Has anyone here ever drawn their weapon?

Grognard Gunny:209010 said:
OTOH, I HAVE killed, but that was self defence of my Country (in addition to my butt) in some little corner of a jungle. LOL!

So.... been there, done that..... STILL not the most pleasant of experiences, to say the least.

GG
LOL LMAO RAOTF!!!!!!! This Guy is hilarious!!!!!! Really LOL!!!!!

It was this spring on a Friday night I got off work @ 2am just as the bars are closing I hate that I was running late for work because I was forced to get gas when I got off (big mistake in Detroit ) I was on our famous 8 mile rd ... I'm a fan of shell gasoline so I always use that fuel as I pulled up to the pump I'm lucky because the station was empty (fantastic ) I go in to pay for my gas come out its still empty (fabulous ) I pour in a bottle of ejection cleaner and try to toss it in the trash about 2 yards away missed as the can container pops towards a car full of Young adults that was pulling up to the pump (damn) in the Cadillac 2 girls 2 guys the young lady gets out the car weed smoke smell just floating out the car saying you saw us coming you tried to hit my (llac) short for Cadillac LOL ...As I try to apologize and explain I didn't see them pulling in the driveway until I tossed it she wasn't trying to hear me she motioned to a male passenger to exit the car he gets out with more weed smoke exiting the vehicle she's telling him I tried to hit his ride I'm pissed because during the whole time I never started the pump (what a idiot ) so now the dude's out the car trash talking I paid them no more attention until the words ( we can get it popping up in here ) for those of you who don't know it means the crap is about to hit the fan!!!!! He told the dude in the backseat to get the chopper out the trunk (AK 47 )I instantly positioned myself on the other side of my car and pulled my FNP 45 stainless and black in color!!! The female saw this screamed that MF got a big ***** gun they male and female jumped back in the car tires screeching headed west on 8 mile rd my heart is pumping not knowing if they are gonna circle the block I go back inside the station gas attendant saw the whole thing and had LEO'S on the way!!!!!! I always get gas before work now LOL!!!!

Just three times

I've unholstered 3 times, fired the pistol once.
First time, headed home after a ballgame, in the middle of nowhere (place in the country), about 2am. An SUV was following so close that I couldn't see his headlights.
Sped up a little and the car sped up, eventually bumping my rear almost knocking me off the road. I rolled down my window, whipped onto the shoulder, jumped out, and emptied into the rear of the SUV. He kicked it in warp speed and I never saw him again.
Second time, headed to the same place (home) driving behind my wife and kids in her truck. I stopped to get gas and she went on home. I pulled in the gate and she was standing in the driveway holding both kids and her PPKS. I cleared with my pistol and a SxS. Someone had broken in a bathroom window, and was apparently still in the house when she came in (only lost 3 long guns out of a gun cabinet). Left our pet Dobermans in the house while we were gone, and couldn't understand how they managed to get in. Next day I found 2 bullet holes in the bathroom ceiling, where they apparently shot to scare the dogs, all I can figure. That night I would have put somebody in the ground!
Third time, I was outside a convenience store in Arlington, TX talking on the phone. Kept watching a guy hanging around outside the store acting stupid. Finally he came over and knocked on my window yelling at me. I put the muzzle of my HK against the glass, still on the phone, and he turned around and beat feet.

It pays to be armed in the wild west.:triniti:

Interesting topic.

A few years ago we went out to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Picked an expensive nice restaurant. Sitting at the bar I spilled a glass of water which rolled along the bar and wet another patron's arm. This muscle-head was half my age and looking to throw down over it. I apologized, offered to pay for dry-cleaning. He got even madder. I then paid his tab and his demeanor changed. He became very nice. Didn't know it was our anniversary... yeah, blah, blah, blah.

All the while wifey is sitting there with a smile. I later asked her what the smirk was for. She indicated she had her Glock 27 .40 in her pocketbook and had her hand on it the entire time. I was eight weeks out of heart surgery and she wasn't letting muscle-head pound me. I'm very proud of her. Drop of a hat this gal will rock-and-roll.

