Has CCW changed you/family and everday life?

Icewind

Been AZ CCW now for over 18 or so months. Somedays I carry somedays I don't. Sometimes my fiance tells me "oh leave that home" and I'm like ok.

But a few friends, 1 in particular, is what I call CCW crazy. No offense intended to him or anybody eles. Just talking here.

He spends his free time(not all of it) but some thinking up new ways to carry his magazines. He uses a Glock .40 G27. In one magazine he'll load the top 2 with some exotic hollow points, 3 lower are FMJ for "going through a car door" then he'll stagger the rest in some crazy order.

Here in AZ it's hot. Not just hot, FREAK"N hot! summer shorts, tank tops, crocs or flip flops. This guy refuses to wear anything but shoes in case "i have to run".

Now I'm not bagging on the guy, he's a friend and love him. But he's just CCW crazy. Great guy super, father but CCCW crazy. and know this. He's never been in a situation to use his CCW just loves gujns I guess.

Anyone eles let CCW maybe change the way they were before CCW?

think about it.

If you are unwilling to allow concealed carry to affect your life in a significant and serious way, I recommend you not carry. It implies that you are ready to remain in condition yellow pretty much all the time, and to make life and death decisions at any moment. Be honest with yourself and consider whether you want and accept that responsibility.

You bring up an interesting point. Having the ability to carry concealed (or open carry) does change how we think and handle ourselves. I personally think that it is sad that we have to be concerned about personal safety and that of our loved ones. We have to be concerned to the point of being prepared and able to repel attackers with deadly force. Life would be so much easier if we all just could get along. I know, I am drifting off into some weird fairy tale and so now, I will get my head out of that and back to reality.

I spent 13 years in law enforcement and private security in Texas and I am keenly aware of those folks who have no regard for the sanctity of life or living peaceably with their fellow man. Those folks (turds) do what they want and use whatever force necessary to make it happen with no regard for anyone else. That is the reality of the matter. Believe it or not, I spent a period of time without owning a weapon. I was still aware of my surroundings and still held on to some of the old habits like not sitting in a restaurant with my back to the door for many years. I guess that while I was no longer working directly in law enforcement or security I felt as if my need to carry a weapon was no longer necessary.

Fast forward to today and I now have two handguns and a shotgun in the house. My wife and son told me that they think that I am overtly paranoid. They feel as if nothing is going to happen to me or to them because nothing ever has. Maybe part of that is because we do not place ourselves in situations where the probability of something happen is elevated. The bottom line is this. Crime is on the increase and we see stories on the news all across our nation where home invasions are on the rise. Kidnappings, rape, murder, gangs running through the streets attacking people in broad daylight. I told my wife and children that they can stay in their false security bubble but that I decided to be prepared for the worse case scenario. I want to be prepared for the "what if" and hope that I am prepared enough for us to survive it and come out alive on the other side.

I guess different folks approach that in different ways. I think that most of us have a healthy respect for our surroundings and want to live to see another day and we carry because we want to be prepared. I have met some folks that allow the ability to carry a weapon go to their head and they feel a power rush almost to the point where they look forward to something happen so they can put their training (or lack of training) to use. What those folks do not realize is that violent encounters are just that, violent encounters that are nothing like what you see on TV or the movies.

Having said all of that we have a HUGE responsibility to carry. In a split second we may have to make the decision to take the life of another human being. If or when we are faced with that decision we must know in advance what we are going to do and that doing so will change our lives forever. It will be something that we will relive many many times for the rest of our lives. Knowing that should be a very sobering thing. Knowing that should make us smart and keep us from getting into needless situations that could put us or our loved ones in danger.

If you are unwilling to allow concealed carry to affect your life in a significant and serious way, I recommend you not carry. It implies that you are ready to remain in condition yellow pretty much all the time, and to make life and death decisions at any moment. Be honest with yourself and consider whether you want and accept that responsibility.

Dude chill out. That's to deep. I'm trying to live and enjoy life. Not "make life and death decisions at any moment". I carry to protect my finance more than myself. Shees, gun people can be crazy.

Middle of the Road Viewpoint on CCW.

I pretty much agree with everything Sig1911 and Chiefpropellerhead have said. However, in regard to your friend - there's a point where preparedness becomes obsession, and it sounds like he's just over that line. He's read a few too many forums and is trying to be "tac-ti-cool" in his carrying.

I believe the more training the better. And yes, you do have to spend a considerable amount of time visualizing likely and unlikely scenarios, thinking through decisions ahead of time, rather than making them in the 2.5 seconds an average gunfight lasts.

