Habenero Heaven

festus

God Bless Our Troops!!!
Here is the recipe for Global Warming(Think globally/poop locally)

WARNING MAY CAUSE INTESTINAL GAS BUILD UP...DO NOT EXPOSE TO OPEN FLAME...NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR WAL-MART BANNISHMENT!

Thermonuclear Texas Chili

Main ingredients
- 3 lbs. boneless chuck roast, cubed into 1/2-3/4" cubes (save the trimmed fat, dice and add to bacon)
- 1/4 lb. bacon, diced
- 3 small or 1 huge white onion, diced
- thick-sliced (not diced) garlic to taste
- 3 medium ripe tomatoes, skinned, seeded, roughly chopped
- 1 fresh pasilla chilie, fire-roasted, cleaned and diced
- 6 or so fresh yellow chilies, fire-roasted, cleaned and seeded
- fresh or bottled habanero chilies to taste, cleaned and finely diced (optional) >>>(WARNING - habaneros are the hottest chilie known to man - treat them with the respect they deserve! They are pure chemical warfare.)<<<
- 1/2 6 oz. can chipolte chilies, diced W/ the adobo sauce they're packed in
- 2 tsp. Mexican oregano
- 1 tsp. whole toasted cumin seeds
- 2 Tblsp. dark soy sauce
- Spike seasoning
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1-15 oz. can beef broth
- 1 bottle dark beer (stout, porter, dark bock or other dark beer, but nothing bitter)
- Corn flour or masa
- A handfull of fresh cilantro, chopped (not needed until served)
-----

Chili Powder Ingredients- 1 dried pasilla chili
- dried Thai (very hot) or New Mexico (not as hot) chilis to taste
- 1/2 tsp. Mexican oregano
- 1/4 tsp. granulated garlic

=================================================

Making the chili powder
(WARNING!!! If you touch cooked or cut chilies, your hands have the equivalent of pepper spray on them. Touching your eyes, nose or any other sensitive parts of your body will result in a painful experience you won't soon forget. You've been warned!) Open, seed and shred the dried pasilla chilie. Remove the stems from the hot dried chilies. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Put your cumin seeds on a piece of foil with a small spot of cooking oil. Toast them just for a couple minutes until they brown. Put the toasted cumin in a rotating-blade type coffee grinder or mini food processor, and add the oregano, granulated garlic and dried chilies. Grind to a coarse powder. You now have homemade chili powder.

Fire-roasting the fresh chilies
Chilies, especially when roasting them, should be handled only with rubber kitchen or surgical gloves, and a pair of plier to hold them while you flame them is useful, too (unless using a barbeque). Don't try to roast the habaneros. Use any intense, clean heat source to roast the chilies. I used a propane torch this time, but have used gas stove burners, barbeques, open fires and even candles. Get a thick plastic bag (like a regular ziplock) and put it aside. Completely char the outside of your chilies - we're talking black ash all over the outside here. If using a barbeque, get it as hot as huamnly possible and turn the little beggars as they get charred on one side. Once completely charred, throw them into the plastic bag and let them sit for at least 15 minutes (it steams the charred skin off, and cooks the flesh a little more). Take them out and rub the burnt skin right off. DON'T WASH THEM! DON'T PUT THEM UNDER RUNNING WATER! You'll wash away the tasty juices. Cut off the tops, open them up and remove all the seeds. Dice the flesh.:austin_powers:

Time to get busy...
Get a 6-quart covered heavy pot, and set it aside. In a big iron skillet, cook the bejesus out of the bacon and beef fat to render the lard. Once cooked, remove the bacon & fat bits from the pan and put them to the pot, leaving the grease in the frying pan. Get the grease really hot, and add the cubed chuck to the pan in batches, sprinkling the meat liberally with Spike seasoning immediately, browning it fast and dark brown, then throwing it in the pot. When all the beef is browned, reduce the heat and throw the diced onions in the pan. Brown them for a few mintues, then add the diced roasted chilies (but not the chipoltes) and garlic. Once the onions are browned nicely, throw it all in the pot. DON'T RINSE THE FRYING PAN! Put the pan back on the heat until it just starts to smoke. Quickly pour in the entire bottle of beer, scraping the bottom of the pan with the spatula as it foams and boils to get everything sticking to the bottom mixed into the beer (chefs call this 'deglazing the pan'). Immediately pour the liquid into the pot, and add all the other ingredients as well, except the cilantro and corn flour/masa. Bring to a full boil, then cover and simmer for at least two hours. Add a little corn flour or masa at a time (a teaspoon at most per shot), stir in and wait a couple minutes to see how it thickens the chilli. Continue until satisfied with thickness. Remove from heat and refrigerate overnight. Pull the pot out of the fridge, skim the congealed grease off the top of the chilli pot and reheat. Serve with chopped fresh cilantro on top as garnish, and spicy ranch beans and cornbread, fresh sourdough or tortillas on the side.