BTW, it's not illegal to carry a gun in a bar or restaurant in NY.

In my younger days, before I was trained, I had a weapon pointed at someone three times. Since getting training and getting my CHP, I have only been in a situation where my weapon became a factor once (let the drunk know I had it, but did not draw it). Since getting even more advanced training, I have not had to bring my weapon into play, and further realized that three of the four previous encounters could have been avoided by different behaviour on my part. The earliest encounter, where someone tried to break into my house and reconsidered after looking down the barrel of my shotgun, was not reasonably avoidable on my part, unless I lived in one of those whimpy states that make you retreat first.

This thread has given me an insight I'd like to share (just in case anyone else is in the same boat). First I haven't ever had to draw and am glad for that; now for my insight.

I am not allowed to carry at work (govt office, another thread discusses this more); so I'm usually strapping on my weapon when I get home from work. Some days I don't intend to leave the house when I get home (like recently where we've had 115 degree temps with heat index) so I leave the gun in the safe. After reading this thread I might change this pattern of mine. Anyone else notice how many of these incidents (newer and older posts) happened around home? Just something to think about.

My family did have a near miss recently though. I was away with my family home and they thought they heard me come in the back door. After I didn't respond when they called out and I didn't come upstairs they were a little confused. Until I came home 30-45 minutes later. Still not sure who it was that came in our back door and took nothing (2 digital cameras with easy access) and nothing's happened since. Had I come home and found someone in my house that didn't belong with my family I'm sure it would have come out, I did have it on me that night.

Last edited:
This thread has given me an insight I'd like to share (just in case anyone else is in the same boat). First I haven't ever had to draw and am glad for that; now for my insight.

After reading this thread I might change this pattern of mine. Anyone else notice how many of these incidents (newer and older posts) happened around home? Just something to think about.

/QUOTE]

I learned that a long time ago studying civilian shootings. It seems that an majority of civilian defensive shooting occur at either a person's home, or his place of business. That is why I am never without my sidearm when I am at home.

I learned that a long time ago studying civilian shootings. It seems that an majority of civilian defensive shooting occur at either a person's home, or his place of business. That is why I am never without my sidearm when I am at home.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions, I do appreciate it. Would you care to share your sources and methods that you used when you studied civilian shootings? I'm a researcher myself and would love to study such things on my own.

I was in the Army, does this count? Also worked for the DoD as well that required a CCW

When to draw

I'm disabled and unable to fully engage in flight from combat, so sometimes my options are limited to fight. This is one of the reasons I obtained a CCW and trained with my weapon. However, the times I have drawn I have felt fully justified.

The very first time, a friend of mine and I had just exited our vehicle after parking in a huge metro mall parking complex. The BG approached my friend, threw him against his own car and started screaming at him about what he did to his sister, Theresa. The funny thing was, my friend had been going out with Becky for over a year so I knew this had to be a case of mistaken identity! I drew my Ruger .357, pointed it across the roof, and informed BG that he could either let him go or catch bullets. We stared at each other for about 3 seconds (felt like five minutes) and he dropped my friend and ran off. I reholstered, we went in and shopped! To this day he swears he doesn't know Theresa...

Long ago I used to work nights and getting approached by street people was a regular thing. However, one time my polite denial to give away any change I had turned into some harsh words and then two of his friends started to take interest in the conflict even though I was walking away and ignoring it. I drew my gun and turned to face them, dialed 911 and got ready to hit send and said, "I'll call the police and finish it myself if they don't get here in time." They were stunned! They turned and left but I called police and reported the incident just in case.

Third incident was going to pick my wife up and a minivan starts to pull in front of me and slam on his brakes. Every time I change lanes to avoid him, he moves to block me and slams on his brakes. I finally move to the shoulder of the freeway to just let this idiot go on and he pulls to the shoulder as well! I immediately call 911 because I don't know what he's got on his mind when he steps out and starts to walk back towards me. I draw my weapon and point it at him just as I start giving all the details to 911. He stops, stares at the gun, turns and leaves!

I love the fact that my gun has stopped violence every time it has been used. I don't draw it lightly, but I also don't hesitate when I feel I'm in danger.

