Harrassed for OC after hunting

On the way home today after hunting, I was stopped by St Croix County deputies for openly carrying my hunting rifle slung on my shoulder, and my shotgun, which was secured and slung across my ALICE pack. I was initially stopped by a very young city LEO who asked me if I was just hunting and how far I had to walk and told me they got a call and started saying something about "uncased long guns" which is total BS, and asked for ID. As we all know, he had to ask, so he had no right to it and I politely declined, citing my need to get home and warm up. He accused me of being guilty of something and I asked him "Am I suspected of having committed a crime?" To which his answer was "ummm". I referenced AG Van Hollen's 2009 advisory memorandum to law enforcement regarding open carry and he was silent. I then asked if i was being detained or was I free to go. He said "just hang on a minute" and I repeated my question more forcefully and he said I was free to go. At that point I began to walk away and got no more than 10 or 20 steps when a county deputy sped over and nearly hit me. She jumped out and told me that they were fielding a lot of calls and people were concerned. I told them "tell them men wearing blaze orange on the third day of deer season are hunters" she then said "we will give you a ride" and would not say where. I refused and told her that I do not trust her enough to accept a ride and that she would in no way get her hands on my guns and walked away. About a mile later she again exhibited her dangerous and aggressive driving and I had to jump into the ditch to.avoid being hit. She then told me "We've been fielding a lot of calls and if we get too many more we're going to have to do something about it.". Me: "like what?". Deputy: "you'll be going to jail.". I told her point blank that I would not be going to jail and that she is violating my 2nd 4th and 5th amendment rights and to stop harrassing me. She followed me for another few miles and I then received a phone call from the deputy chief, which is funny because they claimed I was being suspicious by not showing ID. I repeated my demand that they stop harrassing me which he called a lecture, but he said he would call his deputies and see why they are following me.

I know the Sheriff to be a staunch supporter of the second amendment, I emailed him as he was off duty and he said he would deal with it first thing in the morning.

Oh yeah, started taking pictures and the deputies following me...there was at one time 6 deputies and 2 city LEOS...and they backed waaaay way up. Probably to avoid being photographed.
First picture of Deputy Road Rager following me at a brisk 3 mph...
Link Removed

Second, notice how she backed up while ignoring traffic laws.

Link Removed

Next 2 are views from different angles at the intersection, city LEOs on the hill to the west of me, county on the road to the north.
Link Removed
Link Removed
Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

And the pictures are seemingly out.of order....thx tapatalk...

Funny thing about this is she could have looked at my hunting tags as I walked away and seen my name and address and she could have used the old catch all: "do you have any other weapons" and i would have been forced to reply and show her my CCL and tell her about the 2 concealed handguns I was carrying.
But she was on a personal vendetta driven by emotion and let her anger get the best of her. Lol

It's pretty obvious that the roads were very crowded, thousands of cars, millions of people. About all I can figure is that a crow must have called in the complaint.
Or maybe a deer??

It's pretty obvious that the roads were very crowded, thousands of cars, millions of people. About all I can figure is that a crow must have called in the complaint.
Or maybe a deer??

Maybe Sasquatch called it in. I hear deer are really Squatch dogs.

I would have been sorely tempted to let her car hit me. Just film her coming at you and then hop onto the hood. That would have REALLY brought the rain. I'm assuming she was not going too fast when she forced you over.

This story is why more and more people do not trust the cops. Just more proof they can not be trusted!

Well, it may be. I was just interviewed by the local newspaper on it and that's one of the points I stressed. How can we trust the police when so many violate the very oath they are required to take to gain that employment in the first place?? The reporter said that he did not believe that my rights were violated but I pointed out that tyranny comes in many forms and while I was not arrested or disarmed, I was harrassed and made to feel unsafe and threatened with imprisonment for an act the deputy herself acknowledged was perfectly legal and those actions are oath breakers. I want the police to know that what they did was wrong. There is no gray area here. Just right (me) and wrong (them.)

I would have been sorely tempted to let her car hit me. Just film her coming at you and then hop onto the hood. That would have REALLY brought the rain. I'm assuming she was not going too fast when she forced you over.

Fast enough to put me in a wheelchair.

Fast enough to put me in a wheelchair.

Thanks for the link to this thread. Maybe the radio station you did the interview with has a podcast link? Would be interested in hearing it.

Good job all around. Congrats on getting out alive. I'm guessing you didn't bag anything since you were hoofin' it? Sorry the huntin' wasn't better. Guess you didn't have a tag for wild pork, eh? Link Removed

Blues

Thanks for the link to this thread. Maybe the radio station you did the interview with has a podcast link? Would be interested in hearing it.

Good job all around. Congrats on getting out alive. I'm guessing you didn't bag anything since you were hoofin' it? Sorry the huntin' wasn't better. Guess you didn't have a tag for wild pork, eh? Link Removed

Blues

It was with our town's newspaper, and nope. No deer. When the story gets printed, I'll post a link. Hopefully it doesn't get "edited" too much. WI DNR says to "help control the wild hog population by reporting sightings." I wonder what they would do if I called it in lol

Jeez that tag line made me gag. Johnny Dollar, would you also make the 1st amendment a "privelage?" Remember: better to let everyone think you a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Holy editing hell!

A bit of misinformation as well, probably intentional, about school.zones. It is only a felony if it is a long gun or a handgun carried without a CCL.

Link Removed

At least the Sheriff acknowledged that I was doing nothing wrong and didn't blame me like Knutson did.

The print version wasn't available immediately due to an ice storm, but does me a lot more justice than the online article. It has two headers which make a world of difference to someone just hearing of the incident for the first time.

Under the headline on page 1a, the header reads 'Due diligence or harassment?' And on the continuation on page 2A, ' Sheriff says man walking with guns "was doing absolutely nothing wrong." '. All in all, I guess he was pretty fair to both sides, but without the headers, it can make me look like a troublemaker or activist looking for a confrontation at a glance. And i was actually 1,142 feet from the school property line, but I'll allow them to run with 1,300 because any number over 1,000 is legal and be it 2 feet or 200 feet over the limit, it is legal and therefore redundant.

Link Removed
Letter to the editor made it through unscathed and highlighted my point that was "edited" out of the article. He even fixed my punctuation! Lol

This from the online article:
“He didn’t violate anything, but I think we have a duty to make sure that his intention isn’t the school, and make sure his intention isn’t homicidal or suicidal in nature,” Knudson said. “And once we ascertain that, we’re on our way.”

So all parties involved agree that no laws were broken, no homicidal or suicidal intentions yet they still followed and harassed you until you made it home. The quote should have been:
“He didn’t violate anything, but I think we have a duty to make sure that his intention isn’t the school, and make sure his intention isn’t homicidal or suicidal in nature,” Knudson said. “And once we ascertain that, then we are free to harass any citizen who dares to question our authority then and only then we will be on our way.”

The lady cop was probably foaming at the mouth to find something to arrest you on and just trying to push your buttons. How else can you explain the number of times she tried to engage you. In my experiences it is the female cops that act like they have something to prove. Cheers on handling the situation the way you did.

The article also claims that its a felony to possess a firearm within 1000 feet of a school zone, which isn't true. It's a class B forfeiture, $1000, and not a crime.

Link Removed)

Bigslick, if I didn't stand up to tyranny, it seemed that tyranny would have won the day. It comes in many forms, crooked and aggressive police officers are one of the many reasons I carry a gun. Others would be wise to learn from my experience. It's only going to get worse.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back