Hassled at the grocery store yesterday.

All Wal-Smarts in my area have no firearms signs posted. It's a shame because that is often where I feel most at risk.

Another interesting note is that a Wal-Smart in Albuquerque was the only place in New Mexico that a CCW permit has been used to save a a life. An estranged boyfriend jumped a counter and began stabbing his former girlfriend only to be stopped by a 76 year old man with a gun.

Go figure...

sorry to hear about your experience. I guess I would just like to say thanks for handling it so proffesionally and rationally. you made us all proud great job. keep us posted on thier reply

Your Wal-Marts are posted?

That is a surprise! Have you inquired about that with the Home Office in Bentonville? It is supposed to be a company-wide policy NOT to post their locations. You should snap a picture and mail it to them with an inquiry. Post it to, I for one am curious about this.

All Wal-Smarts in my area have no firearms signs posted. It's a shame because that is often where I feel most at risk.

Another interesting note is that a Wal-Smart in Albuquerque was the only place in New Mexico that a CCW permit has been used to save a a life. An estranged boyfriend jumped a counter and began stabbing his former girlfriend only to be stopped by a 76 year old man with a gun.

Go figure...

You might ought to consider a letter to corporate. "Gunbuster" signs are NOT corporate policy, and letters to their main office often have the desired effect of removing the store's signs. The only other reason I'd think that they have that sign posted is if there's a statute in the NM law where you can't carry in a place that SELLS beverage for consumption off premises.

That is a surprise! Have you inquired about that with the Home Office in Bentonville? It is supposed to be a company-wide policy NOT to post their locations. You should snap a picture and mail it to them with an inquiry. Post it to, I for one am curious about this.
I'd like to see that also. I've read stories where a certain Wal-Mart had a sign and someone called the home office and the sign was down the next day. You get some managers that try to overstep their authority. Give the home office a call!

You might ought to consider a letter to corporate. "Gunbuster" signs are NOT corporate policy, and letters to their main office often have the desired effect of removing the store's signs. The only other reason I'd think that they have that sign posted is if there's a statute in the NM law where you can't carry in a place that SELLS beverage for consumption off premises.

That prohibition only applies to open carry. NM statute specifically exempts concealed carry permit holders from this prohibition.

tattedupboy,

That's good info to know. We just had our law changed that we can now carry in establishments that sale alcohol, just not those that serve alcohol. Though, if I understood my CCW instructor correctly, we cannot carry into any establishment that is has "no guns" posted (even if its in crayon on the ceiling). I could be wrong so please correct me if so. Also, our Wal-Marts are only posted "gun free" IN the alcohol section, not at the front of the store. Does that make any difference?

tattedupboy,

Also, our Wal-Marts are only posted "gun free" IN the alcohol section, not at the front of the store. Does that make any difference?

Sounds like the sign is to comply with the alcohol sales laws. If that's the case, shop at Walmart, but don't go into the booze section. :D As a previous poster posted, the sign may be in error as the law only applies to "open" carry. If that's the case, get some good documentation of the law and forward it to the home office. I'm sure the legal department will make a decision, and if it's legal for folks to carry, then the signs will be either changed to comply with the law or removed.

gf

Hassled

Both Wal*Marts in Coolidge and Casa Grande, AZ are posted, as are a lot of other businesses since the ccw law went into effect. I told the managers of both stores that if I am ever injured by a BG while shopping there, I will sue Wal-Mart for every penny I can get because they are depriving me of the ability to defend myself. I asked them if they ever heard of Luby's, in Killeen, TX. I was not aware of the company policy and the procedure to follow when they post one of these signs. Thanks.
In 1988, my fiancee and my wife traveled to my home town, Indianapolis, IN and her home town, Erie, PA, as my mother had passed away, and I needed to sign some papers. I wore my 1911 openly all the way there and back, and we talke to many police and sheriffs. Nothing was ever said, probably because on the front of my belt was my star badge. We got back and the Wal-Mart in Casa Grande was having their grand opening. I had an unarmed security guard who resembled Mortimer Snerd's first cousin and had six inches of white sock between his shoes and pants, which were a bit tight around the armpits, confront me and tell me I had to leave the store. I alll but shoved my badge up his nose and identified myself in no uncertain terms as a police officer. His last words, as we left, was leave it at home. I was trained not to make waves, but my wife wasn't she called the store and the manager said he understood. We went back later that night, and I had my weapon concealed, and this idiot followed us all over the store, 18 inches behind us. We got up by the service desk and my wife asked the manager to get the monkey off our butts. The manager told the guard that I was a police officer, and I could carry my weapon anywhere, anytime I wished. The bozo security guard looked at the manager and said (sounding like Mortimer Snerd) "In the store?" To this day, when we run into stupidity, we look at each other and go, "In the store?"

