Guns and Travel Trailers

Dragonflyspit

A friend of mine has recently begun full-timing in a travel trailer, and is planning to spend some time in California and other places in the Southwest. He will be traveling with his handgun collection. He wants to know where he can find information about the laws regarding travel trailers as homes vs. vehicles -- especially in California, e.g., what are his rights with regard to police search & seizure, etc.? Are the police able to search his trailer with only "probable cause" like a car, or would they need a search warrant like they would for a house?

I won't be able to check back for several days, but thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

I didn't read all the information, but handgunlaw.us has a section called car/rv carry. It appears most states consider it the same as car carry. He would probably need to visit each states web site he plans to travel in. Usually there is a section about handgun laws. Good luck.

A friend of mine has recently begun full-timing in a travel trailer, and is planning to spend some time in California and other places in the Southwest. He will be traveling with his handgun collection. He wants to know where he can find information about the laws regarding travel trailers as homes vs. vehicles -- especially in California, e.g., what are his rights with regard to police search & seizure, etc.? Are the police able to search his trailer with only "probable cause" like a car, or would they need a search warrant like they would for a house?

I won't be able to check back for several days, but thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

I travel from Las Vegas to California with my travel trailer at least once a month. I'm trying to find the exact legal code (I'll post when I find it).

But basically, when driving, the trailer is considered a vehicle. If you leave the weapon unloaded and locked up in the trailer, it is considered in a locked compartment separate from the driver and legal.

The very minute you stop and make camp, under CA law the trailer is now considered your residence, and the weapon no longer needs to be locked, and in fact can be loaded. This even applies in state parks.

I'll dig around to find the specific code that spells it out, and post it up when I do. The links to these laws were originally on packing.org, so it's going to take me a bit to dig them up.

Doesn't site the specific law, but here is a flyer from NRL.

See the CARRYING AND TRANSPORTATION IN VEHICLES section on page 3

Link Removed

12031. .....
(l) Nothing in this section shall prevent any person from having a
loaded weapon, if it is otherwise lawful, at his or her place of
residence, including any temporary residence or campsite...

You have all been very helpful. Thank you.

Unfortunately, my friend isn't computer literate, so I'll have to look up the information you've provided and mail it to him. If anyone knows of any printed publications, that would be even more helpful since he could purchase or subscribe to them himself.

Thanks again for your help.

http://www.gunlaws.com/

Well don't know where the other reply went so I'll give it another try:mad:
Books, CD's & DVD's

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan