Hassled at the grocery store yesterday.

tattedupboy

Thank God I'm alive!
Yesterday, on February 11, I was grocery shopping while carrying concealed in a Fobus paddle holster, my preferred mode of carry during the winter months. Apparently, at some point, perhaps while I was bending down, my jacket must have ridden up enough for someone to see my pistol, because after paying for my groceries and going over to the counter to bag them up, the security guard at the store approached me.

Even though I broke no law (accidental exposure and printing are not illegal here in Indiana; in fact, our permit is just a license to carry; this means, it is a license to carry however you choose, whether openly, concealed, duct taped to your forehead, or whatever else), the guard told me that upon seeing my weapon, the store manager wanted her to call the police on me. Needless to say, the entire experience was not very pleasant. Here is the text of the letter I sent to the corporate office today.

Customer Relations
ALDI, Inc.
1200 N. Kirk Rd.
Batavia, IL 60510

February 12, 2008

To Whom It May Concern:

My name is ******** ********** and I am writing to address an unpleasant experience I had while shopping at the ALDI store located at 3311 Grant St. in Gary, Indiana.

On Monday, February 11, I was shopping at this store, as I have done many times in the past. After paying for my groceries and going to the counter to bag them up, I was approached by the security guard. She proceeded to inform me that she had noticed the handgun I was carrying, which I am licensed to carry in public, and told me that guns are not allowed in the store. She also told me that the store manager had asked her to call the police, but she instead decided to approach me first. I pointed out that I was not in violation of any store policy due to the fact that there were no signs posted prohibiting licensed, law-abiding citizens from carrying firearms inside the store. When I explained that I was licensed and was simply a law-abiding citizen who was carrying for personal protection, she replied by saying that protecting customers was her job. I acknowledged that she was correct, but since I do not have a car to keep my handgun in while I’m in the store, I would have no way of protecting myself upon leaving the store if handguns are prohibited.

The guard then went to talk to the store manager, who told me that she prefers that customers don’t carry firearms in the store. When I explained to her that there were no signs prohibiting the lawful carrying of handguns by licensed, law-abiding citizens, she replied by telling me that she would contact the regional manager to see what exactly the company’s policy was toward this, and if she was right, she would see about getting signs posted.

The worst part of the encounter, however, was when the store manager told me that among her reasons for not wanting people carrying handguns in the store was that several of the ALDI stores in the area had been robbed recently, and the prohibition served as a safety measure. What offended me about this statement was the fact that she seemed to be suggesting that carrying a handgun made me no different from the criminals who have robbed other stores in the area and that prohibiting the carrying of handguns by licensed, law-abiding citizens such as myself would magically rid the store of crime. I tried to explain to her that such a policy would not stop criminals from carrying and using guns in the store, but to no avail.

I understand that ALDI is a private company and has the right to run its stores as it sees fit, and that includes prohibiting the carrying of handguns, even by licensed, law-abiding citizens. However, what I feel that ALDI does not have the right to do is to hassle law-abiding citizens who have done nothing wrong nor have committed any crime. Law-abiding citizens should not be getting treated like they are criminals, just because they happen to be carrying firearms for their own personal protection. I have been a loyal ALDI customer for a little over a year now, with no problems until that day. I would like to continue to do my shopping at ALDI, but only if I can be assured that nothing like this will ever happen again, whether I’m carrying a handgun or not. Furthermore, nothing is more important to me than my right to have at my disposal the tools I need to defend myself and my family against those who would do us harm. As much I enjoy doing my shopping at ALDI, if the day ever comes that I am treated this way again or see a sign prohibiting the lawful carrying of handguns by licensed, law-abiding citizens, I will never spend a dime of my money at any ALDI store ever again.

Sincerely,

an Aldi customer

As soon as I get a response, whether favorable or unfavorable, I'll post it on this site.

Last edited:
There are many folks out there that don't understand that law abiding firearms owners aren't the cause of crime. This lady probably either had a very bad experience with firearms or suffers from the fear of the "unknown". I served legal documents for a case where the gun owner was treated badly by a business. The guy sued them for violating his civil rights. The "large retailer" wanted to avoid unnecessary publicity, so they offered to settle the case with the gun owner. After a long discussion with his attorney, the gun owner agreed to settle the case. The retailer was to pay the gun owner's legal fees, and agreed to send all of their management personnel to a NRA pistol class. Most of the management completed the class and gained a better understanding of firearms owners and what we're about. About half of the management personnel currently have a CCW and company policy is silent as to if they can or cannot carry while working.

I would consider this chain of stores one of the safest to be in, and shop there whenever I'm in the area. It's amazing what folks can accomplish when you get the right circumstances and folks to help you on your way.

gf

I am sorry you had a bad experience. I appreciate your efforts of writing a well composed letter to the company. If they think they will lose enough customers, they will change their policy. Keep us updated.

