Half of gun deaths are suicides.

Does a rational human have the right to end their own life?

• No! Death is the end result of birth.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but it is a selfish way that leaves my loved ones to suffer.

• How fast can I relocate to Oregon?

• I belive in reincarnation, so I will live again.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Canis-Lupus

For any EMT, cop, medic or person who has worked in an ER, or as a 1st responder this is something we knew about as normal, but now decades and million$ in research have proven that 1/2 of all deaths in the U.S. caused by GSW (guns) are self inflicted and 90% of each attempt works. Guns do kill people, and many times that is just what they want, or even beg for.
Don't bother moving to OR and waiting, a shooter puts an end to life by personal choice as much as any methed-out homicidal BG does to someone who has no desire to die and every reason to live. So much for all the blame on BG's, it's the way 50% of all deaths by guns are caused, and easily the fastest. But anti-2nd pundits are screaming: "SEE WE TOLD YOU!", real busy patting themselves on their backs claiming that if there were no privately owned firearms then suicides by gun-shot would go away, yet fail to realize that a determined person who seeks out death will find it maybe by the bullets shot from LEO's guns or so many other ways posted all over the net on E-Z to obtain or create non-gun end games. As a child in London it was common to read that the natural gas used for cooking in every home was a VERY common way for suicidal neighbors to end their lives, that is just a fact not ANY form of suggestion in a nation where pistols were not even available. In 10 years on my slummy street I counted 25 who chose that method, mostly old and very sick and very poor souls. Do you need to be a mentally deranged person to off yourself? Well that helps, but try: "That 2 packs of smokes U have been inhaling for the last 40 years is going to make the next 6 months of your life the most excruciatingly painful constant event you have ever dreamed of and each day it will hurt more and we can't do a damn thing about it, you will die of it Mr. F." (The words my uncle were told at age 59, but even though he was USAF retired and owned several pistols), BUT the life-insurance policy he had to help a wife and 5 kids who anguished with him hid his guns as the policy did not pay off on suicides and his estate was in 9-figures, so we watched him spiral down into a terrible failed radical chemo-ed out end in a hospital room bed. I think a person has the right to choose the moment of his or her death when there is no quality of life left, no hope of a cure and unbearable, protracted and worsening agony is the only other legal choice. There are as many reasons why those who have lost the will to live choose the fastest way I can think of to check out of not only their misery but the effects it has on those who love that person most and watch them suffer more each day. Does someone really love another that much they want to be part of every minute of that poor sods remaining life, then inevitable and agonizing death just to be around him/her when death comes? No and yet yes, I guess each case has it's own intricacies. I dilemma I faced at age 41 when I lost my own mother to lupus at age 69. Near the end weighing 80lbs she cried out for someone to end her pain, nothing the docs gave her even worked, it took a week of more pain than I had ever seen anyone endure before it finally took her, the hardest week of my life watching it get worse but too attached to her to facilitate her passing. The day she passed I was relieved she suffered no more, the misery of her loss came later, HARD. I was filled with the self-doubt that consumes so many others faced with that end-game situation. Do you have the will to end the pain of a loved one and then face the consequences if found guilty of causing that death, or go with it even if there were no consequences/evidence of foul play, and 'natural death' was on the death certificate? But a fact U had 2 live with all of your living days after the event. Rhetorical question only! DO NOT ANSWER THAT NOR POST INTENT ON THIS GROUP!!!! If that loved one is a dog we would act humanely, or be judged cruel. How dare I compare a human to a canine? For an old single person who has loved their only dog for 20+ years there are obvious similarities without legal ramifications. Had I owned a gun then, I am not sure if I would be posting this to USA-Carry or still be doing life in San Quintan. I acted the way the law said I must and cursed that law! So back when I did drink alcohol I just climbed into a bottle and pulled the cork in on top of me to numb the pain & helplessness that consumed me. Pro-lifers will probably send me e-mail bombs for that statement, but it is easy to sit around debating the ethics of life and death and a person's right to choose or suffer, it is a whole different ball-game when the Reaper comes for you and takes his time getting there. Enough of my take on the subject, what follows is a fact, 1/2 of all deaths caused by guns in the U.S. are suicides!