I have two experiences to share (twenty years apart)...

In the mid-90's, I lived in a quiet neighborhood in Jacksonville, Florida. At 11:30pm on a Saturday night, there was a loud banging on my front door. Picking up my 9mm, I quietly slipped out the back door (no street lights covered me). I saw a car parked in the street with a black guy at the wheel and the motor running. The other black guy was still beating on my door.

I racked the slide on the 9mm (even though there was already a round in the chamber) as I stepped around the corner. The guy at the door was so surprised that he literally ran to the car and off they went. I had racked the slide to ensure that the bad guy was aware that I was armed. IMHO, I stopped a home invasion.

My second experience was late last year at the Walmart parking lot on Marks Street in Henderson, Nevada.

I stopped at Walmart about two o'clock in the afternoon to buy a case of beer and a loaf of bread. Because it was late in the day, I had to park in the outlying area of the parking lot. As I exited the store, I walked up the row of parked cars that was directly opposite the door and one row over from my hardtop Jeep...intending to cut between the cars when I approached my vehicle. I was carrying a .45 ACP OWB, concealed with a vest.

As I approached my intended route between the cars, I noticed a "particular" oddity. There was an older model Chevy backed in beside my Jeep with both doors on the right side open. Behind the wheel was a black guy who was scanning the lot. There were two other black guys casing my Jeep (very darkly tinted windows)...one on each side.

I put down my beer and bread, uncovered my weapon and placed my hand on the grip. I stepped between the cars and said, "If you're looking for trouble, you just found it." I had already decided to shoot the bigger one first, followed by his companion...with the third round for the driver, if there was time.

The two immediately jumped in the open doors of the Chevy and the driver darn near wrecked the car making the getaway from the obvious "smash-n-grab" scene. However, I got the plate number and called 911. The cops arrived in about five minutes, but I never heard anything afterward.

BTW: The police asked if I had a permit to carry, but never asked to actually see it when I told them I did. Perhaps, the NRA sticker on the Jeep and my positive response was enough. Besides, I just look enough like a redneck anyway.:laugh: There are countless smash-n-grabs that occur in the Vegas area every month.

Last edited:
Thanks for confirming my suspicions, I do appreciate it. Would you care to share your sources and methods that you used when you studied civilian shootings? I'm a researcher myself and would love to study such things on my own.

Well, I will give it a try. It is hard to produce a bibliography on the subject since I did not undertake the effort 30 or more years ago for the purpose of writing a paper, but to learn more so that I could keep myself safe. A good source is the National Rifleman magazine from the NRA. Granted, it is biased toward successful encounters, but you can get a flavor of things over years of reading. Home*|*The Armed Citizen used to be a good source, but it is kind of hit and miss now. You can also search the web on the subject and you will find a lot of information, both progun and antigun. If the article is well written, it should have a bibliography at the end, or at least list sources within the article. You can then read those, too. Since crime patterns change, you will need to do it for a while to get a big picture. You will also have to keep in mind context. A good example is some of Massad Ayoob's early writings. People in the gun community still wet their pants over reloads and other issues based on what he wrote years ago, with very few states having CCW, and living in one of the more antigun regions in the country. Ayoob is a darn good writer, and knows what he is doing when it comes to a lot of issues. However, what was true 20 years ago in the Northeast Corridor has nothing to do with the situation today in Texas or Nebraska any more than what Elmer Keith and Bill Jordan wrote 50 years ago has anything to do with downtown Chicago. There is a lot of information out there, and a lot of it is true within its context. Piecing it all together into a big picture takes time and patience, and the willingness to draw your own conclusions, not just swallow what someone else feeds you.

Hope this helps.

As luck would have it, considering that I have not had a "night alert" in years.....

About two in the morning, this date, my two cats were "pounding" through the house, making a lot of noise. Now, the only time that they make that sort of noise is when they are "spooked" and are tearing for their respective "bolt holes" or they are playing "chase". (Which they never do at night.)

I'm up and my trusty "seven shooter" (Taurus .357, seven shot revolver) is in my hand while I do a security check. NOTHING! Not inside, not outside! Most perplexing!

