Has anyone ever seen this kind of ammo?

The zink fouling was the reason for "greasing" the bullets during the time period of that jacket material. I don't do "links", I read books- a lost art of the oldtimers. I'm not familiar with necroposting but if it's an insult, I've been insulted many times in the past.

Someone need sto work up a guide for us on what kind of ammo is nneded for such things:

Bigfoot
centaurs
dragons
faeries
ghosts
griffons
the Jersey Devil
the Loch Ness monster
mermaids
unicorns
vampires
werewolves
yeti
zombies

Dude,wtf is wrong with you? bigfoot is protected (at least here):laugh:
I personally couldn't shoot a mermaid but I'd crank up the scope to look!

The zink fouling was the reason for "greasing" the bullets during the time period of that jacket material. I don't do "links", I read books- a lost art of the oldtimers. I'm not familiar with necroposting but if it's an insult, I've been insulted many times in the past.

In simple terms

And I read about 80-100 pages per day, sometimes as much as 140.

"Necroposting" is the act of pulling up an inactive thread. This can be a good thing, or not; depending on the reason. Recently last year's thread asking posters to send their congressmen and the president copies of the second amendment was dug up and re-used rather than starting a new thread.

Have a great day.

You don't do "links" and Remington nor any other ammo manufacturer did "zink" either.

If you want the appearance of credibility, I would suggest at least spelling the subject in question correctly.

You don't do "links" and Remington nor any other ammo manufacturer did "zink" either.

If you want the appearance of credibility, I would suggest at least spelling the subject in question correctly.

'Necro-Posting' is what internet snobs call responding to an old thread.
Reviving ne that was essentially dead.
(like this forum with it's abundance of 'Keyboard Commandos' and internet snobs...)

Only the guys roaming around looking for someone/something to complain about b!tch about 'Necro-Posting' and spelling/grammar as long as the post is even marginally legible...

It's been my experience that it's usually some lonely fat guy in his mom's basement, setting in his under ware looking for a way to make himself feel 'Superior' on the internet,
Not realizing the rest of us just don't care...

Besides, with the small amount of traffic on this board, a year later the thread is still on the 'Top Shelf' for people to find...
That usually means the 'Snobs' can't cut it on the popular board, so they hang out on the low traffic boards and regurgitate what they have found on other boards, correct spelling, grammar and generally are devoid of any first hand knowledge...

I find some of the best information on 'Old Threads' sometimes.
There are some guys that post up good information, then the lack of traffic drives them to other places.
You have to 'Drill Down' sometimes, past the 'Regulars' that post up anything and everything they come across someplace else and try to duplicate here (usually poorly) and present it as their 'Own Idea' or knowledge without research...

That's how most of the 'Myths' get repeated until they are 'Folk Lore' and then they are REALLY hard to correct because people have heard them in so many places so many times!

-----------------------------------------------------------

The jacket material is probably a Tin/copper alloy since there was a shortage of Copper during WW-II.
Real tin is NON-Magnetic when mixed with as little as 10% copper, and it's soft enough to grip the rifling without much damage to the barrel, and was used extensively throughout the world during both world wars.

The core is probably lead since the US didn't have a shortage of lead during WW-II, but both were used as cores during WW-II.
Being non magnetic, I'd say lead core...

The RA is probably 'Remington Arms', but there were some military manufactures in 1940, and I don't know all their head stamps...
Like 'Rock Island Armory' which is sometimes abbreviated 'R A' or 'R I'...

Lake City Armory is always LC currently, but during WW-II some of the head stamps were 'L A' for 'Lake City Armory'...

So I can't give a definitive answer on that head stamp since I wasn't there in 1940...
-------------------------

The jacket isn't Zinc.
Zinc was a war material we had shortages of during WW-II,
And zinc would have corroded with nothing but air contact by now...
Zinc is a fairly reactive element with oxygen and other corrosives, that's why it's used in batteries and other reactive situations.

Think I'm getting in on the tail end of this, but could they be cupra-nickle bullets? It seems to me the early military bolt guns used that type of bullet before they went to copper plated spitzers. I don't know for sure, just what I have read about.:biggrin:

Can't imagine Nickel being used in bullets during the war years, there was a nickel shortage to make aircraft engines, iron and steel parts for everything, but anything is possible!

They actually wound some WELDERS with silver instead of copper...
The silver was supposed to go into windings for the 'A' bomb producing plants so it could be recovered after the war, but some slipped into 'Hobart' welders from the period...

I'd like to find one of those units!
Expecting 200 pounds of copper and finding 200 pounds of SILVER instead!

The idea was to use the 'Strategic Reserves' of silver for the windings of some super collider or something,
To free up the copper for war production.
The winding makers screwed up and extruded some of it into big old electric motor driven welders they shipped for everything from battle ship/liberty ship production to building the magnets for the 'A' bomb program it was intended for...

The reason I know about it is a guy down the road from me couldn't get brushes for a '43 Hobart welder anymore, (Big old 440 three phase motor, WAY outdated) and when he scrapped it out, it turned out to be SILVER INSIDE!

I never get that luck, I'd wind up with aluminum instead of copper!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back