You know, I have never heard anything good about any of the Aldi stores. We have a few in this area, but I've never been. I go to Walley World, or BiLo - where here there are no signs on the door... :)

Find another store to shop at. Spend your money where they understand 2nd amendment rights or at least don't trample on yours.

im with you

i cant believe these people who have blinders on thinkin a sign in the door will keep criminals from commiting acts of violence on their premesis. I would bet money that the security gaurd was unarmed as well, so whats her plan to keep the patrons safe is she gonna flash a badge at the bg or trade make up secrets? take your buisness somewhere else thtas not anti gun!

i cant believe these people who have blinders on thinkin a sign in the door will keep criminals from commiting acts of violence on their premesis. I would bet money that the security gaurd was unarmed as well, so whats her plan to keep the patrons safe is she gonna flash a badge at the bg or trade make up secrets? take your buisness somewhere else thtas not anti gun!

Good thing you didn't bet any money. Surprisingly, every time I've been there in the past, this guard, as well as all the others I've seen at this ALDI, are all armed.

The worst part of the encounter, however, was when the store manager told me that among her reasons for not wanting people carrying handguns in the store was that several of the ALDI stores in the area had been robbed recently, and the prohibition served as a safety measure.

QUOTE]

Safety measure?? OK, I get it. As soon as she can put up the no carry signs they won't have to worry about being robbed again. Great strategy!

Bummer!
I'm reminded of someone's signature I once read...

"I see stupid people, they're everywhere. Some of them don't even know that they're stupid!"

I must admit I'm way too confrontational but I would have said "if you think I have violated some law, then it is your duty to call the police! Now get out of my way!" :mad:

No, that certainly would not have been the thing to do! :D

You did handle that very well.

Tattedupboy, ya dunn good. Remember whenever mentioning that you are licensed to "carry", that the license is issued only after a background check has been completed satisfactorily. As for the manager, you can't change someone's mind with logic if they have already made up their mind. Life ain't fair; we just have to deal with it, and that, my friend, you did quite well. Bravo!

A supermarket needs security guards?

I'm glad I live where I live, in Pennsylvania (where there are nearly 600,000 people, that's one out of every twenty-three Pennsylvanians, licensed to carry concealed).

I lived in VA for a few years (10) and worked as a Loss Prevention associate for a LARGE discount store to make ends meet. Yes I carried and No I wasn't supposed to. The store had no posted signs for guns and VA is an "open carry" state.

Now, a gentleman and his wife who I'd seen several times around town carrying his 1911 open came into our store and I knew it before anyone. I gave him a nod and went on about my business until a few minutes later when the secret codes started coming over the P.A. speakers. I radio the store GM and ask what the fuss is and he stated there was an armed man "looking suspicious" in the clothing section.

My armed pal was not "looking" like anything. He was shopping and I was met by the entire store managment staff and several cashiers while I was hiding and observing the "suspect". I explained to the GM that he is within his rights and I can't/shouldn't/don't want to ask him to leave. I told them they should all feel safer with him here and reasoned that if he was a BG, he would be doing BG stuff. Not shopping for a flannel shirt.

The "perp" was non the wiser of the panic he caused until I followed him outside where we shot the bull till we got to his truck. I then explained what had occured and that the GM was a sensible man and an easy convert to my thoughts about carrying. We had a chuckle and he showed me his CCP and said he would cover her up next time. He just liked to keep the real BGs guessing.

Sorry to hear about your nasty encounter. Education is key and it sucks your encounter was with an Egg-No-Ra-Muss.

Last edited:
ALRIGHT EVERYONE REMAIN QUITE...................THIS IS A HOLD UP........NO ONE WILL BE HURT IF THEY JUST...excuse me uh....what did you say?......Oh Oh darn....I'm sorry everyone, I did not see the sign saying no guns. My bad!!! Alright everyone just continue on with your business, I will go rob the store down the street. ;)

ALRIGHT EVERYONE REMAIN QUITE...................THIS IS A HOLD UP........NO ONE WILL BE HURT IF THEY JUST...excuse me uh....what did you say?......Oh Oh darn....I'm sorry everyone, I did not see the sign saying no guns. My bad!!! Alright everyone just continue on with your business, I will go rob the store down the street. ;)

yes let us all take a minute to slowly shake our heads in thought of the uneducated people who actually think this is a reality.

We had a hold up in a store here in Ft. Worth. A lady shopping called her husband on the cell. He was waiting in the car out side. He came in, confronted the robbers and managed to shoot one as they fled the store. The wonded BG was captured at the hospital later. The man was not charged.

Well Written Letter

I found your letter to be be extremely well written. Good Work! :)

Last edited:
Good letter. If ya have any follow up with them ya might mention your checking into the unlawful detention imposed on you by the guard.
If they post a sign , I like you would take my buisness else where .

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back