H.R. 822 is still troublesome

demory

As H.R.822 makes its way through the House of Representatives and most of the anti-gun ammendments were knocked down, it still leaves open, if passed, a way for liberals and democrats in the federal government to gain control of the requirements not only for reciprocity but for individual gun owners in each state making it more and more difficult for each of us to protect ourselves in keeping with the Second Ammendment. We each need to contact our congressmen and congresswomen to make sure the bill is written so as this scenario cannot occur.

I dont know if I like this bill. Sure it would be nice to be able to carry in every state, but I dont go CA or NY or IL anyway so I dont care. The feds will also be able to attach even more strict laws on where you can carry compared to the restrictions currently made by states, and the feds will make laws on how you can carry as well.
The federal government could be using their time more wisely by challenging states like IL, NY, and CA that outright violate the constitution.

They can try to pass additional restrictions anyway this bill in no way affects that one way or the other. Any pro gun law passed is a step forward. And I see this as the first step to challenging the no carry states by putting nationwide carry right in their lap.

I am completely against HR 822 for a number of reasons. First, it is not needed because we have the 2nd. Second, it gives the feds authority over states to dictate the rules of carry and eligibility to carry. These rules will only get tougher and make it almost impossible to carry. Third, it removes the ability for states to decide for themselves what is best for their citizens.

I feel sorry for those that live in ignorant states that ignore the Constitution, but I don't want the feds, who are notoriously anti-gun, to get involved. There is more to this than we now see, and will lead in the end to more gun control. The obvious reason the states have not absolutely rejected this is because they know it will lead to more gun control, of which govt at every level is in favor.

Any time a govt shows a positive feeling towards guns and carry, something's up. And let's call this what it is, Federal Gun Control.

NY is one of the states that doesn't believe in or follow the Constitution. Obviously.

NY is one of the states that doesn't believe in or follow the Constitution. Obviously.

That is why we don't need this bill. People continue to put up with the crap in NY and other states. We need to take the states and the courts back.

Hr822

well okay I see both sides but It would help with the ignorant states Such as CA (which I live in) By most states that are pro gun states can help us with the votes in DC. But you are Right if you want something screwed up let the Government get a hold of it. So As I can see there are two sides to it. let us just pray that it goes in our favor which ever that way it go.

So misinformed. Go to the NRA-ILA'S web site and LOOK at what this bill is. States retain the right to establish their laws, the feds have no say in a state by state basis. Also no fed registry. The bill is what it is and the NRA will keep it that way.

I'm not misinformed, I know history.

Currently the federal government has no say in any state's ccw laws.Once they pass a law that involves interstate ccw they can start dictating what the ccw laws are.

The current law has nothing objectionable, but I promise, once the federal government gets involved they will take control.

Don't believe me? Look at the history of our school systems, or highways. The feds have no right to put any regulations or requirements for either, but once they convinced the naive public that they were there to help and the states surrendered some control to them they, took over.

My bet is that if this passes, states with more requirements to obtained a permit/license will complained that they do not want to recognized the less restrictive states. So the feds will set a 'minimum standard'. Once they start setting these standards it will just snowball to a nightmare of restrictions.

Never ever give any control to the federal government.

Just to be clear, I am not anti-government, I just believe that legislation should be as local as possible.

Not true

spdracr39:236241 said:
They can try to pass additional restrictions anyway this bill in no way affects that one way or the other.

Not true, this legislation opens up ccw laws to federal control that is not possible now.

The federal government government cannot pass any laws dictating how states handle ccw within the state. Once a law is passed regulating interstate, they can get involved. The law is a Pandora's box, if it passes it will at best be a source of fighting for years to come. At worst, I don't want to sound paranoids but this is worst case, this could mean the end of broadly available ccw.

I seldom disagree with the NRA's position on firearms legislation, but in this case they are being very short sighted.

Bighouse Doc:236428 said:
Not true, this legislation opens up ccw laws to federal control that is not possible now.

Please give specific, articulable examples from the TEXT of the bill.

-Doc

Like I said it is not the current text.

I am sure the states with more restrictive requirements to get a permit/license will not want to recognize the less restrictive states.