But "punching through car doors" and creatively stacking magazines?? Come on. That's SWAT stuff. It's not likely he's going to be in a protracted shootout with multiple targets on foot and in vehicles. An average joe is far more likely to be jumped from behind by 1-2 muggers who just want to take his wallet and run like hell. Or come face-to-face with a burglar who thought no one was home.

Personally - I carry a S&W M&P 45 with between 20-50 rounds (2-5 magazines) of Remington Golden Saber +P 185gr hollow point depending on weather and clothing choices. Note: I don't ever expect to have to use that many rounds - but if you have a lot of pockets, you have a choice of where to grab in case you need a spare mag and can't get to the one on your belt. For the home invasion scenario, I have a Mossberg 12 gauge loaded with #1 buckshot.

I spend a lot more time obsessing on keeping my pistol hidden yet accessible, than on figuring some exotic (and probably useless) way to stack a mag.

Hope that gives some perspective. :)

Dude chill out. That's to deep. I'm trying to live and enjoy life. Not "make life and death decisions at any moment". I carry to protect my finance more than myself. Shees, gun people can be crazy.

Then again YOU SHOULD NOT BE CARRYING A FIREARM. If you are unwilling to make life and death decisions at any moment! You take that upon yourself when you choose to carry a firearm, it's there to take a life should you need to, not to make you look or feel cool. It also does not protect your finance by choosing to leave the firearm at home. It's a lifestyle change to carry around a chunk of steel all day everyday(even carrying at home.)

Living in AZ with all the drugs,kidnappings, murders and boarder jumpers I would not leave my house with anything less then a M1A1 tank.

Then again YOU SHOULD NOT BE CARRYING A FIREARM. If you are unwilling to make life and death decisions at any moment! You take that upon yourself when you choose to carry a firearm, it's there to take a life should you need to, not to make you look or feel cool. It also does not protect your finance by choosing to leave the firearm at home. It's a lifestyle change to carry around a chunk of steel all day everyday(even carrying at home.)

Living in AZ with all the drugs,kidnappings, murders and boarder jumpers I would not leave my house with anything less then a M1A1 tank.

1st red highlight, That's right, it is my choice and I make it when I make it.
2nd red highlight, I don't carry at home, lol. I have my piece near by I'll admit but carry no.
3rd, I live here in AZ and all the things you mentioned are from your friends at fox and that fear monger Glen Beck. and if you can't go outside without a M1A1, then everything you say you stand for 2nd ammend., freedom of gun, freedom or death..type stuff then you've allready lost.

This was a just a question. I didn't mean to get everyone crazy telling me "i better not carry" and I can feel a bit of anger. This is just a discussion.

1st red highlight, That's right, it is my choice and I make it when I make it.
2nd red highlight, I don't carry at home, lol. I have my piece near by I'll admit but carry no.
3rd, I live here in AZ and all the things you mentioned are from your friends at fox and that fear monger Glen Beck. and if you can't go outside without a M1A1, then everything you say you stand for 2nd ammend., freedom of gun, freedom or death..type stuff then you've allready lost.

My friends,LOL. Sorry but I like to be lied to in person not by some over paid TV news anchor. But your right all that stuff is made up to put fear into people, none of it is happening for real. I forgot our own government says the boarders states are safe. Yet you read/watch it all really happening on more then one news channel/news paper, wow they all must be in bed with FOX news.

Why do you carry? It can't be for self protection(you have already stated that) so what is the reason? You just wake up one day and think it was a cool idea? Hell you yourself say you leave it at home half the time. Do you just like the idea of carrying?

My friends,LOL. Sorry but I like to be lied to in person not by some over paid TV news anchor. But your right all that stuff is made up to put fear into people, none of it is happening for real. I forgot our own government says the boarders states are safe. Yet you read/watch it all really happening on more then one news channel/news paper, wow they all must be in bed with FOX news.

Why do you carry? It can't be for self protection(you have already stated that) so what is the reason? You just wake up one day and think it was a cool idea? Hell you yourself say you leave it at home half the time. Do you just like the idea of carrying?

dude, chill man. Is having such a short temper good for ccw?

Changed my life and family life? Hell, yes. I did not grow up knowing about guns at all. Coming from a different country where bodyguards were a norm in my then family, then moving to a country that removed gun ownership, I was ignorant, even when an officemate talks about it all the time in the lunch room. Then coming to live in this country where hubby and kids were not really gun shy but owns quite a bit, I tried not to get involved until I was ignored for a few years when it comes to gun ownership. I'd looked at a gun and get scared, can't even touch one without being afraid it might go off.

