on this particular HK. I posted elsewhere on the forum, but have not had any feedback. I think the size is right for CC. I'm wondering about the unusual decocker on the back of the receiver. Being a lefty, not sure if this would be easy to operate. Have not had the chance to hold one yet. Also kind of pricey.

The Ultra Compact Springfield also cost me a lot of money, and I have to admit to all of you out there that the Springfield has been nowhere near as reliable as the HK USP.

Billbert,
Have you thought about the P2000SK? I'm looking for feedback on this particular HK. I posted elsewhere on the forum, but have not had any feedback. I think the size is right for CC. I'm wondering about the unusual decocker on the back of the receiver. Being a lefty, not sure if this would be easy to operate. Have not had the chance to hold one yet. Also kind of pricey.

The Ultra Compact Springfield also cost me a lot of money, and I have to admit to all of you out there that the Springfield has been nowhere near as reliable as the HK USP.

See my above post.

Hello Timusp40 - One of my reasons for considering the P2000 subcompact is that I would like to have a reliable gun that I can conceal easily. I went to Gander Mountain yesterday to look at the P2000 SK but they didn't have any H&K guns. I was curious about the de-cocker and how it might hinder a left hander. I'm right handed so hadn't given it a thought until you mentioned it. As for the Springfield 1911-A1, that would be too expensive for me. But it sure is a nice looking gun. The H&K P2000 is as high a price as I can go. The comments I have read from people like you are very encouraging for me and helpful in making the decision to purchase the P2000. Thank you.

Bill

I have an HK P2000sk and love it. The decocker is very stiff to use and sounds like a dry fire but works fine. It does not work well by just pushing with your shooting hand I have to bring my weak hand over to push it. It is very accurate and the special recoil spring tames the .40. Since the P2000sk I have purchased 2 more HKs. I do not like the LEM trigger. Another plus for the decocker location is that in such a small gun you do not have to worry about your thumb hitting a decocker when shooting thumbs forward.

I have an HK P2000sk and love it. The decocker is very stiff to use and sounds like a dry fire but works fine. It does not work well by just pushing with your shooting hand I have to bring my weak hand over to push it. It is very accurate and the special recoil spring tames the .40. Since the P2000sk I have purchased 2 more HKs. I do not like the LEM trigger. Another plus for the decocker location is that in such a small gun you do not have to worry about your thumb hitting a decocker when shooting thumbs forward.

You know I used to think I would not like it but after shooting mine a lot I like it better than the Dbl action/single action style that I had been used to carrying. Also for a price you can send it back to the factory and have them lighten the pull even more. anyway after using it a while and also using a Glock I am sold. I now do not like carrying anything that has any kind of decocking lever/external safety. The less to think about the better I like it. IMHO>

My every day carry gun is an HK P2000 with the LEM trigger in .40. I previously had the SK in 9mm and it's a great gun too. The bigger P2000 isn't that much harder to conceal than the SK. I've gone through several guns trying to find the right balance of power, weight and concealability. I have tried Sig 229 and 239, Glock 23 and 19, Kimber Ultra Carry. I fell in love with the HK the first time I tried it.

HK

I also have to give a thumbs up for the HK. I don't have the P2000, but I have the P30. It's very nice. I have had to get used to the DA / SA trigger, but I didn't find it all too hard.

I once owned the H&K P2000 LEM. If it had not been for the LEM trigger having an extremely long pre-travel I would have kept the gun, but I traded it for another pistol.

I didn't like the LEM trigger one bit. If your new to handguns, or a novice of sorts, then the worst thing you can do is attempt to use a trigger system that requires thousands of rounds to acquire the proper release of the trigger to it's reset point with nothing more than muscle memory.

I didn't have the time, nor the money to train up and dial in with that trigger.

Nice gun, had I purchased the DA/SA with the decocker I would still own it.

YMMV

I once owned the H&K P2000 LEM. If it had not been for the LEM trigger having an extremely long pre-travel I would have kept the gun, but I traded it for another pistol.

I didn't like the LEM trigger one bit. If your new to handguns, or a novice of sorts, then the worst thing you can do is attempt to use a trigger system that requires thousands of rounds to acquire the proper release of the trigger to it's reset point with nothing more than muscle memory.

I didn't have the time, nor the money to train up and dial in with that trigger.

Nice gun, had I purchased the DA/SA with the decocker I would still own it.

YMMV

I own the LEM trigger and I disagree that starting with the LEM is the worst thing you can do if you're a novice. IMO, it's just the opposite. If you've learned on a DA/SA platform it's probably going to take you longer to adjust to this type of trigger as opposed to picking it up for the first time.

It only took me a couple magazines to feel comfortable with the LEM trigger and now I prefer it.

I think if you are starting out the LEM is easy to learn. I like the DA/SA better but admit it is probably from years of shooting Sigs. I still say that the P2000 and P2000sk are 2 of the best handguns to carry concealed.

In a small aside last night on Best Defense they did some penitration examples. The .45ACP fans would not have been happy. I am very happy and confident with my HKs in .40S&W.

I own the LEM trigger and I disagree that starting with the LEM is the worst thing you can do if you're a novice. IMO, it's just the opposite. If you've learned on a DA/SA platform it's probably going to take you longer to adjust to this type of trigger as opposed to picking it up for the first time.

I suppose it's either or ? I've spent a lifetime shooting single action (1911) and DA/SA so when I hit the LEM it was simply not to my liking. If your first gun is an LEM type trigger system, then your going to suffer if your given/issued an DA/SA or single action trigger. Point being that the dial up time can swing both way's.

Again you mileage may vary, but I simply didn't like the concept. It's easier said than done to train an individual to only allow the trigger to the reset point, especially the novice is going to alway's alow the trigger to release until he or she feels the stop point.

It's just not my cup of tea.

Besides, isn't H&K the "Tommy Hilfiger of handguns?" :biggrin:

I went to the H&K web site and their comment was that the LEM system allows for a "constant level of trigger pull and short trigger travel from first to last round fired". That sounds like a good thing to me. But then I know little about handguns.

Currently the only two pistols I own are a Ruger Security-six, 357 cal with a six inch barrel and a Ruger Single-six 22 cal mag. with a nine inch barrel. I purchased both of these pistols in the 1970's. I use the 22 for rabbit hunting. The 357 is for scrutiny in my home. I have looked at many semi-auto pistols for concealed carry and from all of what I have read the H&K P2000 SK seems to be the best buy for me. What I have read in the reviews the P2000 SK is a well made, reliable gun that is easily concealed.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back