Handgun Purchasing in WA

BradenMcC12

Hey guys,

New poster here so I apologize if this has been asked before.

I am looking to buy a handgun either from a gun shop or gun show. No felonies, 23 years old, WA license.

The question here is would it be easier to just get a ccp before hand and be able to walk out same day with the hand gun or just buy without? Also, can I buy in Oregon to get away from the sales tax?
Any answers or info are appreciated!

Thanks,

Others that are actually from WA (I am not) may give you more detailed advice.

Inform yourself about your state's laws and the federal laws regarding purchasing a handgun here: NRA-ILA | Washington, ATF | Unlicensed Persons and Handgunlaw.us | Washington. Inform yourself about the process and paperwork involved.

As far as I know, a WA Concealed Pistol License (CPL) can not be used to purchase a firearm in WA state. Having one may or may not speed up the background check.

As far as I know, WA state has universal background checks, i.e., no matter from whom or where in WA you get your handgun, you have to go to a federally licensed firearms dealer (with a Federal Firearms License (FFL)) and file the background check paperwork to legally complete the transfer.

Federal law prohibits taking possession of a purchased handgun outside your state of residence. You can purchase a handgun outside your state of residence, but it has to be shipped to a FFL in your state, where you complete the background check and the transfer. It is common practice to purchase firearms from online dealers, such as www.deguns.net (I randomly picked one that I used before), and have them shipped to a local FFL for the background check and transfer. The local FFL usually assesses a fee of $10-$30 for that.

As for the time it takes to complete the background check, it can take minutes, hours or days. It usually takes me longer filling out ATF Form 4473 than to pass the background check. The longest I waited was 40 minutes though.

Hey guys,

New poster here so I apologize if this has been asked before.

I am looking to buy a handgun either from a gun shop or gun show. No felonies, 23 years old, WA license.

The question here is would it be easier to just get a ccp before hand and be able to walk out same day with the hand gun or just buy without? Also, can I buy in Oregon to get away from the sales tax?
Any answers or info are appreciated!

Thanks,
Short answer: carry permit makes no deference either way.

Long answer: Pick your state on this map and read THE ENTIRE THING: Handgunlaw.us

Would you like an answer now from a Washington State resident who knows the law?

1. In Washington it is not a CCP. It is a CPL - Concealed Pistol License.

2. Whether you buy from a gun shop or a gun show or from a private individual, the sale must go through an FFL and you must pass background check(s) before taking possession of the firearm.

3. Since you are purchasing a handgun the CPL does make a difference. When you purchase a handgun in Washington State there is an additional form you complete in addition to the standard Federal 4473. It is the WA State background check form. If you have a CPL, the FFL records your CPL number on the form, calls for the standard NICS check, and if NICS says proceed you walk out the door with your handgun. If you do not have a CPL, the FFL holds the handgun for up to ten days, sends the WA State form to the chief LEO in their jurisdiction and they run a state background check on you in addition to the Federal NICS check.

So, if you are going to purchase more than 1 handgun and want to avoid the ten day wait - then the CPL is good to have for the purchase process.

You can purchase a handgun in Oregon, but it will have to be shipped to a Washington state FFL for transfer to you and you owe the WA state use tax on it, equivalent to the sales tax rate.

RCW 9.41 is the firearms chapter of Washington State Law.

Also, check the law as currently written: that wait can take up to 30 days, at the discretion of your local cop shop. A friend of mine here in Bellingham bought a pistol in Ferndale, and waited the full 30 days before he was allowed to take possession, courtesy of the B'ham PD.

Also, check the law as currently written: that wait can take up to 30 days, at the discretion of your local cop shop. A friend of mine here in Bellingham bought a pistol in Ferndale, and waited the full 30 days before he was allowed to take possession, courtesy of the B'ham PD.

Well, it isn't totally at the discretion of the local cop shop. This is the law:

(4) In any case where the chief or sheriff of the local jurisdiction has reasonable grounds based on the following circumstances: (a) Open criminal charges, (b) pending criminal proceedings, (c) pending commitment proceedings, (d) an outstanding warrant for an offense making a person ineligible under RCW 9.41.040 to possess a pistol, or (e) an arrest for an offense making a person ineligible under RCW 9.41.040 to possess a pistol, if the records of disposition have not yet been reported or entered sufficiently to determine eligibility to purchase a pistol, the local jurisdiction may hold the sale and delivery of the pistol up to thirty days in order to confirm existing records in this state or elsewhere. After thirty days, the hold will be lifted unless an extension of the thirty days is approved by a local district court or municipal court for good cause shown. A dealer shall be notified of each hold placed on the sale by local law enforcement and of any application to the court for additional hold period to confirm records or confirm the identity of the applicant.

If the LEA is going to exercise the 30 day hold, it needs to be for one of the reasons stated above - not just because they are anti-2A a$$es. If I was the victim of a 30 day hold, I think I would be filing a FOIA request to find out what in my record was erroneously causing the LEA concern.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back