Hand gun for my wife to carry

zx14rfun

My wife and I have our conceal and carry. We live in Hot Springs, AR. I was thinking about getting her a Sig P238 for a carry gun. I would like to get some input from some ladies what they like to carry.

Thank,

Doug

I prefer to shoot a Glock 27, but I'm small framed so I carry a Ruger LCP. It's easier to conceal and I don't have to put it in my purse to do so. I don't like shooting it because of the recoil, but its a carry gun not a range gun and if I have to you better believe I will shoot it. Also Kimber has a new one called a solo it's a 9mm I haven't been able to see one yet though, so I don't know how concealable it is. I hope this helps you our some.

Wife's handgun

I have the Sig Sauer P238 380acp and like it alot. But don't think it would make a good carry weapon for your wife because it is a single action pistol. That means you must either carry it with the hammer back with the saftey on with a round in the chamber or pull back the hammer when you draw the gun, or carry without a load in the chamber and pull the slide back when drawing the gun.The hammer is small and not easy to pull back in an emergency when seconds count.The LCP Ruger or the Kel Tec P3AT are DAO and small,easy to conceal. Take a look at S&W's 642 38spl. revolver. No hammer,no saftey,can be shot from the inside of a coat pocket if need be.The 642 is the gun of choice for a back-up gun of most police officers I have talked to.My wife carries a Glock 19 most of the time but in the summer when it's to hard to conceal she carries a LCP.

My wife and I have our conceal and carry. We live in Hot Springs, AR. I was thinking about getting her a Sig P238 for a carry gun. I would like to get some input from some ladies what they like to carry.

Thank,

Doug

The best thing you can do is take her to the gun store/range and let her look at handle/shoot the firearms she thinks she might like to carry. I was in the same boat as you, wanted to get my wife a carry firearm so she could carry. Ended up buying/selling three firearms before she picked the one she wanted to carry everyday. Started with a small Bersa 380 with crimson trace grips, Ruger LCR 38SPL etc.. She ended up picking the Ruger SR9C as her carry firearm. For Christmas this year I'm getting the slide duracoated pink for her(she has been bugging me to do it for a while now.) Also having a Ka-bar TDI painted pink, putting together her pink EDC kit. Knife's,flashlight's,pepper spray,tactical pen etc..

The LCP,LC9,LCR,kel tec p380,Sig,S&W body guard,Spikes tactical 37mm flare/smoke launcher(JOKING)etc... They are are vary good firearms

S&WM&P40:231875 said:

Thank,

Doug

The best thing you can do is take her to the gun store/range and let her look at handle/shoot the firearms she thinks she might like to carry. I was in the same boat as you, wanted to get my wife a carry firearm so she could carry. Ended up buying/selling three firearms before she picked the one she wanted to carry everyday. Started with a small Bersa 380 with crimson trace grips, Ruger LCR 38SPL etc.. She ended up picking the Ruger SR9C as her carry firearm. For Christmas this year I'm getting the slide duracoated pink for her(she has been bugging me to do it for a while now.) Also having a Ka-bar TDI painted pink, putting together he pink EDC kit. Knife's,flashlight's,pepper spray,tactical pen etc..

The LCP,LC9,LCR,kel tec p380,Sig,S&W body guard,Spikes tactical 37mm flare/smoke launcher(JOKING)etc... They are are vary good firearms

My wife also wanted the pink on her firearm, however I talked her out if it, I dont want them thinking its a toy gun, and with my LE experience, I have seen this as a very poor idea.... Just my .02

Sig's 232 is 380 and double action. No seperate safety to worry about. Slide is a bit strong but easily pulled by most ladies.

Like Greg said a revolver is a great choice for concealed carry for both men and woman. I think we all got caught up in the cool factor of semi autos that we pushed revolvers to the side but being a strong gun in a small package with no slide to rack and very concealable is a good choice

My wife also wanted the pink on her firearm, however I talked her out if it, I dont want them thinking its a toy gun, and with my LE experience, I have seen this as a very poor idea.... Just my .02

Who would 'THEM" be? The police? The Thugs? Your wife? Your kids? I see nothing wrong with painting a firearm as long as you still respect it and follow the basic rules of firearm safety.

Like Greg said a revolver is a great choice for concealed carry for both men and woman. I think we all got caught up in the cool factor of semi autos that we pushed revolvers to the side but being a strong gun in a small package with no slide to rack and very concealable is a good choice

They are outstanding firearms, but you have to deal with the bulge of the cylinder. For small framed ladies this can be a deal breaker.

Just got my wife a P238

She does not carry yet but will be in a couple of weeks.

She loves the gun' it handles very well for being that small

Since the hammer is out in the open, she was a little shy because can see that it is cocked. Once I pointed out that mine was cocked as well she realized it was not an issue

She also likes the customizable grips. As I sure you are aware, it has to match the shoes ;-)

My wife carries the Lcp. She enjoys shooting my 238 much better (sights, trigger, slide racking, less recoil), but didn't feel comfortable carrying a 1911 cocked and locked. It takes a lot more practice to be proficient safely with a cocked and locked. Comfort, that's what's important.

What does your wife feel is the most comfortable to use?

I have a sig p238 that I carry and I absolutely love it. I am 5'8" about 145 lbs. I wear it in an IWB holster and I have shot and practiced with it so much, I am comfortable wearing it cocked and locked. I have also practice a lot without one in the chamber, racking the slide on the draw. I love my sig.

Ditto - I am very happy with my Sig P238 as a BUG.

Most important, though, is for the man to get out of the way in this process. A gun is a personal tool. The woman must choose the tool that makes the most sense for her purposes. If she can attend a Women on Target class by the NRA - a gun safety and familiarization course - it would be extremely helpful.

Thank you for all the input. I appreciate all the very valid points made. Some of which I had not thought of. I will have to take my wife to look at the hand guns again with these point in mind. Thank you again.

Doug

My wife loves her Walther PK380. Ergo's are great. She has close to 1000 rounds through with about 3 FTE, which could be due to my hand load.

New Threads

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back