Tips
If you like a smokier taste, you can add mesquite chips to the barbeque when fireroasting your chilis, or if your don't use a barbeque for that, add liquid mesquite smoke (available at specialty barbeques-are-us type stores) to your chilli. Be careful, a few tiny drops of liquid smoke goes a long way - it's very potent stuff.

Letting the chilli sit in your refrigerator overnight, or even a couple days will better blend the flavors.

Spike seasoning
Spike seasoning can be found in your health food or diet section of your local market. Fred Meyer stores carry it in bulk bins in their health food section. I'm not by any means a health food nut, but Spike is great! Once you try it, you'll be hooked

. Chipotle chilies
Chipotle chilies in the can are a great thing! They are red, fully ripe jalepeno chilies that have been dried and smoked over a slow mesquite fire. Then, they pack them in the can with adobo sauce (a tomato-based mild spicy sauce) so the dried chilies soak it up. They have a rich, hot smoky flavor, and are great to cook with. Try using them to make killer nachos.

Chili history
Chili developed from cowboys on the trail making a stew of dried beef, dried tomatoes, dried onions, dried spices and the native wild Pequin peppers that grow in the southwest. Surprisingly, Mexicans find chili a crude, disgusting ripoff of their cuisene - which makes most Texans like it all the more. ;)

Chili etiquette
In Texas, where chili was born, putting beans in your chili gets your tarred and feathered. That's kinda odd, because the bizarre ingredients (cigar ash, chocolate, sour milk, pureed buffalo chips, to name a few from famous recipes) that go into secret family chili recipes beggar description. It is only limited by your imagination. In Arizona and New Mexico, green pork chili is a favorite. More than one knock-down, drag-out fight has occurred over whether you should eat chili with a spoon or fork (I'm not joking!). Midwesterners took the chili idea, but changed it to ground beef and beans instead of chunks of beef with no beans, giving us the basic recipe that you will find in a can in your supermarket today. Anyone from Texas will tell you loud and clear that the midwestern garbage just ain't chili! Some Texas purists claim that real chili doesn't even have tomatoes.

Chili as a food preservation technique
In emergency conditions, the peppers in the chili and the layer of grease on top will preserve the chili unrefrigerated for nearly a week, so don't skim the grease in those circumstances. Chili is survival food, whaddya know!

Chili is healthy:60:
Chili peppers are a blood thinner (prevents heart attacks) and a blood cleansing agent (gets those nasty toxins out of the system), and the peppers themselves are full of vitamin C and beta carotene. The beef in chili has important vitamins, complete proteins and necessary minerals. The vitamins are not destroyed by the slow cooking process used to cook chili. Contrary to popular belief, chilli is very healthy food.

The one true rule of chili
Enjoy!:icon_cheers:

Sounds good, I'll have to try it. When I make Chili I have to make two. One is HOT and the other is very MILD. The ones that can handle my Hot enjoy it straight from the pot and others have to mix it to get the heat level down. Everyone gets the way they like it.:biggrin:

Oh yeah, that recipe is going in the file. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to try it soon.

Thanks--When you're in search of the perfect bowl of chili, you've got to try them all!

:biggrin:

I may try this next fall when the weather turns cooler and I am ready to live dangerously.

WOO,thanks,Festus.I will be trying this one out.
I hope you don't mind,but I related your wal-mart story and this recipe to a few friends.I made sure to leave your signiture on the bottom to give proper credit.I'll let you know how my entrails handle the stuff.
Thanks again!

nah ol FESTUS aka butternuts didnt poop his pants, but between him and another coworker fart'n every 5 minutes its hard to tell sometimes. Festus is a good guy though on a seral note.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back