A specific example is in some states the age for a permit is 18 and other states it is 21. The states with the 21 age will pressure congress to make an age 21 requirement on all states.

A clear example of where this has already happened, the federal government has no authority to set DUI standards, but because of highway funding laws, they have been able to set a required .08 BAC limit. (BTW: I believe the standard should be a much lower BAC , but this should be set at the state level not the federal level).

I'm on my phone so it is difficult to look up the quote, but LBJ said something to the affect of, don't judge a law on what it should do in the hands of honest men, but what it can do when abused by dishonest men.

Many post state that once the federal government gets involved, bills are automatically bad especially when dealing with firearms. (My summary)

What are your thoughts on FOPA?

imrambi:236482 said:
What are your thoughts on FOPA?

There are parts that are good, especially in regards to interstate transportation.
But as a general rule most of the laws in FOPA, even the parts I agree with should be done at the state level, not the federal.

A Better Bill -- HR2900

What i don't understand is why the NRA is pushing H.R. 822, a bill that requires a person to have a state-issued license and which does nothing for anyone in states like Illinois when H.R. 2900 is available and actually does what H.R. 822 is only claimed to do.

Link Removed
To amend chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, to provide for reciprocity in regard to the manner in which nonresidents of a State may carry certain concealed firearms in that State.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

September 13, 2011

Mr. BROUN of Georgia introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

A BILL

To amend chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, to provide for reciprocity in regard to the manner in which nonresidents of a State may carry certain concealed firearms in that State.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Secure Access to Firearms Enhancement (SAFE) Act of 2011'.

SEC. 2. RECIPROCITY FOR THE CARRYING OF CERTAIN CONCEALED FIREARMS.

(a) In General- Chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by inserting after section 926C the following:

`Sec. 926D. Reciprocity for the carrying of certain concealed firearms

`Notwithstanding any provision of the law of any State or political subdivision thereof:

`(1) A person who is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm, and is carrying a valid license or permit which is issued pursuant to the law of any State and which permits the person to carry a concealed firearm, may carry in any State a concealed firearm in accordance with the terms of the license or permit, subject to the laws of the State in which the firearm is carried concerning specific types of locations in which firearms may not be carried.

`(2) A person who is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm, and is otherwise than as described in paragraph (1) entitled to carry a concealed firearm in and pursuant to the law of the State in which the person resides, may carry in any State a concealed firearm in accordance with the laws of the State in which the person resides, subject to the laws of the State in which the firearm is carried concerning specific types of locations in which firearms may not be carried.'.

(b) Clerical Amendment- The table of sections for chapter 44 of title 18 is amended by inserting after the item relating to section 926C the following:

`926D. Reciprocity for the carrying of certain concealed firearms.'.

SEC. 3. EFFECTIVE DATE.

The amendments made by this Act shall take effect 180 days after the date of the enactment of this Act.

That's it. If you live in states like Arizona or Vermont, no permit is needed; you can carry concealed anywhere in the USA. Visiting Illinois? Carry is forbidden only in those places specifically banned by state law. Live in Illinois? Then send your money to Florida, Utah or Maine license for a license from one of those states and carry legally in spite of your totalitarian legislature.

H.R. 2900 would actually be a giant step back towards honoring the 2nd Amendment and would be a powerful spur to cause states to reform the difficulty and costs of obtaining one of their own licenses to carry. In fact, since citizens of states which don't require such permits would be able to carry nationwide, it would be a spur to state legislatures to recognize Constitutional carry for their own citizens.

Given the simplicity and lack of problems inherent in H.R. 2900's language I really, really have to question why the nation's major gun rights group is pushing the much more questionable and problematic H.R. 822.

That's it. If you live in states like Arizona or Vermont, no permit is needed; you can carry concealed anywhere in the USA. Visiting Illinois? Carry is forbidden only in those places specifically banned by state law. Live in Illinois? Then send your money to Florida, Utah or Maine license for a license from one of those states and carry legally in spite of your totalitarian legislature.

Isn't carry banned in the ENTIRE state of IL?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back