Gym carry?

toreskha

Titles are un-American.
Does anyone know of an ideal way to carry while working out at the gym? I'm a little hesitant to carry my P3AT on my person while running and lifting just because it seems like it will get in the way and break my concentration. The holster will also have to be washed regularly.

I've considered maybe getting a very small bag to carry around for towels, water, etc. IMO external carry is very practical in this situation because the most likely type of incident in a gym setting is probably a "deranged madman" who walks in the door and just starts blasting away, or possibly comes out of the locker room. Most people are there for a specific purpose, and those who aren't will tend to stick out. I'm usually not near the entrance, and if I hear shots near the front desk I would have a few seconds to seek cover, call 911 and draw before the shooter shows up.

Any other thoughts on this? I want to be low-profile, but also avoid getting sweat and possibly water on my gun and holster.

Alternately, the trip from or to my car is also a possible time for a problem, but I already carry in my gym bag, and keep that pocket partially unzipped. I'd like to get a holster made into the side though.

In this particular situation I would recommend a fanny pack designed for CCW. I have a pack that has a pocket for my firearm, an external pocket that holds an extra magazine and tactical light (never know when the power will go out), and a pocket in the back that holds my ID, CCW permit and some cash. My iPod Nano fits well in the back pocket as well. :smile: It's a perfect "low profile" way to discreetly carry. A lot of LEO in my area carry this way and blend in great among the other gym patrons with the same rig. There are the big time "roid" users that have a similar fanny pack, but it's packed with their "substances" and other "suppliments". :wink: You can hang the fanny pack from the treadmill handles or strap it around the weight bench while working out. Add a water bottle and ths tiny required gym towel to wipe down the machines and you're set.

gf

Hmmm...well, I might look into that if it has space for a Nalgene. What pack do you use?

No specific brand name. It's a simple leather fanny pack designed for CCW that I picked up at a gun shop in NV. I previously used a nylon Blackhawk pack. The guys in the shop "made me" instantly and suggested the leather pack to be more discreet. After observing folks in various areas where I travel, the leather pack does look less conspicuous. :sly:

gf

Hmmm...well, I think you've turned me on to the concept of fanny packs as a practical solution. The only problem is that CCW packs don't seem to very often look like they "belong" in the gym. Link Removed and backcountry.com sell a lot of things that wouldn't look out of place at all. I'll go look at a number of these and find one that will work well. Alternately I might end up performing some structural modifications to attach a holster internally, but it would be worth it for a custom fit.

It's surprising to me that there isn't more of a demand for this sort of thing.

Might not be so good for weight lifting but for running The Urban Strider is a good choice. Check it out.

Link Removed

Another Perspective

To me (and many others) a Fanny Pack shouts 'Gun!!' - and would make it easy to be 'made'. I'm with the other posters that like the type of pack that would not be so obvious.

To me (and many others) a Fanny Pack shouts 'Gun!!' - and would make it easy to be 'made'. I'm with the other posters that like the type of pack that would not be so obvious.
A fanny pack in the grocery store or the bank would be very suspicious; one that looks like it was bought on a CCW site would shout "gun!", especially if it's made out of black cordura. However, a small yellow one that has a bottle of water and is attached to a towel would look completely appropriate in a gym.

I have seen people carrying these around - as Glock Fan said, they often have supplements, occasionally steroids, or whatever in there. I don't use steroids but I do use legal supplements and vitamins...normally I carry these in my pocket because I don't like to carry a lot of stuff, but in fact this may be more convenient AND allow me to work out while packing. It also means I may be able to carry something larger than my normal P3AT.

Personally, I'm not one for off body carry, but thats just personal choice. When I go to the gym I where a smart carry under my jogging pants while I lift weight. It works really well and does not get in the way. However, the holster sits on an elastic belt which tends to bob up and down just a bit during running. Some people I know find this very annoying others do not. I'd +1 on the fanny pack type idea though, it probably will not shout gun in a gym situation, but keep the pack in close watch and near by. People tend to swip things like that. I particularly like finding one with a water bottle loop or something. You can easily make it look like a standard gym supply bag. I see people once in a while carry those with wipes for the equipment, a towel to dry of some sweat, and water. You'll have to let us know what you find to work.

I'd +1 on the fanny pack type idea though, it probably will not shout gun in a gym situation, but keep the pack in close watch and near by. People tend to swip things like that.
I don't intend to let it get any farther than arm's length away.

I have a Camelbak backpack which has a roomy pocket...the P3AT fits in but it's a squeeze, and I think it would start to print with moisture buildup. Getting it out would also be difficult, as I'd have to first remove the bag itself, and the actual draw would be awkward. However, it would be a great place for a slim knife or a tightly wrapped chain. No one is likely to try to access it from behind as it hugs the body closely.

