Gun Under the Seat....

Feldon22

Just heard this on the news, Figured you guys would like to know....

Link Removed

This is a step forward. But, guns under the seat is inconvenient; there should be no problem with a gun carried openly or hidden in a person's own property.
And, does this commenter (FTFA) think before he posts?
ちょうどゲームを失った。
Part of me is for this, but I'd have to read the proposed bill. The issue I have is that the gun should only be accessible by the driver, it shouldn't be capable of sliding into the back seat or be grabbed from the back seat. Something that secures it in that location is all I ask for.
Did he mean to say that nobody in a car except the driver should be able to access a firearm?

This is a step forward. But, guns under the seat is inconvenient; there should be no problem with a gun carried openly or hidden in a person's own property.
And, does this commenter (FTFA) think before he posts?

Did he mean to say that nobody in a car except the driver should be able to access a firearm?

I read it as saying that no one else in the car should have access to the driver's firearm.

This is stupid. Under the car seat is the last place I would want my carry firearm. Dirt, crap, barrel obstruction come to mind. You would ruin a good holster. Not to mention it can be accessed by your child in the back seat without the drivers consent, or knowledge.
The front seat passenger will have zero access to it.
While your drawing your carry firearm from under the car seat, while you are bringing it to bear, you will sweep everyone inside, and outside of your the car with the muzzle.
What if your car is moving, and you need your firearm?
While some thug is trying jack your car, you are feeling under the seat for your piece? No F'ing way.
Remember the dog you breaked hard to avoid, now your firearm is under your floor pedals. Even worse if you drive a toyota.
On the body, center console, or glove compartment. Or in the trunk, or safe box. Never under the seat.
Under the seat is where criminals keep their gats. Ever watch Cops?

Whether it's a good place or bad, I can honestly say under the seat is a natural place to put a pistol. I grew up in S.C., still here, and my father always put his S&W 38 in a holster under the drivers seat.

Many years ago I hit the breaks on my car and a Pepsi bottle (I think it was) rolled out from under the seat and between the brake and floorboard, I almost wrecked because of that. It scared the whatever out of me and now I never allow anything to be stowed und the drivers seat unless it is secured. This goes for guns also and it the one part of this bill I do not like. Placing your gun under the seat of you car without it being secured is asking for trouble and as someone else said it just about the last place I would carry one.

I personally would like to see a bill that allowed a seat holster - or under-dash holster. This makes much more sense to me.... under the seat is not a place for a firearm IMO

I'll post the same thing that I did on another forum.

Storing under the seat is bad for a myriad of reasons. Accessibility and accidents are just two of them.

What SC needs to do is pass a law that allows the use of a "car" holster.

It will be interesting to read the bill to see what else is in it.

Here ya go: 2009-2010 Bill 3298: Handgun - South Carolina Legislature Online

A BILL​

TO AMEND SECTION 16-23-20, AS AMENDED, CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, RELATING TO THE CARRYING OF A HANDGUN, SO AS TO PROVIDE THAT A PERSON MAY LAWFULLY STOW A HANDGUN UNDER THE SEAT OF A VEHICLE.

Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:

SECTION 1. Section 16-23-20(9)(a) of the 1976 Code, as last amended by Act 28 of 2007, is further amended to read:

"(a) secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle, or stowed under a seat. However, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver's license, registration, or proof of insurance; or"

SECTION 2. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.

I would be nice to be able to stow it under the seat if you need ti disarm to go in somewhere but I personally would not want under there when the vehicle was in motion.

Thanks for the link. Too bad they didn't go ahead and extend private property carry rights to vehicles!

For some reason i am thinking that this is not the latest version of the bill and the one that has emerged from committee or sub-committee is different. If it does contain this language they need to remove the first or. :no: Wording like this can cause great problems down the road.

secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle, or stowed under a seat.

With the present sentence structure an English Grammar expert could easily claim that the additional or means that to be stowed under a seat requires it to be in a closed container. Then there would be another fight.

Last edited:
...With the present sentence structure an English Grammar expert could easily claim that the additional "or" means that to be stowed under a seat requires it to be in a closed container...
I haven't been following this bill, so I haven't seen or read the intention of it's author. But not only could it be construed to mean that, I'm almost willing to bet that it is intended to mean that. When you look at all the other acceptable methods of storage, you see that NONE of them allow for immediate access to the firearm. All of them require, at the very least, some container or compartment to be opened. It seems to me that this is just an additional location that is acceptable to place your closed container.

House says OK to guns under car seats

Link Removed

House members voted 104 to 0 to allow South Carolinians with concealed weapons permits to stow their guns under their vehicle seats.

That's in addition to the other places already allowed by law: a vehicle trunk and glove compartment. The bill, sponsored by Rep. Bakari Sellers, D-Bamberg, now heads to the Senate where two-thirds of senators must agree to take up the bill

Link Removed

House members voted 104 to 0 to allow South Carolinians with concealed weapons permits to stow their guns under their vehicle seats.

That's in addition to the other places already allowed by law: a vehicle trunk and glove compartment. The bill, sponsored by Rep. Bakari Sellers, D-Bamberg, now heads to the Senate where two-thirds of senators must agree to take up the bill
That's a poorly written synopsis, isn't it? I haven't read any updated version of the bill, but if it hasn't been changed since the OP, the bill was to allow that storage location without a permit. And of course we all know that the trunk and glove box are allowed without a permit. But the article suggests otherwise.

Typical media ignorance.

That's a poorly written synopsis, isn't it? I haven't read any updated version of the bill, but if it hasn't been changed since the OP, the bill was to allow that storage location without a permit. And of course we all know that the trunk and glove box are allowed without a permit. But the article suggests otherwise.

Typical media ignorance.

Very true. Not much more here either. Link Removed

OK, reading that article, it seems that the bill was just changed at the last minute. The bill now adds to the existing code:
If the person has been issued a concealed weapons permit pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31 of Title 23, then the person also may secure his weapon under a seat in a vehicle, or in any open or closed storage compartment within the vehicle's passenger compartment

So originally it seems that it would have allowed a "closed container" under the seat for non-permit holders. Now, it allows only permit holders to stow under the seat (not necessarily in any container) or in any opened or closed compartment anywhere in the vehicle.

What a freakin' waste of time. They just added more confusion to the already not-so-clear regulations. If they are going to spend the time crafting supposed pro-gun legislation, why not just get it over with and allow completely unrestricted carry inside a vehicle?

If the person has been issued a concealed weapons permit pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31 of Title 23, then the person also may secure his weapon under a seat in a vehicle, or in any open or closed storage compartment within the vehicle's passenger compartment

This might be a plus for us. The way I read it we will be able to store it in the door compartment or covey hole in the dash. A cup holder could be considered a storage compartment. To heck with under the seat they can strike that out for all I care!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back