Harvard study dispels myth about gun control

xdmgator

http://weaselzippers.us/2013/08/28/harvard-study-dispels-myth-gun-control-reduces-murder-rates/

Alaska, Texas, and Arizona all have violent crime rates and murder rates that are higher than New York State's violent crime rate and murder rate. Thus, if there is a correlation between gun control laws and crime, then that proves that stricter gun laws result in lower crime rates. Perhaps Alaska, Texas, and Arizona need to adopt their own SAFE ACTS.​

When you can't respond to the facts, respond by disparaging the fact giver. That's a good sign of intellectual capacity.

Alaska, Texas, and Arizona all have violent crime rates and murder rates that are higher than New York State's violent crime rate and murder rate. Thus, if there is a correlation between gun control laws and crime, then that proves that stricter gun laws result in lower crime rates. Perhaps Alaska, Texas, and Arizona need to adopt their own SAFE ACTS.​

If New York didn't LIE about its rate, they wouldn't.

Of course they most likely left out the drive by shootings and the "work place" violence of the study. Also Alaska's population is so small that one murder and ratio could be larger than NYC.

The real test will be when Illinois finally starts issuing their CCL's. Then if the murder rate goes down then we can tell Harvard that they need to give their report to Charmin so it can be properly used!!!!

The study is from 2007 and it's being discussed in another thread.
http://www.usacarry.com/forums/fire...-proves-gun-grabbers-argument-dead-wrong.html

Alaska, Texas, and Arizona all have violent crime rates and murder rates that are higher than New York State's violent crime rate and murder rate. Thus, if there is a correlation between gun control laws and crime, then that proves that stricter gun laws result in lower crime rates. Perhaps Alaska, Texas, and Arizona need to adopt their own SAFE ACTS.
And your claim was debunked in the other thread.

Why do people, especially 2nd Amendment advocates, try to equate gun ownership with crime statistics? The 2A is not about crime!!

The 2A is about the right of the American citizen to be well-regulated (i.e. well-armed) in order to protect their state from attack, especially from the Federal government.

To make it a crime thing, at some point, there will be some crime statistic that doesn't go in our favor and the liberal MSM will be all over it like stink on scheisse. You think the battle over gun control (i.e. people control) is strong now... it'll be ten times worse when this happens.

What's with this study?

This study was published 6 years ago, in the Harvard Public Policy journal. So why is it getting all the attention now??

You can read the original report here: Link Removed

Curiously, though, the study was made to decide on how to spend public policy funds. They claimed they weren't trying to prove or disprove gun control claims. BUT, since the study did NOT prove that more guns create more crime, they saw no reason to go further with the information.

http://weaselzippers.us/2013/08/28/harvard-study-dispels-myth-gun-control-reduces-murder-rates/

Last edited:
Uh..no it wasn't. And it isn't my claim, its the FBI statistics.

Facts suck when you want to spew nonsense. Deal with the facts. Alaska, Texas, and Arizona all have both higher violent crime rates and higher murder rates than New York State.

Are these stats you're spewing just looking at the number flat or per-capita because if you're looking at the numbers flat you're wrong. You can't compare details of populations when the population sizes are different. Sure those states might have higher rates but what about the general population size? If you really want to argue stats I'd be more than willing.
First you need to normalize your data before you can even see if there's a correlation there. This is where the per capita rate comes in handy. So once you've done that you need to check if you have a normal distribution. After that you can convert your data points to their natural logs, run a linear regression on them and see if your p-value is significant. If it isn't then you've made your point. If it is a significant p-value it shows that there is a correlation between population size and murder rates.
You can't just flat compare things with different sample sizes. That's what the gov. and media does to try and scare the ignorant ones.

Gun laws are only one element of overall crime rates. Indianapolis, Atlanta, New Orleans, Houston, and Detroit are all high crime cities that are located in shall issue states. New York City (with the exception of Harlem) has a relatively low crime rate and it has some of the worst gun laws in America. I predict that once Illinois does become shall issue, the impact on crime rates in Chicago will be negligible; changing gun laws won't decrease the number of gangbangers and drug dealers who call Chicago home. If we want to decrease gun crime, we need to change the culture; until that's changed, Chicago will continue to have sky-high murder rates, shall issue or not.

Amazing that Hravard comes out w/ a study that goes against every other crime statistic report that has come out even the one done by the Justice dept itself that shows gun control does not reduce crime. Common sense tells us that criminals would rather attack an unarmed citizen than take a chance on getting shot by attacking an armed citizen. Reports from interviews w/ criminals in prison have shown this to be true. The problem is the gun control crows doesn't want to hear the facts that go against their emotional belief that all guns are bad.

I take these studies, and polls with a grain of salt. About 51 years ago, my 8th grade civics/history teacher proved statically that no one in my class had the time to attended school. IMHO this Harvard study did not prove more restrictions are needed on law abiding citizens. It might have proven, accountability, responsibility, and punishment for criminals.

Why do people, especially 2nd Amendment advocates, try to equate gun ownership with crime statistics? The 2A is not about crime!!

The 2A is about the right of the American citizen to be well-regulated (i.e. well-armed) in order to protect their state from attack, especially from the Federal government.

To make it a crime thing, at some point, there will be some crime statistic that doesn't go in our favor and the liberal MSM will be all over it like stink on scheisse. You think the battle over gun control (i.e. people control) is strong now... it'll be ten times worse when this happens.

That is my point with the Alaska, Texas, Arizona, and New York crime rates - 2A rights should not be dependent on crime rates because crime rates are not dependent gun ownership by law abiding citizens.

Crime doesn't go down in strict gun control states, not does it increase in strict gun control states because of strict gun controls laws. Crime doesn't go down in less strict gun control states, nor does it increase in less strict gun control rates.

Trying to tie the two together is so full of holes the opposition has a field day focusing on the faulty logic and then doesn't need to address the critical issues.

We need to talk smarter, not yell louder.

That is my point with the Alaska, Texas, Arizona, and New York crime rates - 2A rights should not be dependent on crime rates because crime rates are not dependent gun ownership by law abiding citizens.

Crime doesn't go down in strict gun control states, not does it increase in strict gun control states because of strict gun controls laws. Crime doesn't go down in less strict gun control states, nor does it increase in less strict gun control rates.

Trying to tie the two together is so full of holes the opposition has a field day focusing on the faulty logic and then doesn't need to address the critical issues.

We need to talk smarter, not yell louder.
I actually agreed with this in the other thread. The authors of that study did too. That's why I quoted them in the other thread saying exactly what you just said. You earlier claim was still debunked. Nice try claiming it as fact though.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back