Canis-Lupus

ATLANTA - © AP
The Supreme Court's landmark ruling on gun ownership last week focused on citizens' ability to defend themselves from intruders in their homes. But research shows that surprisingly often, gun owners use the weapons on themselves. Suicides accounted for 55 percent of the nation's nearly 31,000 firearm deaths in 2005, the most recent year for which statistics are available from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. There was nothing unique about that year — gun-related suicides have outnumbered firearm homicides and accidents for 20 of the last 25 years. In 2005, homicides accounted for 40 percent of gun deaths. Accidents accounted for 3 percent. The remaining 2 percent included legal killings, such as when police do the shooting, and cases that involve undetermined intent. Public-health researchers have concluded that in homes where guns are present, the likelihood that someone in the home will die from suicide or homicide is much greater. Studies have also shown that homes in which a suicide occurred were three to five times more likely to have a gun present than households that did not experience a suicide, even after accounting for other risk factors. In a 5-4 decision, the high court on Thursday struck down a handgun ban enacted in the District of Columbia in 1976 and rejected requirements that firearms have trigger locks or be kept disassembled. The ruling left intact the district's licensing restrictions for gun owners. One public-health study found that suicide and homicide rates in the district dropped after the ban was adopted. The district has allowed shotguns and rifles to be kept in homes if they are registered, kept unloaded and taken apart or equipped with trigger locks. The American Public Health Association, the American Association of Suicidology and two other groups filed a legal brief supporting the district's ban. The brief challenged arguments that if a gun is not available, suicidal people will just kill themselves using other means. More than 90 percent of suicide attempts using guns are successful, while the success rate for jumping from high places was 34 percent. The success rate for drug overdose was 2 percent, the brief said, citing studies. "Other methods are not as lethal," said Jon Vernick, co-director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy and Research in Baltimore. The high court's majority opinion made no mention of suicide. But in a dissenting opinion, Justice Stephen Breyer used the word 14 times in voicing concern about the impact of striking down the handgun ban. "If a resident has a handgun in the home that he can use for self-defense, then he has a handgun in the home that he can use to commit suicide or engage in acts of domestic violence," Breyer wrote. Researchers in other fields have raised questions about the public-health findings on guns. Gary Kleck, a researcher at Florida State University's College of Criminology and Criminal Justice, estimates there are more than 1 million incidents each year in which firearms are used to prevent an actual or threatened criminal attack. Public-health experts have said the telephone survey methodology Kleck used likely resulted in an overestimate. Both sides agree there has been a significant decline in the last decade in public-health research into gun violence. The CDC traditionally was a primary funder of research on guns and gun-related injuries, allocating more than $2.1 million a year to such projects in the mid-1990s. But the agency cut back research on the subject after Congress in 1996 ordered that none of the CDC's appropriations be used to promote gun control. Vernick said the Supreme Court decision underscores the need for further study into what will happen to suicide and homicide rates in the district when the handgun ban is lifted. Today, the CDC budgets less than $900,000 for firearm-related projects, and most of it is spent to track statistics. The agency no longer funds gun-related policy analysis.
On the Net:
CDC gun injury statistics: Link Removed

Last edited:
More 1-liner blogs.

