Handgun registrations already being rejected in D.C.

tattedupboy

Thank God I'm alive!
Dick Heller, who successfully sued to have Washington, D.C.'s handgun ban overturned, was among the first people in line to get a handgun registered for the first time in 32 years in the District. Here's what happened.

WUSA9.com | Washington, DC | DC Rejects Handgun Application

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The Heller ruling did not make D.C. any less inhospitable for gun owners, and D.C. leaders' attempts to make the gun laws as strict as possible while still being in conformity with the Court ruling are evidence of that. D.C. still has America's worst gun laws.

Can't say I'm all that suprised. The ant-guners got their talons in DC and they don't want to let go. It's going to take a civil rights case to get DC to obey the law.

He says his gun has seven bullet clip.
I'm sure he didn't say "clip" for a handgun.

A spokesman for the DC Police says the gun was a bottom-loading weapon, and according to their interpretation, all bottom-loading guns are outlawed because they are grouped with machine guns.
And I suppose a revolver is a minigun...??

A spokesman for the DC Police says the gun was a bottom-loading weapon, and according to their interpretation, all bottom-loading guns are outlawed because they are grouped with machine guns.
I think this guy is a bottom feeder.

I think this guy is a bottom feeder.

He must be. That was a huge load of crap. "Bottom loading"...

OMG this is so much crap. I am just PO the 2A was up held now do the right thing and give them a gun permit. I feel we have not herd the last of this. I see an other case from Heller. OK I feel better now.

A Small quote, I'm sure it's time to use in D.C.:

"When the government is no longer, for and by the people, then the people shall rise up and overthrow the government"

Looks like it's time.

Since Heller applied to license a revolver which led to the decision by Scotus, and he now tried to register a 1911, I'm willing to bet this was planned on the part of Mr Heller and his representatives at Gura Levy.

I'm assuming we're about to see some more litigation (contempt of SCOTUS?) filed. Washington D.C. local government may end up being the best friend gun rights advocates have had in a very long time.

A Small quote, I'm sure it's time to use in D.C.:

"When the government is no longer, for and by the people, then the people shall rise up and overthrow the government"

Looks like it's time.

it's been time for a while now.. we don't work for them... they work for us. at least that was teh way our founding fathers set it up.

What happens when you take a gun to get registered and they do not like it. ? will it get taken away?They are bottom feeders!

Dick Heller, who successfully sued to have Washington, D.C.'s handgun ban overturned, was among the first people in line to get a handgun registered for the first time in 32 years in the District. Here's what happened.

WUSA9.com | Washington, DC | DC Rejects Handgun Application

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The Heller ruling did not make D.C. any less inhospitable for gun owners, and D.C. leaders' attempts to make the gun laws as strict as possible while still being in conformity with the Court ruling are evidence of that. D.C. still has America's worst gun laws.

The newly passed city laws will get challenged. It's going to take time. Those city officials are not too smart. Crime rates haven't gone down since the handgun ban. They've gone up. The criminals are the only ones who have the handguns. Law abiding citizens are sitting ducks there. California is getting to be like that too.

I have to agree that this may be a strategic move and a smart one at that. Although the SCOTUS decision upheld 2A rights it refused to address local regulation which is being interpreted as "we can do anything to keep it banned". By getting the main plantiff denied immediately it certainly looks like contempt and may well get SCOTUS to revisit their order and conceivably place more restictions on the regulations of local government.

I have to respect that these lawyers apparently won but feel they lost, so they are going to keep on pushing until the job is done!

Wish them luck, give them support!

Don't forget about the DCGunCase.com website. Here is the latest blog posting there from Alan Gura. I think it says a lot, especially if you read between the lines...

Clearing the Air

July 18th, 2008 by Alan Gura

There’s been some confusion about how the Supreme Court’s decision is to be implemented, and what it means for DC’s registration system, going forward. We’d like to clear the air.

The handgun that Mr. Heller tried to register in 2002, the registration of which was ordered by the courts, is a nine-shot revolver. It is fully registerable under D.C. law as it stands today, and Mr. Heller will have it registered to him. We are not expecting the city to resist the registration of this firearm. Once the gun is registered to Mr. Heller, he can use it to defend his home.

There are significant, practical limits on the number of arguments that can be put together in one lawsuit. In our case, we chose to focus on the handgun and functional firearms bans – and that was plenty work for the courts to consider. Litigants do not have unlimited space in the briefing, or unlimited time in argument, and there is a significant strategic advantage – as we have demonstrated – in keeping constitutional litigation focused and narrow.

That does not mean that the rest of the D.C. Code with respect to firearms is constitutional. Much of it is not. But the entire code was not directly at issue in our case. It is our hope that Mayor Fenty and the City Council, or Congress, if the Mayor and City Council are unwilling to do so, sit down with their code books and the Supreme Court’s opinion, and make a serious effort to conform the former to the latter. If the political branches do not make the city’s firearm laws constitutional, then as we’ve seen, the courts will do it for them.

However, the judgment in this case relates only to the provisions that were struck down, and the city appears to be complying with the literal command of the judgment. Again, we do not believe that everything the city is doing is constitutional. Some of the city’s registration practices are clearly unconstitutional, as is the semi-auto ban. But these are not issues that can be resolved in the context of the current case.

The Supreme Court’s decision is a smashing victory for liberty, and it has made immediate practical impact on the Second Amendment rights of Washington, D.C. residents. Mr. Heller will have his handgun, lawfully, at home, and he can use it for self-defense should the need arise. That was the object of the case, and it has succeeded. We will continue to monitor the city’s behavior for compliance with the decision. And we are sure that in due time, all of the city’s unconstitutional practices will be altered, one way or another.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back