I'll look around later this week and take some pictures. It'll be interesting. The hippies in the kayak store will have no idea what I'm really looking for. :lachen:

I guess I'm wondering why you feel like you need to carry in the gym. Is there actually a threat potential, or does this fall under the header, "General Paranoia?" There are no products available to suit this need because frankly, there isn't a need. I've never heard of such a thing.

I guess I'm wondering why you feel like you need to carry in the gym. Is there actually a threat potential, or does this fall under the header, "General Paranoia?" There are no products available to suit this need because frankly, there isn't a need. I've never heard of such a thing.

Truth is that you NEVER know when you'll need your firearm for protection. If we were able to predict when an incident WILL happen, I'd sooner be somplace else.

gf

Ummmmm, yeah, I get that part. But carrying in the gym? I mean c'mon, that's ridiculous. I couldn't live my life that paranoid. Just leave it in your locker. I carry as often as I can as long as it is safe, reasonable, and legal. I certainly don't consider the gym a reasonable place to carry a weapon, if for no other reason then I don't want to get sweat, water bottle moisture, or any other number of unnecessary contaminants on my gun, and I'm really not in to the idea of not having it strapped to my side at all times. It's way more likely someone will steal your fanny pack in the gym then it is that a crazed gun toting meth addict will bust through the front doors filling the air with lead, and that's going to be pretty weak when he swipes your fanny pack and uses your gun against you and your gym buddies. So what do you propose, wear a fanny pack with your gun in it the entire time you work out? Let me know how that works out, man.

Do BG ever break in to gym lockers??? I'm not one to leave a LOADED firearm unattended. If you leave it in your car, then you're "at risk" between the car and the gym. If you don't want to carry in the gym, then don't. If another person wants to exercise their right, then why not? There's no reason to slam people here for wanting to protect themselves. The one time you say it will "never" happen, you'll get a rude awakening, and it will.

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?s_hidethis=no&p_product=PBPB&p_theme=pbpb&p_action=search&p_maxdocs=200&p_field_label-0=Author&p_field_label-1=title&p_bool_label-1=AND&p_text_label-1=Lake%20Worth%20man,%20woman%20arrested%20in%20shooting%20at%20gym&s_dispstring=headline(Lake%20Worth%20man,%20woman%20arrested%20in%20shooting%20at%20gym)%20AND%20date(01/10/1989%20to%2001/13/2008)&p_field_date-0=YMD_date&p_params_date-0=date:B,E&p_text_date-0=01/10/1989%20to%2001/13/2008)&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date:D&xcal_useweights=no

gf

Last edited:
Hey listen, fair enough. If someone wants to exercise ANY right, I'm not going to stand in their way. It is after all, their business and not mine. I completely agree.

What makes you think your safe anywhere. Yes people are attacked and killed in gyms(use google and you will see where attacks are not unheard of in gyms) ,food establishments,schools and even in their homes. I carry to protect myself and family, unless it is unlawful to do so where I am , I carry. I hope I never need it but I pray if I do it's not locked in a locker where I can't get to it.

BTW the smartcarry will work perfectly for this need as it has a sweatproof back panel. I know a lot of people who work out and jog using them.

I agree that there is no "safe" place. There may be some places that are more or less likely for one to be attacked. In fact more often than not after an attack the first thing someone says is "I never thought that would happen here." So I do not try to second guess where I may or may not need my firearm but rather make a practice of having it with me as much as possible all the time. Is that being paranoid? If it is then fasting my seat belt to drive two blocks is paranoid. Guess what? I would rather be paranoid than dead.

I agree that there is no "safe" place. There may be some places that are more or less likely for one to be attacked. In fact more often than not after an attack the first thing someone says is "I never thought that would happen here." So I do not try to second guess where I may or may not need my firearm but rather make a practice of having it with me as much as possible all the time. Is that being paranoid? If it is then fasting my seat belt to drive two blocks is paranoid. Guess what? I would rather be paranoid than dead.

Well said HK. Better to be a little "paranoid" then to wish you were "paranoid" after something happens.

gf

Whenever someone brings up the question of "aren't you being paranoid to carry everywhere?" I am reminded of something that we bring up when teaching concealed carry classes. There is a very good chance that if you start being selective about carry, i.e. only carrying when you think you are going into an "at risk area", the day may come when you are forced to use your weapon to defend yourself and you may then find yourself in court....

Prosecutor: So, why, on the day in question, did you take a gun with you?

You: Because I was going into a risky place and I thought I might need to defend myself.

Prosecutor: Well, if it was a risky place then why didn't you avoid it alltogether?

You: ..........

Prosecutor: Ladies and Gentleman of the jury, it is obvious that the defendant knowingly went into a dangerous situation with the means and intent to shoot someone when he happened upon my client, who was minding his own business and..........

Don't say it can't happen either because we all know some of the utter crap that a lawyer can twist people's words or actions into. It would go much easier like this....

Prosecutor: So, why, on the day in question, did you take a gun with you?

You: I always carry a gun for protection.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back