Hands free 2 way radio

OldOwl

I'm looking for a hands free two way radio system. I know nothing about them. I just know that when I need both hands on a gun I can't be playing with a hand held radio and don't like the constant squawking and chatter giving away my position.

Any first hand knowledge/experience and link to purchase is appreciated. Thanks.

you need to get a head set that you plug in to the radio. Here is a link for one Link Removed

With this you just plug it into the radio and your hands will be free but you are left with the gear on your head and the wires. You will need voice activated radio or VOX as they call it.

Just look when buying the radios they should have cheaper headsets then the ones in the link.

just look for something with a VOX function, ham radios require a license but there are plenty of FMRS radios out there that will fit your bill...

you need to get a head set that you plug in to the radio. Here is a link for one Link Removed

With this you just plug it into the radio and your hands will be free but you are left with the gear on your head and the wires. You will need voice activated radio or VOX as they call it.

Just look when buying the radios they should have cheaper headsets then the ones in the link.

Sweet! That's more like what I'm looking for. I googled the heck out of it already and only came up with some chincey looking things that I KNOW wouldn't work and would never stay in place. I think that baby will do the job. Thanks.

Depending on its intended use, you may want to consider something a little more low-profile.

Link Removed

A big headset with a microphone boom is going to get in the way and affect your field of vision and it's hard to wear with a gas mask, helmet or other headgear or use a scope. It's not going to work in the rain and you don't want it to get hung up on brush. Better options are going to be pricier, but the best headset is the one you don't leave at home. The M3 and M4 in the link say that they work underwater, so they also should work in the rain.

Also, remember that FMRS is a completely insecure method of communication and easily monitored.

The FRS (UHF) radios are fine for short unsecured communication but as a ham radio operator I can honestly tell you that the ranges many of them boast are pure fantasy. Expect no more than 3 to 5 miles under ideal conditions (line of sight). The antennas on those radios are not worth a crap. The three most important things in radio communications are antenna, antenna, antenna. The so called private channel is nothing more than a coded squelch which does not prevent a third party from hearing you. It will block others from communicating with you unless they are using the same private channel.

If you are wanting to get the most bang out of a walkie-talkie, try any business band (star/dot) VHF or UHF radio that has a removable antenna. There are some units out there that use a BNC antenna connection. Using a small 1/4 wave magnetic mount antenna which is about 14 inches or so for VHF or 5 inches for UHF works wonders. With a one watt radio you can realistically achieve 10 to 15 miles. Still there are better antennas and you could move up to. The FCC has recently relaxed (removed) the registering fee for certain itinerant frequency/channels mostly because people did not register them anyway and with 10's of thousands low power radios sold policing the airwaves became almost impossible. The upside with these radios are they are cheap and has good range if one desired it.

If you want a more secure two-way radio I suggest looking into the TriSquare brand radios. These radios are encrypted and have many counter measures such as random frequency hopping to prevent eavesdropping in case the encryption is cracked. They also operate in the 900 MHZ band (eXRS) and feature 1,000 digital channels. The downside is they still have crap for an antenna but do work better than the FRS radios with stock antennas but still the range is less than 5 miles.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back