kwo51
Hospice have their place, I worked with them on many terminal patients, mostly on the postmortem [taxi] ambulance services that didn't pull into the ER bay, but cruised into the basement where the dead are stored. Isn't USA carry about guns (concealed or as a base theme for it's very presence on the WWW?), and U found nothing worthy of comment in the fact that 1/2 of all U.S. GSW deaths are suicides? I sure wasn't aware that 50% of all U.S. guns deaths are self inflicted, and would have guessed maybe 30% tops even after 2 decades in the trade.
If you want a point out of my post I would guess that prior to reading it maybe you did know that 1/2 of all gun shot fatalities in these United States are self-inflicted or SUICIDES. If you did know that fact then consider yourself a well informed man. The post was designed to factually state that many have no clue about 50% of gun deaths are self-inflicted & (maybe) enlighten the patrons of USA Carry who may live out the misconception that in the U.S., excluding active-duty who have a high % of they own stats on suicides per branch, domestic gun deaths are the domain of cops, B.G's and armed citizenry or consider yourself very savvy if you even knew that 1-million incidents per year do involve trading lead with armed citizens and BG's, not cops and robbers. The report made news the day I posted it, not dug up from some archive, they call that current news reporting which you must have read around the time I did if that fact didn't at least surprise you.
Loving those 1-liners that make some point 2 someone, but not me.
Drop it, if you don't think that is worthy of a post then just ignore it without stating the obvious support mechanisms (Hospice is but 1) in place for those who just let nature run it's course.
I'll try to keep my posts to heroic CC citizens legally shooting plenty of BG's, much more fun reading those than boring old stats I guess.
Sheeeesh!

Canis-Lupus

And your point was.

Glad im not the only one who has trouble deciphering his posts. This thread could have been summed up in about 10 sentences tops...

"A new study shows half of all gun deaths are self inflicted in attempt to commit suicide. In my life i have known about 25 people who have used guns to commit suicide. Its hard to watch someone live in pain waiting for the end, which i expeienced with my mother. How would you react if you were in pain/ or had to watch a loved one in pain waiting for the end to come? Check out this link i found <insert link> from the CDC website with some great stats about gun related fatalities in America.
Luv, C-L"

Thats all it takes, people dont have the time or patience to sort through your biographical posts to decipher your meanings, hell it took me 20 mins to decipher what i did, (which may not be %100 correct, you can correct me if im wrong). From what i remember of my college English/Writing classes, the key to good writing is summing up alot of details, yet still being able to paint a picture for your audience, if you lose your audience half way through your story your effort is in vain.

Just my 2 cents, even though you probably can't see this cuz im on your "hurt my feelings list" aka your "kill file."

No Probs.
No mate, I get long winded and I DO agree that I am wrong to expect the same from any USA Patron. Please forgive any offense given or implied. It's just my desire to learn as much as I can from fellow patrons who have a vast knowledge base on weapons, laws and real-world CCW incidents that have one common theme, the 2nd Amendment and the liberty to carry concealed legally.
I help out where I can if I have a referenced response to the areas others post questions about that I have solid feedback on.
Yes I draw on my own life experience, it has been one hell of a learning and ongoing experience that started in a nation where what we take as a right here, is called a serious crime there! I've been around and never lived in one place more than 7 years in 51 years of life.
I'm not a PhD or anyone special and what I post may not be the best way to go, that's where something better than 1-liner replies helps educate me, correct my flaws in what others know much better than I ever will, and all who view that thread learn too. Not just slap up 1 patron's snappy come-back, when they probably could add some more to the thread if it's an area they are way-savvy about. I have learnt more in 5 months from USA Carry about guns, CCW laws, the folks who use them and folks who have been victimized by them than 20-years in service and 11 more as a Vet ever taught me. IMHO our patrons who have centuries of accumulated expertise that I lack make this place shine, and I do get more info on the 'CCW lifestyle' than I've ever got from any other single web-site or group of people in 1 easy to access web-site where the patrons go from experts to novices, and nearly every post teaches me something new.
I post long winded because I have many years of experience in quite a few areas from guns to medicine to computers to a military career and some strong feelings about those who would take our 2nd and shred it, but USA Carry is NOT a sounding board for every bit of wisdom I've picked-up along the way. I need to check that desire to pass all that info on, and refrain from turning USA Carry into pages of useless 'me-oriented' chatter.
I was told my Technicolor HTML posts were hard on patrons eyes, so I cut 'em out a week later. I'll try to format ANCOC style writing styles: BLUF: Bottom Line Up Front and leave out the extraneous verbiage, 'K?
I seek no confrontations on USA Carry and my ways or voluminous posts are NOT always what patrons need to struggle thru. For that reason alone I'll cut it back.
That's all M8.