How did this thread go from being about me being hassled at ALDI to whether it is legal to carry at WalMart in New Mexico?

I posted this back in February, and I believe I posted another thread in which I explained that I did receive a response. I now go to ALDI once a week and other than a guard who told me that guns weren't allowed in the store (to which I responded by showing him my reply letter), I haven't had any problems since. It also helps that I've been carrying mostly IWB since then, so that there is less of a print than there was with the Fobus paddle.

I don't see an update to the story, didn't Aldi ever send a reply? Remember when you're carrying, squat and bend at the knees like a Playboy Bunny waitress. Don't bend at the waist.

I don't see an update to the story, didn't Aldi ever send a reply? Remember when you're carrying, squat and bend at the knees like a Playboy Bunny waitress. Don't bend at the waist.
Read the post above yours and use "Search"

Tat did nothing wrong, but some fools caused him grief.

How did this thread go from being about me being hassled at ALDI to whether it is legal to carry at WalMart in New Mexico?

I posted this back in February, and I believe I posted another thread in which I explained that I did receive a response. I now go to ALDI once a week and other than a guard who told me that guns weren't allowed in the store (to which I responded by showing him my reply letter), I haven't had any problems since. It also helps that I've been carrying mostly IWB since then, so that there is less of a print than there was with the Fobus paddle.

It's a shame you're not left alone to go about your business legally without the feeble-righted annoying you. BTW, I got careless today and got made. I got out of my pickup to walk into a Circle K and had to walk past a group of 4 men talking outside. I spoke to them and walked on in, as I entered the store I heard a remark about a 'shirt-tail' so I checked mine. Sure enough, my untucked shirt had ridden up over the butt of my pistol and my supposedly concealed pistol was now exposed. Absolutely nothing came of it. Two of the men followed my wife and I into the store and I think they looked to see that I had taken care of it, but no mention was made. Of course, I'm in Wickenburg, Arizona--where many OC and who knows how many CC.

Hassled

Tatted, your letter to the ALDI HQ was brilliant, non-confrontational and very even-handed. I would like your permission to use much the same letter iff I need to in the future. As to the morphing of your letter into another situation, other people have had similar situations and they merely wanted to reinforce your words. Congratulations on the win. Saaalute!

I am a peace officer and I will not patronize businesses that prohibit law abiding citizens from carrying guns. My opinion is that if the ONLY other people in the store who have guns are criminals..... I am in deep trouble.

It would be nice to have one 'sleeper' in the audience who would pitch in when things get out of hand. There have been several documented incidents where Joe citizen jumps in to save a LEO who is having a really bad day.

Remember, the sheep don't like the sheepdog until the wolf comes knocking.

ALDI store located at 3311 Grant St. in Gary, Indiana.

Can you specify which store this is? I can't find an ALDI at this address. There are several in the area, but none at this address. Just want to make sure where I don't happen to shop there in the future.

Last edited:
The worst part of the encounter, however, was when the store manager told me that among her reasons for not wanting people carrying handguns in the store was that several of the ALDI stores in the area had been robbed recently, and the prohibition served as a safety measure.

QUOTE]

Safety measure?? OK, I get it. As soon as she can put up the no carry signs they won't have to worry about being robbed again. Great strategy!

I'd also add that knowing the place gets robbed frequently wouldn't give the average person a warm fuzzy feeling. After hearing that, I think I'd just find another store...or if you really love this store, conceal better.

Tatted, I search and could not find anywhere on this site where you posted their response. Can you re-post it? Thanks.

My wife and I shop at Aldi's. I carry concealed every time we go.... Hell, I carry concealed as long as I'm awake. But I've never had any problems in over 40 years of carrying. Indiana law does not address open carry, and it's legal if you want to do so. I also know that when you open carry, every other citizen is also within their rights to be concerned about a man with a gun. Simple, conceal it, or carry it open, realizing that most of those who see it are NOT versed in the law, and you may get hassled about it. It would be nice if everyone could / would carry open. I've been around too long to carry open, knowing that an adverse encounter may occur, and then get upset when it does.

Last edited:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back