I've made my peace with my family since and went to get a course, then another one, then another one and so on and so forth. Hubby and I got our CCW then kids to the youngest one got theirs one by one. I am living with my family whose main concern is to protect each other, being environment aware, with our first responder (the dog in my avatar). He knows his role. And he trust that we will protect him too.

We all carry everyday even inside the house, even doing yardwork at the front and side of our house. From ignorant to knowledgeable and safety aware, of course it changed my life. We do not take gun ownership for granted either. It is part of our everyday outfit, each and everyone of us who lives here in this house. We practice at least once a week in the range and dry practice in the basement and in our hangar as often as time permits.

I cannot win any gun-slinging competion and I cannot admit I am good, but if circumstances happens, I am (we are) skill-ready.

dude, chill man. Is having such a short temper good for ccw?

Short temper, LOL. Asking you why you carry is having such a short temper, good god I pry you never cross paths with NavyLT,nogods etc. You may die of fright!

Why do you carry if not for self protection(as you have already stated is not the reason you carry),you state it's to protect your soon to be wife right? Yet you say you leave the firearm at home half the time, or when she asks you to. So if the firearm is carried to protect her why leave it at home? Could it be you view the firearm as an inconvenience? Added weight you have to carry around all day in the hot sun, the added weight does not seem wroth it to you?

Did you just say fear monger. That is funny stuff, the tank comment was obviously sarcasm. AZ is dangerous, especially near the border. Then again living someplace "safe" doesn't prevent people from randomly killing each other. You friend sounds passionate about not dying, it might seem overboard to some. I've never thought of mixing JHP and FMJ in the same magazine, shooting someone through a car door is a bad idea because you cannot see what is on the other side. I am loaded with +p+ JHP and that's good enough for me. FYI, I am not angry or upset or anything just telling you my opinion.

Concealed carry has not affected me in the least. Im a quiet person and i stay mostly to my self, but i got my CCW permit for my protection as well as others if needed. I mind my own business and don`t go looking for trouble, but you never know when trouble will come looking for you. Shooting someone would be the last thing i would ever want to do, but if it came down to it i would if i really had to.

Has CCW changed your everyday life?

+1 to Tucker's Mom and Ghost Rider. I'm in line with a lot of what they said.

Succinctly:
I hope for the best (that nothing ever happens to me or my loved ones) but I plan for the worst (in trying to prepare for the most common worst-case scenario). Like Tucker's Mom, I'm not sure anyone would call me good with a gun, but I'm comfortable with it, I am proficient with it, and I'm mentally ready to use it if forced into that situation.

Has CCW changed my life? A little.
  • I am more alert to my surroundings and make choices that put me in scenarios with the least amount of statistical danger (don't shop at night by myself, don't cut through alleys when it is dark, purposely avoid places that show higher incidence of crime, etc)
  • I drive at speeds a lot closer to the speed limit because I don't want to be pulled over (and possibly have an ARMED LEO become nervous when they realize that I have a gun on me)
  • I wear my shirts a little looser to aid in concealing the ever-present gun
  • I go to the range regularly to practice and also do some psychological training as well (mindset, and also scenarios) ...

If you have a permit and carry or don't carry, it is a personal choice--I don't think any of us need to belittle the other for their choices. For me, I carry everyday, everywhere. My reasoning is 3-fold:

1) the bad guys have not yet started making appointments with their targets as to when they plan to strike
2) there are too many crime scenes where the general thought consensus was "it will never happen to me," or "it will never happen here." Easily one of the most famous crimes of our lifetime is the Petit rapes/murders in Connecticut from 2007. Who would ever THINK to prepare for a crime like that in a community like that? Other memorable crimes are the Fort Hood murders of 2009 and Columbine in 1999. There are just too many to cite where the public's response (and likely the mindset of the victims) was "not me, not here."
3) I'd rather have a gun and not need it, than need a gun and not have it.

Stay safe everybody!

Do not remember if carrying has made any difference in me or not---been carrying for over 40 yrs. Have not shot up the neighborhood or gone crazy ----YET. I feel most comfortable around folks who carry also. That means we can protect each other. That is what friends do. Those who do not carry are OK-just not the kind of folks that I want watching my "six". Am I a gun nut --yep, guess so. Saying goes: gun nut= one who has a gun in every room but still carries in case he gets jumped in the hallway-lol.

icewind

If you're so anti-everything on this forum why are you a member of it? This is not high school debate team. It is a forum for people interested in its contents to view their opinions and share experiences etc. This is not a place to start arguments for the hell of it, it's an educational friendship-based multicultural and geographical resource for people to experience diversity in their choice to carry a firearm. Take the petty proverbial water-cooler arguments elsewhere.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back