Canis-Lupus

Last edited:
........From what i remember of my college English/Writing classes, the key to good writing is summing up alot of details, yet still being able to paint a picture for your audience, if you lose your audience half way through your story your effort is in vain......

Looks like someone can use a refresher course in the English language. I learned back in the third grade that "a lot" is two words, not one.

If you're gonna cast stones, be sure you don't live in a glass house. Might you consider taking some lessons in being "tactful" while taking that refresher English class?

gf

Looks like someone can use a refresher course in the English language. I learned back in the third grade that "a lot" is two words, not one.

If you're gonna cast stones, be sure you don't live in a glass house. Might you consider taking some lessons in being "tactful" while taking that refresher English class?

gf

thats the best you could come up with to defend your boyfriend? Come on, get real. Might you consider getting a life!

I have noticed a trend that we are getting a lot of condeming others more than posting something helpful. Perhnaps we should follow the rule "if you can't say something good about some one say nothing at all".l

Well LiquidG has just been banned as I have again this morning received emails from people complaining about his posts toward other members. I will not tolerate this at all. I don't care if it fair or not. I have been told well that's not really free speech then, etc. Well this is how I am running the site. I don't want people fighting with each other or flaming back and forth. I am busy enough as it is trying to keep the site going on my spare time which hasn't been much lately and I really don't have time to deal with this childish stuff.

After this post I am adding this as the #1 rule of the site:
If you can't say something good about some one say nothing at all.

Well LiquidG has just been banned as I have again this morning received emails from people complaining about his posts toward other members. I will not tolerate this at all. I don't care if it fair or not. I have been told well that's not really free speech then, etc. Well this is how I am running the site. I don't want people fighting with each other or flaming back and forth. I am busy enough as it is trying to keep the site going on my spare time which hasn't been much lately and I really don't have time to deal with this childish stuff.

After this post I am adding this as the #1 rule of the site:
If you can't say something good about some one say nothing at all.

Well I totally agree with the rule of respecting each other and note flamming people all the time.

However.....

Liquid challenged alot of the posts people left, and I think that is why he was banned. He went against the grain for what alot of you believe in, and you dont like that. I dont agree 100% for the way he went about things, but censoring and banning him is along the same premise for what you guys fight to eliminate. If he was obnoxious and annoying....let him be that way. We are all here for the same reason and just because Liquid did things different, does not mean he should be kicked.

I hope you all are as open minded as I am when it comes to matters such as this.

TN

Last edited:
Well I totally agree with the rule of respecting each other and note flaming people all the time.

However.....

Liquid challenged a lot of the posts people left, and I think that is why he was banned. He went against the grain for what a lot of you believe in, and you dont like that. I dont agree 100% for the way he went about things, but censoring and banning him is along the same premise for what you guys fight to eliminate. If he was obnoxious and annoying....let him be that way. We are all here for the same reason and just because Liquid did things different, does not mean he should be kicked.

I hope you all are as open minded as I am when it comes to matters such as this.

TN

I can not speak for Luke and will not try but I don't feel he was banned for disagreeing with others. It is o.k. to disagree. None of us here agree with each other all the time. However I do think we should try and refrain from a lot of name calling and personal attacks. Also if there is a poster that you have a problem with, the way they post, or spell or whatever just ignore the post. This is a family forum with men, women and children reading the threads. Lets all try to act like mature adults and be a little courteous to others here. I will take my on advise and try to watch the things I say also and if any of you observe me getting a little over the top give me a reminder. I may need it from time to time. I will appreciate it because I don't want to offend others if I can help it.

Lets put it to a vote!

I'll Start a new thread and let's put Liquid G to a vote.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back