Had an interesting moment today

Rick O'Shay

I was sitting outside High Point Coffee on Union in Memphis today about 12:15 drinking coffee and reading a book. Behind me I heard some yelling all of a sudden. I turned and looked, and there was an obvious thug standing beside his car in the middle of the parking lot yelling obscenities at the cell phone store next to the coffee shop. That struck me as curious because the place was closed. Maybe someone was in there working or something but I never saw anyone. Anyway, I am now keeping an eye on the guy, and watch him reach into his car and pull out a length of pipe. He continued to yell threatening comments at the store and started walking towards it. This is when I stood up, grabbed my cell phone and was heading into the coffee shop. He looked over at me as I neared the front door holding my cell phone open. He immediately turned around, jumped into his car and drove off. As he drove off he yelled something at me I didn't catch. At no point did I remotely come close to feeling I had to draw my pistol, but the ole adrenalin really started to kick in. I wasn't able to get a tag number, so I didn't bother to call the police, but I did warn the employees at the coffee shop to keep an eye out for him and his car - a tan El Camino.

You should always call the police. I woke up to my dogs barking one night (and they rarely barked at night) and looked out front. There was an El Camino with two guys in our circle. One got out and was checking the back of my next door neighbor's kid's truck(the kid cleaned pools commercially). I yelled at them, the guy in the El Camino took off leaving the other guy, the other guy ran like mad came too close to a neighbor's garage and the automatic light came on, he veered (probably wet his pants) and went running down the cross street.

I later talked to a cop and mentioned I didn't call the cops because I couldn't identify them and didn't have a plate number. He let me know that the call could have given probable cause to stop an El Camino and search it. So I screwed up. Always call the cops.

Rick,
Glad the situation went as well as it did. Jim gives good advice. Call the police with as much info as you can provide.

Last edited:
You should always call the police. I woke up to my dogs barking one night (and they rarely barked at night) and looked out front. There was an El Camino with two guys in our circle. One got out and was checking the back of my next door neighbor's kid's truck(the kid cleaned pools commercially). I yelled at them, the guy in the El Camino took off leaving the other guy, the other guy ran like mad came too close to a neighbor's garage and the automatic light came on, he veered (probably wet his pants) and went running down the cross street.

I later talked to a cop and mentioned I didn't call the cops because I couldn't identify them and didn't have a plate number. He let me know that the call could have given probable cause to stop an El Camino and search it. So I screwed up. Always call the cops.

Fair enough. Since then I have been wondering whether I should have or not. Frankly a big part of why I didn't was because I had a date to meet a girl at the range at 1 PM. No excuse really but I knew I would have been standing there, waiting on the cops forever. This is Memphis you understand.

a big part of why I didn't was because I had a date to meet a girl at the range at 1 PM.

A girl at the range always has priority but in this case all it would take is a phone call.

No excuse really but I knew I would have been standing there, waiting on the cops forever

No reason to wait. All you had was a little information. Give them that and your phone number and they can reach you if they have any need to.

Good job being heads up on the situation! Better to be in "Condition Yellow" than be a sheep of opportunity for some thug! I agree with always calling the police. There's always a chance my info can be of some use before the thugs commit their next crime.

Ah, Memphis, my old hometown.

I left Memphis in the early nineties. My last apartment was on South Cleveland near the intersection of Union Avenue. Needless to say, I saw a few..... interesting incidents in my old neighborhood. Oh, I miss midtown!

+1 on the range date!

Be careful!

Living a 30 second walk from Krystal (provided it is still there) proved to be dangerous to my waistband. "Dressing" my roast beef sandwiches at the Danvers across the street didn't help, either. Give MEmphis!

Living a 30 second walk from Krystal (provided it is still there) proved to be dangerous to my waistband. "Dressing" my roast beef sandwiches at the Danvers across the street didn't help, either. Give MEmphis!

Visits to Costco keep me out of those two places, and yes they are still there, plus a Taco Hell.

I loved those "Big Bag-o-Burgers" at 2 o'clock in the morning. :smile:

gf

I loved those "Big Bag-o-Burgers" at 2 o'clock in the morning. :smile:

gf

TN has a new DUI test.....

The officer will place a Krystal Burger 6" in front of your face.

If you take a bite, you have failed "field sobriety" and will promptly be arrested for DUI :sarcastic:

TN has a new DUI test.....

The officer will place a Krystal Burger 6" in front of your face.

If you take a bite, you have failed "field sobriety" and will promptly be arrested for DUI :sarcastic:

:unsure:

Hey Pascal,
What do you think about Squid Soup at the Viet Cong for lunch Friday? Let me know and I will talk to Kev.

New Threads

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back