Handgun training

JJFlash

I have carried concealed for many years but only recently taken formal training in defensive and tactical handgun strategies. Were my eyes opened! After this training (and I will be taking more), I have completely different physical capabilities and mental mindset. I now consider myself a sheepdog (you know, there are sheep, wolves, and sheepdogs).

I firmly believe all civilians who carry should routinely attend real firearms training schools. I'm talking serious training here, not weekend plinking at the local range. I don't know that I'd legally require this before a person exercises his/her 2nd Amendment rights, but...a person walking around with a gun who has no training, IMO, is only marginally better off than an unarmed civilian.

Any other opinions?

JJFlash

Did you do any force on force training? Just wondering.

I hope to take a defensive handgun this summer. And then some one-on-one for IDPA style for gaming. I won't have my CCW until later this fall.

Anyways, yes. I think drilling and pratice is important. There are different schools of thought on the subject I'm seeing.

Glad you're taking some courses! Good on you.

To date, most of my training has been at Front Sight, which is awesome. I'm also thinking about taking a force on force class with Gabe Suarez in the future. And I'm going to invest is some airsoft equiqment to train with friends.

The biggest eye-opener for most people who attend a formal class is the lectures. The Front Sight lecture on Civil and Criminal Liability changed my entire mindset. I'm far less likely to shoot now than I was before attending the class. I'm also more conscious of avoiding the types of situations that could end with gunfire.

Although my training has been at Front Sight, the other reputable schools (Thunder Ranch, Gunsite, LFI, etc..) also do a great job of improving your skills and keeping you from prison or financial ruin.

It's scary to think I ever carried a gun without this training and knowledge.

I, too, attended Frontsight and I also had the same thought (that I had carried for so many years w/o any formal training). I mentioned this to our range instructor and he remarked that we are our own worst enemy sometimes. That is, we have been screaming for gun-carry rights without really talking much about training. I am convicted now that most concealed carry civilians (myself included prior to training) would be fairly useless in a life or death situation which materialized very rapidly.

JJFlash

I have asked this same question on another forum I frequent. Pretty much asking, how many people have had any training/classes/courses on firearms, etc., since I saw alot of "newbies" talking guns. Alot of them have not.
To reply to your post, after the first year of owning a firearm I have taken a class/course in Personal Protection, Home Protection and Advanced Home Protection. Since, I have been building My own range out in my back yard with plans of continuing my own training with books I have picked up to keep me going. Funds are tight, so I do not see myself taking much more of any Other classes in the near future. I actually had plans for the Wife and Son to take the same courses I took but like I said, funds ar tight right now. At least I'll/We'll have a place to practice shooting and moves, etc.
Anyone who owns a firearm should at least look into taking some kind of class/course. You get ALOT of info out of it. Feed the brain!!!!!!!

Do It Up Right

I firmly believe all civilians who carry should routinely attend real firearms training schools. I'm talking serious training here, not weekend plinking at the local range. I don't know that I'd legally require this before a person exercises his/her 2nd Amendment rights, but...a person walking around with a gun who has no training, IMO, is only marginally better off than an unarmed civilian.

Any other opinions?

JJFlash

I couldn't agree more, and in my training I routinely encounter the armed citizen who believes simply because they own and choose to carry a gun they are somehow "ready" for the fan to be covered in fecal matter.

Simple physiology proves the contrary is true. It really does not matter if you carry a gun, or a knife, or pepper spray, or any other item intended to be used defensively - if you do not train & train effectively with it, you will not have it when you need it. The "adreneline dump" that removes fine motor skills will also trigger your fight or flight switch... which is only programmed to stand & fight (or move to cover, plan and fight) through effective training.

Dynamic shooting exercises, force-on-force, actually drawing your carry gun from your concealment hoslter while concealed - for time, for score... shooting while moving, multiple target engagements, tactical ground fighting... these shouldn't merely be cool aspects of someone else's training... they should be included in the citizen's training who intends to carry concealed - IF they really want to ensure they're ready.

Yes. I agree. A gun without adequate training may or may not remain in your possession for long if you're not truly trained and ready. (Force on Force is a great way to "test" your perception of readiness too.)

I know I'm sounding somewhat self-righteous, here. I've already admitted that I have carried for years w/o any formal firearms training and now that I have I'm stating that anyone who hasn't is at a real disadvantage. Well...we learn from our own mistakes and others, I guess. I'm just glad that I've never had to draw my weapon as I realize now that I stood a good chance of having it used against me or at least having it stuck "where the sun doesn't shine".

In addition to enhancing my firearms handling capabilies, the biggest reward I got from formal training was "mindset". That is, I'm much more aware and comfortable in carry mode, now. In fact, I now carry 24/7 whereas I didn't before. The range masters and instructors I had impressed on us that if we were trained and licensed to carry and didn't, well, then we were doing ourselves, our families, and other civilians a disservice. We're not looking to be heroes (in fact, I would be LESS likely to draw my weapon, now), but if the "fecal matter" hits the fan, Aunt Bea fumbling for the .380 in her purse isn't gonna be much help. But a TRAINED civilian just might be.

So maybe we should share where and how we've been schooled in order to encourage others?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back