Hawaii Revised Statutes

doublenutz

Link Removed

Link RemovedLink RemovedLink RemovedArticle I, § 17 of the Hawaii Constitution states: "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
In State v. Mendoza, 920 P.2d 357 (Haw. 1996), the Supreme Court of Hawaii rejected an art. I, § 17 challenge to Hawaii Revised Statutes Annotated § 134-4(b) which (along with 134-2) requires a person to obtain a permit before acquiring any firearm. The court found that the state’s police power allows it to regulate the right to "bear arms" in a reasonable manner, and that the permitting requirement was "rationally related to the legitimate government interest of ensuring that only those who are mature, law abiding, competent citizens possess firearms." Mendoza, 920 P.2d at 368.

State Firearms Policies

Open Carrying/Exposed Firearms
Hawaii Revised Statutes Annotated § 134-9 provides that no person shall carry a concealed or unconcealed handgun on his or her person without being licensed to do so per section 134-9, or in compliance with Section 134-5(c) (licensing of hunters) or 134-E (possession restrictions for pistol or revolver).
Firearms and ammunition generally must be confined to the possessor’s place of business, residence or sojourn, but the possessor may carry unloaded firearms or ammunition in an enclosed container from the place of purchase to the person’s place of business, residence or sojourn, or between these places upon change of place of business, residence, or sojourn, or between these places and a:
  • Place of repair;
  • Target range;
  • Licensed dealer’s place of business;
  • Organized, scheduled firearms show or exhibit;
  • Place of formal hunter or firearm use training or instruction; or
  • Police station.
Sections 134-D(a), 134-E(a), 134-G(a).
Hawaii prohibits any person from carrying or possessing a loaded firearm on any public highway. Section 134-F. This prohibition does not apply to any person who has in his or her possession a handgun while licensed per Section 134-9. Section 134-F.
Any person age 16 or older (or anyone under age 16 if accompanied by an adult) may carry and use any lawfully acquired rifle or shotgun and suitable ammunition while actually engaged in hunting or target shooting, or while going to and from the place of hunting or target shooting, provided that the person has a hunting license. Section 134-5(a).
A person may carry unconcealed and use a lawfully acquired handgun while actually engaged in hunting game mammals, if the handgun is approved and the person is licensed. The handgun may be carried to or from the hunt in an enclosed container, as defined in section 134-E.

I get hassles with this several times each year while hunting the Kuliouou area. Lots of anti-gunners call HPD to report "a man with a gun". They forget to mention the blaze orange vest, orange hat and the fact that I'm heading into the pig hunting area. Most times the responding officer sees what's going on and tells the callers that it's "o.k." and "legal". A couple of times there were rookies who actually put me on the ground and cuffed me while figuring out what to do.

Very scary!

I get hassles with this several times each year while hunting the Kuliouou area. Lots of anti-gunners call HPD to report "a man with a gun". They forget to mention the blaze orange vest, orange hat and the fact that I'm heading into the pig hunting area. Most times the responding officer sees what's going on and tells the callers that it's "o.k." and "legal". A couple of times there were rookies who actually put me on the ground and cuffed me while figuring out what to do.

Very scary!

I've always wanted to go pig hunting in Hawaii and never have had the opportunity. We should connect sometime... hey this might be a business idea for ya- Hawaiian Pig Hunting Tours! :D

I'm currently one of two registered hunting guides listed on the state Forestry website. (www.dofaw.net) Over the last 3 weeks, I've become booked until the beginning of May. I guide on Oahu, Lanai and Maui. We've got some nice Axis deer on Maui and Lanai.

I'm currently one of two registered hunting guides listed on the state Forestry website. (www.dofaw.net) Over the last 3 weeks, I've become booked until the beginning of May. I guide on Oahu, Lanai and Maui. We've got some nice Axis deer on Maui and Lanai.

OHHHH, that is simply sweet. I would use any excuse to come home and this seems like a good one (after May of course) .

Wonder if I can bring my .300WinMag over on the plane if I'm going hunting and what kind of hoops the State will make me jump through?

What about hunting Kaho'olawe? Has the military finished cleaning up and released that Island yet? Lots of ferral goat can be found on there.

The state and feds had teams of folks go to Kahoolawe and eradicate the feral goats. :mad: There is a lot of Mouflon Sheep on Lanai and Axis Deer on Maui.

The state and feds had teams of folks go to Kahoolawe and eradicate the feral goats. :mad: There is a lot of Mouflon Sheep on Lanai and Axis Deer on Maui.

Damn that is Awful. Why the hell would the State do that?

What's the scoop on me bringing my own hunting rifle?

shouldn't be a prob. .300 WinMag is a very popular caliber. I personally feel that it's way too much gun for the animals we have here. Be sure to follow all TSA and airline rules when traveling. I'll usually hit the TSA website http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm
and print up a copy of the list either the night before or day of travel. It doesn't hurt to print up the regs for the individual airline as well.

As I understand the TSA rules, you can travel with a firearm provided that it's enclosed in a hard case that's locked and that only the passenger has the combination and/or key. I would strongly advise against using "TSA Locks" to secure a firearm. Some airlines will allow it, some won't. I've got an aluminum rifle case that's secured with either a stainless steel rod and a single combination padlock or 4 padlocks. (hence the use of a "combination" padlock). I'll usually carry 4 locks due to an experience I had with an airline. They told me that each latch had to be locked. The stainless steel rod wasn't "good enough". After arguing with a supervisor for almost an hour, they allowed me to travel with the case being locked with the rod and single lock. (makes sense, since it's easier to cut the individual latches and locks than it is to cut the stainless steel rod).

I've had the most problems traveling with firearms at the Honolulu International airport. Most other places seem to be better equipped to handle passengers with firearms.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back