handgun class

burchesss

My wife and I went to the first part of are 4 day NRA handgun class on thursday. There was a lot of review especially for me(Ive grown up around guns and know how to tell a single action from a double action...) But so far I have been very pleased with the class. The Instructors have done a good job of presenting the information so that they keep it interesting for the ones who have a stronger back ground,without leaving the new shooters behind. Before I get acused of thinking I know everything let me add that I did learn alot and look forward to the remaining 2 classes and range time.
Shame on me, I have always spoiled my wife by often loading, cleaning, and helping her a little too much. I still want to help, but its good that she is learning to be more hands on. She also enjoys "doing it all herself" In some ways I think She has an advantage with less experiance, she wont have to break as many bad habits.
I guess my reason for posting this is to say if you are lucky enough to have a spouse who shares a love for safe fun shooting, enjoy it together. And be sure they can handle the gun if you are not their when seconds count. Looking forward to getting our permits, hope we never need them.

Glad to hear that you're learning something at the class. I'm sure that while the class is learning, so are the instructors. I learn something new everytime I teach a class.

gf

Handgun Class

I have to agree with Glock Fan. I learn something new from my students with every class I teach. I'm also having more and more women taking classes to obtain their concealed carry permit.

Most women do really well in the classroom and at the range. They usually don't have any bad habits when it comes to shooting; and they are very attentive in the classroom.

My wife has her CHL and I don't have any trouble getting here to go and shoot. She may not get the pleasure out of shooting that some do but she understands the need to train and does not object. It is good that your wife is developing more skills herself. She may be called on to use what she is learning and practicing someday when you are there.

I am glad you are enjoying the class. I think it is great that your wife is going with you. I got my wife into shooting about a year ago. She now owns a Taurus 38 snubby and a Springfield XD9 subcompact. I feel a lot better about her safety when I am not around. She started out a very good shot. It just seems that women can shoot better than men instinctively.

You guy's are lucky, my wife could care less about shooting or carry but she has no problem with me doing so. she grew up in a house with all sisters and her dad didn't hunt. after the first couple of hand guns she finally got used to me having them. I do take the kids to the range so they can learn and I hunt with my son. unless something changes I can not see her taking a ccw class.

Thanks, there are 2 other women in the class of about 15. And one female instructor. I was glad to see that my wife was not the only one. I wanted her to feel comfortable, but i dont think she cared. She has always shown intrest in guns. But had only shot a few times before I enterd the picture, she started shooting with me when we were dating and killed her first deer this nov. I cant say she is as "obsesed" But she enjoys the sports of shooting and hunting and we both love the time together.

I learned the lesson of not doing everything for my wife through mountain bike racing. When we were training, I would always fix her flat tires. This really backfired when she had a flat in a 25 mile race with only 2 miles to the finish. She didn't have a clue about fixing the flat, so she had to run with her bike for the 2 miles. I felt really bad (and she wasn't too happy).

So, I vowed to not let that happen with shooting, where not knowing how to fix a problem can have far more dire consequences.

You guy's are lucky, my wife could care less about shooting or carry but she has no problem with me doing so. she grew up in a house with all sisters and her dad didn't hunt. after the first couple of hand guns she finally got used to me having them. I do take the kids to the range so they can learn and I hunt with my son. unless something changes I can not see her taking a ccw class.

If she won't take a CCW class, at minimum she should take some type of firearms safety class. The NRA recommends that all adults in the house have some type of firearms training. Never know when your wife will need to handle the firearms. You would want her to be able to be able to safely and properly unload the firearm(s) and secure them properly for transport and/or storage.

gf

If she won't take a CCW class, at minimum she should take some type of firearms safety class. The NRA recommends that all adults in the house have some type of firearms training. Never know when your wife will need to handle the firearms. You would want her to be able to be able to safely and properly unload the firearm(s) and secure them properly for transport and/or storage.

gf

I will have to work on that, somethings are essayer said than done. she does have a couple of GSD's she does a lot of training with so at least we have them for home or traveling. bought her pepper spray to have didn't want that either. I've got my work cutout for me.

I agree with glock fan on the safety class if our government was smart it would be mandatory part of public schools. Too many curious kids dont know how to check a gun, even if there are no guns at home or if they are stored safely, what about the house next door at some point the child may find a gun. I am not talking about teaching them to shoot(but personaly dont think it would be a bad elective class) Just how to be safe if a friend says "look what i found in dads room" Hopefully Dad would have taken the in school class and safely stored the gun out of reach

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back