The cats? Following me around with that "Whatcha doin', Dad?" look on their faces!

Fortunately my hair is already white, else I would have picked up a few more last night. LOL!

GG

You are all making me really glad I like in Podunk, Idaho.

I thought I lived there too, but it can happen anywhere now with almost 10% unemployment. Since I was 21 (now 37) I had a CCW permit in Oregon. Then after moving to NM a few years ago, I just never got around to getting it here. I got lazy carrying since I had only a Glock 17. A few months ago, during the day, my wife came home when bad guys where in our house stealing all kinds of stuff. Luckily they didn't get my Glock, but they did get some old shotguns and some .22s. I was relieved they decided to take off when she got home, but I was extremely bothered that besides the police taking almost an hour to get there and that I beat them back home being 30 miles away when their office is only 2 minutes away, was that I was out of position without my gun. Never again. While waiting for my paperwork to go through now, I am glad NM is a full open carry state in the meantime.

There are two instances where I have drawn and indexed a weapon.

First was about three years ago on the way to colorado to do a little jeeping. I was traveling with my wife and kids, along with my brother in law and his family. It was a little after midnight and we stopped in Kansas City to grab some snacks and a restroom break. All the kids were sleeping at the time, and we took turns staying with them and running into the convenience store. My wife and I had returned to the trucks, and my Bro in law had just entered the store with his wife when an old beat up chevy pulled in and six obviously drunk Kid Rock wanna be's climbed out. I just got a weird feeling, and told my wife to find her cell phone and get in the truck. I got behind my trailer did a quick weapon check and tried to stay out of sight, but within sight of the store and my family. Sure enough as soon as four of the chuckle heads got in the store the started knocking stuff over and messing with the clerk. I could see my brother in law in the back of the store staying out of sight and trying to get his wife out of the restroom. As soon as she came out he started the quick determined walk out, and almost made it. Right as he got to the door the loudest dude shoved him from behind and followed him out. Things started happening pretty fast at this point. My BIL pushed his wife as hard as he could towards the truck, BG 1 pulled a knife and the two BG's still standing by the car stuck their arms back in the car windows. My BIL pulled his H&K USP and stuck in BG 1's face, and I came fast walking out from behind the trailer with my 1911 leveled at idiot's 2 and 3 (appearently I was yelling at the top of my lungs but I don't really remember that part). My BIL started saying some really ugly things to these guys. But they got the point. Knife got dropped as did a tire iron and another knife. The three dudes in the store kinda slipped out and over towards the car, I said get the F out, and all 6 left. The only injuries that occured where the scrapes my sister in law got from her husband shoving her to the pavement. We were lucky. I am glad there were two of us that night, because otherwise there would have been bloodshed.
Second time was last summer. I was in my hotel parking lot in St. Louis.I was just grabbing my luggage out of the back seat of my truck, when some one grabbed my shoulder and pulled me back. I spun around and there was a panhandler asking for some cash. I took a step back and said "Sorry buddy, just cards, no cash." He got a little worked up and said " Come on I know you got something for me!", I pulled out my LCR and said "Nope. Just this." Then he left. SOB scratched my new pickup with his back pack as he left though. Kinda ticked me off. I had just traveled all the way through IL, so I almost didn't bother putting that little gun in my pocket. But I did and now I always will. This world is too wierd to not. Both times I've been driven to draw, were situations I couldn't of dreamed up if I tried, but they happened, and If I hadn't been prepared I'm not sure what would of gone down.

the closest I have been was about 6 months ago, let me start by telling you I work in a secure facility housing some pretty unsavory individuals, so I am always watching when I go outside my home for any unknown vehicles.
About 11 pm one night my wife and I were watching t.v. and I looked out the window to see a early 90s chevy pickup parked across my driveway, lights off, door standing open. nobody in sight. I quickly retrieved my Glock 22 and my surfire light and made my way out the back door to investigate. By the time I made it to the front of the house the truck door was closing and the truck was quickly leaving.
I dont know if it was actually anything or not, but I was glad to have my Glock by my side.

Semper Fi

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back